PDA

View Full Version : Air filter change

cooks 7
09/15/2003, 06:47 AM
The time has come to switch the VX over to a reuseable air filter. What kinda prices are people paying for K and N s. Also, where did you get them. Anybody tried a Accel Cool Blue yet? I was thinking about giving that a try. I have heard that they may flow a little more than a K and N. They list a size that fits the Trooper and cross referenced, it would fit a VX too. Any suggestions?

SPAZZ
09/15/2003, 07:04 AM
www.Calmini.com

johnnyapollo
09/15/2003, 07:33 AM
Dunno about the quality, but there is always someone selling a $30 cone filter on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2432334981

For that price, it may be worth a try.

-- John

Dallas4u
09/15/2003, 07:58 AM
K&N and AMSoil drop ins (replacements for the OE filter in the air box) may be a better bet than a cone filter without a heat shield... and possibly cheaper as well. K&N will probably run you $45, and an AMSoil maybe $40. If you do a search online for either you will find a few places for both.

Navigator
09/15/2003, 09:32 AM
For around $40 you can get a K&N Drop in filter. Try AutoZone and Pep Boys. Not hard to find at all, same filters as the 99-2001 Trooper. I noticed better off the line performance and a beefier intake sounds with this mod so it's a sound investment IMO.

nuk
10/01/2003, 07:09 PM
Can anybody tell me the part number for the k&n air filter.

Virus-VX
10/01/2003, 08:41 PM
K&N Drop-in Air filter -> 33-2064
K&N Oil filter -> HP-1004

I have K&N "Drop-in" air filter. I did not notice any improvements like gas mileage, or increase engine performance. So, I can feel no improvement whatsoever. Not worth the money as I can feel. I do not think that was a good investment. IMHO

WyrreJ
10/01/2003, 09:37 PM
I have had the K&N air filter in for about two months, and most of my driving is back-roads with a posted limit of 40mph with the occasional 80mph jaunt down the freeway. I have not noticed an increase in mpg, I have noticed an increase for off-the-line rabbit-starts, but it is small enough that it could easily just be placebo effect. However I did notice a relativelty big increase in noise from the intake (I also have had the elbow removed from day one). As someone who tends to prefer quite over loud when it comes to engines, I actually don't mind it and think it is a little cool.

nuk
10/02/2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks virus-vx.;Db;

Navigator
10/02/2003, 11:18 AM
I noticed more roar from the rush of air being sucked thru oily wire reinforced gauze right away. Wasn't sure of any major performance increase, until I put a stock filter in while recharging my K&N. The K&N does make a difference for the money, and at under $50, the bad azz intake roar is well worth it. Your performance may vary depending on elevation, temperature, etc... But I got better MPG and quicker off the line response.

Green Dragon
10/02/2003, 02:39 PM
I have a K&N with a cold air box & supercharged. Perhaps I am mistaken but one of the limiting factors of intake air would be the MAS screen. I have long since removed this screen & have to date suffered no ill effects ( Engine performance wise). As a matter of fact I have experienced a dramatic decrease in Check Engine light indications.

Dragon Bob;Db;

Dallas4u
10/02/2003, 02:52 PM
Screenless as well... in fact, I think Bob and I removed our screens at around the same time. I have yet to experience any ill effects (that I am aware of), and I am supercharged, too.

SGT.BATGUANO
10/03/2003, 02:20 AM
Aren't there 2 screens in the MAS? Did you remove all screens?

Dallas4u
10/03/2003, 08:26 AM
Not that I recall. Unless someone had already removed one when I bought my VX, my MAS only had one screen at the inlet. If you are careful, you can remove it without damaging the screen, therby being able to put it back in if needed. I, on the other hand, went ape-shat on mine when removing, and busted it up into what looked like a piece of screen art.

Cptnmorgan
10/03/2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Not that I recall. Unless someone had already removed one when I bought my VX, my MAS only had one screen at the inlet. If you are careful, you can remove it without damaging the screen, therby being able to put it back in if needed. I, on the other hand, went ape-shat on mine when removing, and busted it up into what looked like a piece of screen art.

Not sure why but this post just made me laugh. The image of someone going ape-shat on their MAS just seemed funny to me.......:D

Cary on.......

Dallas4u
10/03/2003, 01:27 PM
Maybe more monkey-shat... I proceeded to jam the butt end of a socket wrench into the screen until it came out... only then did I see how easy it could have been to remove it withough inflicting damage.