PDA

View Full Version : place to install amp?

valenki
09/14/2003, 09:06 AM
Hey to all the happy vxers, hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend. As some of you might now from giving me advices in the past I am replacing the system in my truck. One of the biggest delemas is space. I have no clue where to put my amp. Putting it in the back wouldnt work, cause then the space becomes unusible for camping and cargo..... any ideas? thanks

omegavx
09/14/2003, 09:11 AM
I've read some posts where they've installed under the driver seat. You might try there.

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002077.html
http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001127.html

WyrreJ
09/14/2003, 10:04 AM
I haven't done mine yet, but I'm thinking about using the blaupunkt digital amps. They are relative small and produce little to no heat so are suitable for mounting in places that regular amps ought not go. So, I'm thinking about maybe putting them behind the paneling somewhere in the back. You could probably even hang them from the ceiling in the back with no problems.

Hotsauce
09/14/2003, 11:09 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/111tubedriverblue2150.jpg

Heres my amp, a Tubedriver Blue. The shot is with seat slid all the way forwards. I did have to drill out the spotwelds on the rear of the seat track to remove the shield piece.

There ia a block of felt just infront of the crossmember behind the seat. its under the carpet. remove this for more amp room.

John C.

paultvx
09/14/2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
I haven't done mine yet, but I'm thinking about using the blaupunkt digital amps. They are relative small and produce little to no heat so are suitable for mounting in places that regular amps ought not go. So, I'm thinking about maybe putting them behind the paneling somewhere in the back. You could probably even hang them from the ceiling in the back with no problems.

That's what I have. They are much smaller than conventional amps and don't need as much breathing space. I took out/trimmed the foam spacer under the carpet to make room for the amps... so both amps are under the carpet. Nothing is visible. The amps do get hot though...despite their claims. However, I haven't had the amps shut down because of heat yet. Almost a year now... no problems except one.

I think the amps are picking up interference from the TOD computer. There's a slight buzzing coming from the speakers... no big deal... just turn the volume up and it isn't noticeable.

I'll probably move the amps behind one of the rear interior panels one of these days. Based on my experience, any installation that has anything exposed (even just a glimpse of a cable)... amounts to an open invitation for vandalism.

Dallas4u
09/14/2003, 06:19 PM
I have an MTX under the drivers seat, and a Lightning Audio behind the paneling, right behind the jack in the rear.

Here are some pics:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/181000-181999/181270_5_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/181000-181999/181270_21_full.jpg

valenki
09/14/2003, 06:42 PM
thanks for your input guys! I really apreciate it. I wish I had the money to buy those newer, smaller cooler amps but I just poured a bunch of cash in the stuff I already bought. I have a book c omputer wiuth dvd and gps. It is 500 mghz. I am also bidding on a 10.4 monitor on ebay that I am going to put in the front right over the head unit and the central vents. My computer will go in the space in stead of the glove compartment.

The best idea for the amps that suits me is making a false floor in the cargo compartment. I think it is extremely good idea. Both myu amps will fit there and they will be easier to cool.

this setup can be seen here:
http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001127.html

I think this is extremely practical.

What do you guys think?

kpaske
09/14/2003, 09:15 PM
I've got one amp under my front seat and one mounted inside the rear door, on top of my sub box. I had originally planned to build an amp rack similar to the one in the link you posted (only with a hinged top that would open to display the amps and wiring), but I decided that I preferred to have them hidden as much as possible.

The amp under the front seat measures 12"x10.5"x2.25". The fit was very tight and didn't allow the seat to move freely. Although cutting out the carpet probably would have given me the extra few millimeters of space I needed, I opted to raise the seats up a bit by installing some spacers under the rear seat mounts. This raised the rear of the seat up about an inch, allowing better access to the amp as well as some air space to keep it cool. You don't even notice the difference in height, and no further modifications were needed.

One of these days I'll get some photos taken, but unfortunately I don't have a digital camera yet.

coachreed
09/15/2003, 04:52 AM
I had fabricated a REALLY nice looking amp rack for the rear cargo area, but didn't think about the seats NOT reclining after install... needless to say, the amprack got yanked out quick as I want this feature to remain. Now my amps (Arc Audio (http://arcaudio.com/) 4150 (http://www.arcaudio.com/arc/navigation/cxl4150prodp.htm) & 1500D (http://www.arcaudio.com/arc/navigation/cxl1500prodp.htm)) are just mounted to carpeted board which I made the same size and shape as the factory cargo mat... it even has slots for the cargo net hoods to come throuh which keeps it from ever sliding if I have the seats folded and tumbled. I plan to make a cover in the future but when it gets done, it will have to allow the seats to recline. IF anyone were to be interested in the amp rack I had built before, I'd be happy to post a picture and let it go for a bargain of a price... I'll start digging for my camera today...

TTYL!

Navigator
09/15/2003, 05:03 AM
...Install your amp under the drivers seat. I have plenty of pics in my gallery to show you how.

Daver
09/16/2003, 06:58 AM
I installed my two amps into the rear seat-backs.
My Rockford 600a4 barely fit, and the 360a2 fit without a problem at all.

"No cargo space was harmed in this installation."

-Daver

TDAWG
09/16/2003, 08:56 AM
Hey Valenki,
You'll be able to see where some of that will be at the King Richard's Fair Meet have installed amps up close then you will be able to decide.

valenki
09/17/2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks TDawg, I will be happy to come to the fair and meet you, I am also trying to bring a friend Andrey who has a 1999 Ironman just like mine. I will bring all my stuff with me to show. Too bad it is still not installed cause I dfont have all the components, Thanks though, Val

Jay Dunford
09/17/2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I installed my two amps into the rear seat-backs.

I put my amps in the rear seat backs also. I have since removed the seat and put them in the lowered floor area directly behind the seats (needed more room in back). If anyone wants stock red/black seats with tubs installed and covered with matching red vinyl (swap or purchase) give me a shout.

coachreed
09/17/2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Jay Dunford
If anyone wants stock red/black seats with tubs installed and covered with matching red vinyl (swap or purchase) give me a shout.

Do you have pictures you could email my way? If so, please do so to rreed17@kc.rr.com . Also, what are the dimensions of the "tubs"? I may very well be interested as I am always looking for a way to make things more stealthy. Sooo... post pics or email them my way.

TTYL!

Coach!

valenki
09/17/2003, 08:33 PM
Do I understand this correctly ? Are the amps actually inside the rear seats or screwed behind the rear seats? This would be interesting to find out.

I have spend a lot of money and time on my project. It is getting more frustrating by the day. I was hoping to have everything done before the fair but now with some components behind on shipping it doesnt seem possible at all.

I actually have no mods on my car yet at all except the tornado and the k&N.

Maybe if I take one of those hot Russian chicks to the fair you guys will think better of me? How about 2 hot Russian chicks?

:p

Jay Dunford
09/18/2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by valenki
Do I understand this correctly ? Are the amps actually inside the rear seats or screwed behind the rear seats?

The tubs that hold the amps are inset into the seatbacks for a flush mount. They have a small lip around them that is about 1/2" tall and 3/4" wide that covers the cutout in the seat and is covered in the red vinyl.

This was not a real easy prosess due to the construction of the seats. There is a 1" round tube across the the seat back that had to be cut and the support foam is formed/poured around a 1/4" wire mesh grid that also had to be cut out to fit. The tubs use the cut ends of the round tube and a dowell to fasten the bottom into the back and make it a little easier to remove if needed.

I'll take some pics tonite so you have a better idea.

Jay

Daver
09/18/2003, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I did the same. It was a lot of work, but worth it in the end.

-Daver

valenki
09/18/2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate it !

Jay Dunford
09/18/2003, 03:45 PM
a couple of shots of the seat in the attic up in my gallery now. I'm trying to find some old shots of when they were still installed in the truck.

Hotsauce
09/19/2003, 05:33 PM
Jay:

Amp install is sweeeet!

Do you think you compromised seat strength? after looking at your in process shots I was thinking of making some 1/8 steel angle to frame and TIG to the seat inner braces.

John C.

Jay Dunford
09/19/2003, 06:34 PM
I'm sure they were structurally weaker, but I had people back there and there was no give to them with someone sitting in the seats. If you weld something to the frame it would be stronger but you will only get 1 - 2" of depth into the seat before hitting the cross bar.

Hotsauce
09/20/2003, 02:30 AM
What I'm sugesting is cutting exactly as you did, but using steel instead of MDF to frame the amps, and welding that in where the original tube touches.

John C.