PDA

View Full Version : VX reliability?

dontbesojumpy
03/05/2011, 12:11 AM
i've had a crush on these cars since they came out. they fell off my radar but i am looking at jeeps and thought "OH YEAH! Vehicross!"

but i seem to recall hearing they are highly unreliable and suffer a plethora of mechanical issues--not to mention they are very limited and sparse so parts are hard to come by.

is that true? are they a bad idea to buy at this point, in this day and age, as a daily driver?

Ascinder
03/05/2011, 04:35 AM
I don't know where you heard unreliable or a plethora of mechanical issues, but that's BS. Yes, the engines do burn oil, and there is a trend of them blowing up at random, but to be fair, there are many more vehicles that use the same engine which dont suffer from a negative reputation because of it. We just have a pretty active and vocal forum so the issues comes up and gets the limelight. There are a lot different posts about issues with things, but they are largely minor and are easily fixed. The fun of owning a Vehicross easily outweighs any and all of it's quirks. I am a VX lifer though so :bgwo:

RICHARD PAYNE
03/05/2011, 04:41 AM
NO, like any other vehicle they have their own personality. I am a dealer and web site is DetailDrivenautos.com. We usually have from 2-4 for sale and they sell quickly. We know what what their quirks are. They are not difficult to work on but they are not a Chevy 350 from 1968 either. The parts are generally readly available and the forum is here to help you with any questions. We are here for you. Some parts are available from what used to be the Isuzu dealers. Some are available used. I am still in search for a parts VX so eventually that will be available too. I personally love them they are great off road buy feel like a sports car utility not a pickup with a full passenger compartment. Good luck with your decision.

CoastieCosta567
03/05/2011, 06:42 AM
My VX has about 160,000 miles, still same engine and tranny. Yes like most or may i say all, age will take a toll on every vehicle, so yes you will need to think about replacing things here and there but cuz of age, and thats it. I recommend, if you want one, ether have the cash to maintain it like every other make and brand out there, or have some minor mechanical skills, like oil change, boot changes, stuff like. And if you don't have those skills, don't give up just yet, Vehicross.info is here to teach and show you the ropes and trades to have a wonderful rig and a reliable one that you can enjoy every single day. But i do worn you though, you WILL catch your self and others will catch you staring at your rig from every corner randomly.

rowhard
03/05/2011, 07:12 AM
you WILL catch your self and others will catch you staring at your rig from every corner randomly.

To true, love seeing mine as I walk up to it in a parking lot, or anywhere I can take in it's beautiful lines, especially the front clip.

Yes, parts might become a issue down the road, parts that are peculiar to the VX, but underneath it is a trooper/roadeo, so mechanical parts are in the supply system.

VXKat has put together an extensive list of items to check when looking for that VX, so grab it before you go out the door for a test drive/inspection of that special VX you find:drool2:

VehiX
03/05/2011, 07:31 AM
The VX is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned!

126,000 miles and running strong :)

johnnyapollo
03/05/2011, 07:43 AM
Best Truck or SUV I've ever owned - going on 150,000 miles.

-- John

VX KAT
03/05/2011, 09:52 AM
1) Here's a really good, detailed thread that covers just about every issue pertinent to the VX. It was started by an interested potential buyer, like yourself. He did end up buying one a few months later, after he got ALLLLLLL his questions answered so he could make a decision.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=186590#post186590

2) Here's a group of threads that cover the oil consumption issue very well, including theories on what causes it.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=216316&postcount=7

http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=216597&postcount=20

3) Here's the Questionnaire we developed to help new buyers like yourself, learn about pertinent issues and things to check on when buying one.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=210436&postcount=3

4) If you want a REALLY comprehensive/ detailed list of issues and items to check, I started to create a 2nd Questionnaire. It's never been finalized really, but here's the thread.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19664&highlight=VX+QUESTIONNAIRE-1+%28VQ1%29

We've got lots and lots of info on this site and you'll find the "search" button is your best friend, but if you can't find something, just ask! There's some amazing people on this forum, and the knowledge base is also amazing.

deermagnet
03/05/2011, 03:55 PM
I'm an original owner for almost eleven years with over 239,000 miles on my original engine and tranny. No complaints. This has been the most reliable, dependable, fun to drive, fun to own, fun to talk about, fun to work on vehicle I've ever owned. It's always been my daily driver and will continue to be for many more years.

Buying a used VX is no different than buying any other vehicle. You may get a nice, trouble free dream vehicle, or you could get a vehicle with a non-stop nightmare of expensive problems caused by the abuse and neglect of several former owners.

Check out My Maintenance Timeline (http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/maint.html)

Visit me at-
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mags/mags2/99vx.gif (http://www.99vx.com/)

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

ZEUS
03/05/2011, 05:18 PM
I had my VX for 4 years and the only problems I ever had with it were my fault. I passed mine on only because of my desire to build my own vehicle. The VX is not a cheap vehicle to own and it does have it's own quirks and limitations and intimidations. Still I knew that before I decided to buy one and bought one anyway. I figured if there was ever a time to own one, sooner is better than later! I don't regret my decision whatsoever because the VehiCROSS (along with this site) was the most entertaining/enjoyable, life altering vehicle I could have imagined. I still have thoughts of buying another one after I meet some goals...

