PDA

View Full Version : Non-opening dual sunroofs

wekilled
02/22/2011, 08:15 PM
Considering finding a pair of marine windows to add (non-opening) dual sunroofs.

I have the Ford WindStar overhead console already, and was thinking they would look nice on either side of the overhead. Not squeamish about cutting holes, just looking for something better than these. I figure about 8" wide and a few feet long will look nice on either side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Portlights-Pair-28-x7-5-Boat-Windows_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26i tuQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d 7281079580492414103QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ 26448QQitemZ120626093112

I know there is no practical reason for doing such a surgery, still committed at some point. If I can find something better maybe off of a canopy or something that wont be recessed (and keep water from pooling) I'll take input.

Thoughts?

VehiX
02/22/2011, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure this is a good idea. If I'm not mistaken there are cross bars going across under the roof and above the head liner. This I believe is the reason some folks haven't shot for the VXo2 look due to stability reasons. Besides, most of the marine windows are Plexiglas from what I've seen. Plexiglas on the roof isn't gonna last that long.

Also, any cut metal should be prepped, primed and painted ASAP after cutting!

It's your VX though, have at it if you like :)

wekilled
02/22/2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I am digging into the crossbar issue. Every vehicle I owned I was able to rework them and bolt them into a different location, so that wasnt my (biggest) concern. Wasnt too worried about the paint prep as I wedged a split sunroof into my '95 Amigo (just barely) making it almost a full glass top. Loved it. It required nibbling a little off the frame on either side but not enough to compromise it.

I think my biggest issue thus far is finding (as you mentioned) the right glass, and finding a window that isnt recessed to prevent water pooling. Paint prep is standard. Was planning on that as a no-brainer.

I just dont think the VX is like cutting into a high value sports car. With enough research and planning, I think it can be done right.

Just might not happen tomorrow. Hoping someone out there knows of some specialty windows to reappropriate.

Exclamation
02/22/2011, 10:22 PM
Maybe you could take the glass from a sunroof of another vehicle from a salvage yard and make it work? being that it worked on the previous vehicle why not with a project like this?

Riff Raff
02/22/2011, 11:33 PM
Doug--- You seriously need to quit breathing that secondhand wacky-tobacky smoke in Monterey, CA. It's making you delusional.

If you want overhead windows to let the sunshine (and fresh-air) in, then do it the right way. Get rid of the cheesy overhead console and have an electric moon-roof installed by a professional sunroof shop (you saw my electric moon-roof on my Proton at our Longhorn Saloon VX meeting in Lakewood, WA). An electric moon-roof is the only way to go on the VX.

:bgwb:

workmeistr
02/23/2011, 04:51 AM
I recommend the upper green house windows from a UH-1H Huey.:happyface

johnnyapollo
02/23/2011, 05:09 AM
You'll roast in the sun if you don't have some type of cover - one of the advantages of going with Webasto/Hollandia is that it has a slide cover just like a factory moon roof...

RickOKC
02/23/2011, 08:12 AM
I like the shape. With a left & a right you could make the Isuzu logo! :)

Luna X
02/23/2011, 02:09 PM
If you are looking for that dual window look, how 'bout a couple garage door windows?

wekilled
02/23/2011, 06:26 PM
I still think it could be done, if I did I would mirror tint the windows first. I think a non-opening window would solve the potential for leakage problem as well.

The one I put in my '95 Amigo was the common manual split sunroof that was popular in the 90s. I think its too wide for the VX though. I like manual roofs anyway. easier to adjust, and tinker with.

I can't claim its a rational decision and I won't do it without substantially more research till I'm comfortable. (I was in fact going for the Huey greenhouse window look.) Other issue is the ribbing on the roof to get a smooth fit (one of many issues-right).

I guess bottom line is the reason I love this site so much is it's a great sounding board for crazy ideas and getting feedback (sometimes to save us from ourselves). But its a great place to go "what if?.."

Anyway no matter, I don't plan on tackling something like this any time soon as I have been accumulating a box of parts that still need installing (A pillar for triple gauges, Amigo spare holder, fog lights and triple switch panel, LED license plate frame, LED round lights for rear bumper, Windstar overhead console) absolutely none of these are installed as of yet, as is the passenger door panel I took off to troubleshoot the sticking issue. I have plenty to keep me busy before I cut any holes in the roof. (In addition to studying for Masters, and my second phase of tattoo work.)

Mile High VX
02/25/2011, 06:55 AM
This might give you a good idea of what the roof support and structure looks like:

http://www.beszeljukmeg.com/VX/Sound_Damping/vxsd.html

Sounds like a great idea!

etlsport
02/25/2011, 07:01 AM
i think the biggest problem you will have even if you work around the support beams is that our roof is not flat.. so you will have to find a way to flatten out the ridges on the roof so that they look nice and dont leak

as far as i know everyone who has done a sunroof on their VX has stopped it before getting to the ridges on the roof, dont think anyone has tried cutting through them

edit.. just re-read the post, guess you already mentioned the ridges on the roof.. i am curious to see what you could come up with for that

wekilled
02/25/2011, 01:55 PM
Great images! This will help me do some measuring (if) I attempt this idea. It looks like the pieces are bolted in, rather than tack-welded, so that will help. Still thinking on the ridge issue.