PDA

View Full Version : Yet another high/fast idle thread

MsConduct
03/07/2011, 09:55 AM
Hi All!

First of all, I have searched on "high idle" and perused the many threads. Enough so that I am convinced that this is a job for a real mechanic, beyond my ability or patience to fiddle with. But, before I take it in, I want to make sure the mechanic will be able to reproduce the problem easily.

Here's my issue... I really only notice it after driving downhill on some twisty roads, where I have to downshift to use the engine braking. The problem appears when I then shift back to "D" or Park. The thing roars up to 3200 or 3500 rpm. Unfortunately, the mechanic is in a pretty flat area so I don't know that he will be able to reproduce the problem without an excursion.

Is there a way to simulate the engine braking so that the problem is reproducible? Thanks in advance!

tom4bren
03/07/2011, 10:51 AM
Just let the mechanic know when you drop it off. He can certainly 'engine brake' during his test drive.

Before you take it in though, you may want to try it yourself. Find an area that is similar to where the mechanic will be driving (flat). Get up to speed (50mph) & shift from D to 3, then from 3 to 2. Come to a complete stop and shift to P. If you can't recreate the symptom then your mechanic probably won't either.

On the other hand, he may not need to. He may be able to diagnose the problem without recreating the situation.

Have you tried to run a tank of gas with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner added? Sounds hokie but worth a shot.

MsConduct
03/07/2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks! Fuel injector cleaner sounds easy enough. I will definitely give that a try.