So I would say pick out a good one and enjoy it and yourself for as long as you can before you settle on something else and regret not taking the leap.

pbkid
03/05/2011, 08:07 PM
I had my VX for 4 years and the only problems I ever had with it were my fault. I passed mine on only because of my desire to build my own vehicle. The VX is not a cheap vehicle to own and it does have it's own quirks and limitations and intimidations. Still I knew that before I decided to buy one and bought one anyway. I figured if there was ever a time to own one, sooner is better than later! I don't regret my decision whatsoever because the VehiCROSS (along with this site) was the most entertaining/enjoyable, life altering vehicle I could have imagined. I still have thoughts of buying another one after I meet some goals...

So I would say pick out a good one and enjoy it and yourself for as long as you can before you settle on something else and regret not taking the leap.

well put justin... i feel exactly the same way. I dont think i could of said it any better myself.

I miss my VX all the time.

dontbesojumpy
03/06/2011, 01:45 AM
awesome responses.
i can't stop looking at these. they just look so cool.

i currently have an isuzu space cab. i like the brand. but i also have an 02 focus--which i think most consider a really reliable car. mine has been a nightmare.
stupid nonsense goes wrong all the time.
my car before that--a 95 eclipse--was worse.
i think i have bad luck with cars...

i'll look and think and see what i can find. i keep finding a few lower-mileage (like mid sixties) and they are affordable.

i think i'd take the back seat out, keep it as a 2 seater and have the cargo space...part of my decision is based on the fact i need space to haul my supplies around (i'm a mural artist).

Cris
03/06/2011, 07:26 AM
A couple of sensors gas, tires and oil 214,000 still looks new. Take care of them and they { VX's} will take care of you!! Love mine! 1999 silver, one owner, me.

VX KAT
03/06/2011, 07:33 AM
In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a new member here "RICHARD PAYNE" that's started a used business. He's got several VXs for sale and some in process. He converts the fluid to synthetic and really gets them in great shape. One member, "surf-life" just bought one from him. Maybe check out his website or call him, see what he's got or can get.

http://www.detaildrivenautos.com/

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19543

BeeVenom
03/06/2011, 09:01 AM
Never a major problem with my VX! Small things are typical just like any other car. I've done belts, hoses, brake pads, rotors, tires, that kind of stuff. The windows ARE a problem although only my driver's one was bad and replaced regulator with a new OEM unit from Isuzu just recently and everything is like new again. I've always used synthetic oil and premium filters in my cars and that includes my VX too. A lot of stuff is still available through Isuzu (like the window regulator) and lots of aftermarket too. Nice ones are worth every penny! The fact that they are getting older makes them even cooler and more desireable. These trucks/suvs are awesome! :clap: GO VX!!!

nypdnarco69
03/07/2011, 08:29 PM
Hi can you tell me if I put the rancho shocks on will that give me a softer ride? Thank you.

VX KAT
03/07/2011, 08:54 PM
Hi can you tell me if I put the rancho shocks on will that give me a softer ride? Thank you.

Oh my, I can relate. There must a couple of dozen threads on just this point.
Two of my OEM shocks were blown, when I replaced them with the Rancho 9 way adjustable ones....improved ride some. If I put them on the softest setting, I actually get some floaty action going, like an old 60s or 70s land yacht....but still SLAMMIN' the rear when on rough gravel/dirt.....until I cut my rear bump stops in half. Made a huge improvement, much less slamming/jarring on rocky/dirt roads. Still a rough rider, no way around that. Short wheel base has a lot to do with that. But at least this helped it tremendously.

Start with this recent thread to read about it:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19628&highlight=bump+stops

btw...are you the one that bought the S/C Ebony from Richard??

Gussie2000
03/07/2011, 09:03 PM

Hey where on the bronx are you located ?

I drive to the bronx almost every weekend to visit friends

VXdoc
03/08/2011, 12:01 AM
You Know How People Who Have A Bad Experience With Something Tell Pretty Much Everyone. That Sounds Like The Case Here. All Vehicles Need A Little Tlc After A While. That's Why This Forum Is Here To Help Guide You In Your Experience. Personally I've Had 4 Jeeps And Not Impressed. The Vx's Are One Of A Kind And Great Little Runners. I've Seen These Things With Upwards Of 200k On Em Including Rodeo's, Axiom's, And Troopers. So It's Really Up To You. Might I Add If Your A Social Person... This Is A Great Conversation Starter For Auto Enthusiast. You'd Be Supprised As To How Much Attention They Really Attract. As For The The Expensive Part... What Auto Insn't? Some Parts May Be Hard To Find But The Vx Shares A Lot Of Parts With Other Isuzu's.

Anthony

Also ... All Vehicles Use Oil, Some Just Consume More Than Others

Riff Raff
03/08/2011, 12:10 AM
Anthony--- The "word" is to STOP capitalizing every single word in a sentence. Only capatilize the very first beginning word in a sentence, and leave all of the rest lower-case throughout. Your posting gave me a throbbing headache!!! Argh!!!

Sorry for the T/J gang.

:bgwb:

Scott Larson
03/08/2011, 01:48 PM
Maybe Tony is an ad writer, he definitely has mad typing skills; no "hunt and peck" there!

VX KAT
03/08/2011, 04:57 PM
I "think" the capitalization on first letter of every word is from doing it from a cell phone or smart phone on a certain setting...mine does that as default if I text and don't change it.....but please stop :flower:...it's making my eyes cross...:goof: