PDA

View Full Version : White Tire Lettering - Cool or Naff

kirk hilton
02/26/2011, 01:21 PM
After putting it off for a few months, today I bought a set of Yokogawa Geolandars (G012) for the VX, which for this are really impressive (and actually difficult to find in the UK apparently). What I want to know from you good people is .. is white tire lettering cool or naff?

vt_maverick
02/26/2011, 01:40 PM
Depends on color I think - looks good on neutrals (white, silver, black) but questionable on colors IMHO...

Got a pic for us to cheer or jeer? ;) :D

Y33TREKker
02/26/2011, 01:48 PM
It's easy enough to get an idea for yourself whether you'd like raised white letter tires on your VX by just using a basic graphics editing software program. I personally never make a styling change without first seeing what the change would look like virtually. You'll know pretty quickly whether your idea will look as good in reality as you think it looks in your imagination.

PK
02/26/2011, 01:54 PM
My Mickey Thompson tyres had white lettering on one side of them.
When I took my Austal Silver in for fitting, I stood the tyres beside the car and walked back 30'.
Decided to put the white lettering on the inside of the wheel where it can't be seen.

But that is just a personal opinion.

PK

etlsport
02/26/2011, 02:36 PM
i dont like the look of it on a VX.. on pickups and jeeps it looks pretty good...

crotchrocket
02/26/2011, 03:25 PM
Naff :D

VXjunky
02/26/2011, 03:32 PM
i turn the white lettering in...and usually go the extra mile an black out the white lettering with black spray paint as well

Osteomata
02/26/2011, 03:43 PM
I love the white lettering on bold tires for off road vehicles. I regret not taking more time in selecting tires for my little x90, I would have gone that route.

rowhard
02/26/2011, 04:00 PM
insert 2 cents

As you can see, what one person likes, another hates. Do what you like, period:yesy:

Riff Raff
02/26/2011, 08:07 PM
OK, I'll bite. Personally; I love "solid" (not outlined) RWL on tires, such as those from BFG. Unfortunately, most all other brands only have OWL (outlined) which are still better than regular black sidewall IMHO. I like colored outside tire lettering (whether common white or the new red from General Tire), as it really sets off the vehicle and also shows "motion" while the vehicle is moving (really cool to watch in big mall window store fronts).

Not every edition of a tire model has the OWL option. For example, the lightweight P-series Grabber AT2 is available only in blackwall, while its heavier LT-series twin sister of the AT2 (same size of 275/65R18) is available in OWL. If I ever purchase tires with OWL; then by damned they're facing outwards, because that's what was intended and it adds pizazz to my ride. I hate it when I see OWL tires inverted (blackwall-out), and I always think they mounted the tires improper.

On some tires like the G/Y - M/T-R with Kevlar; which is an asymmetric tread type tire, the OWL is forced to be mounted outside due to the tread design and should not be mounted inverted (just ask "MARLIN").

:bgwb:

Triathlete
02/26/2011, 08:19 PM
If you are putting them on a 70's muscle car...cool
If anything else...nuff

blacksambo
02/26/2011, 09:18 PM
Manufacturers today avoid the whitestuff on their designs.

Scott Harness
02/27/2011, 07:35 AM
If anything else...nuff
X2

kirk hilton
02/27/2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. It's strange that in most manufacturers' sites tires have white lettering but most fitters/suppliers they never ask whether you want white lettering - certainly in the UK. Certainly, having a look around a supermarket car park with it's many flash and 4x4 cars you will very seldom see white lettering. It used to be very common in the 70s 80s when customizing was that little bit more influenced by American culture but now Japanese customizing more influential. For the time being I'm leaving the white lettering but I may do it in summer and if I really don't like it I will get a fitter to turn them on the wheels (black letters outward)

Cobrajet
02/27/2011, 07:09 PM
If anything else...nuff

X2
X3

http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/70Cobra1.jpg

kirk hilton
02/28/2011, 03:42 AM
OMG - it's the Dukes of Hazzard

kirk hilton
02/28/2011, 03:52 AM
PS the word is 'naff' not nuff. Appearantly it's English polari slang for .. not available for 'king. As in "he's/she's naff" if they are in a stable relationship. Strange how it now means inferior, kitsch or in bad taste. Sorry if this posting is naff.

raver_boi_88
03/04/2011, 07:01 AM
i have a white ironman and I just bought some tires yesterday and I definately dig the white lettering on the outside...

nfpgasmask
03/04/2011, 08:51 AM
If anything else...nuff

Agreed.

Bart