PDA

View Full Version : Where do I begin?

Cdub
02/19/2011, 01:59 AM
So now that I have a car that is beyond awesome, and I own with no payments. I feel free to mod and play with it as much as I want. I need help on where to begin, and maybe weeding out the good from the bad ideas.

This is a list of the for sures I want to do, maybe in the next year.
-Install a Cupholder
-Install Clarion NZ500 (http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-NZ500-Single-Din-Touchscreen-Navigation/dp/B0032FOJD4/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3NUCSWN17EZOV&colid=123HM6V35RP1H) I want to put this where hte OEM is but im not to sure about the over hang on the lip, I may need to do a custom mold to make it fit right.
-Install a back up cam
-Install LEDs in teh done light and a possible 2nd dome light
-Drop both the front seats (saw the how to here, great guide)
-install Front Bumper guard Similar to this one (http://4wheelonline.com/Tough_Country_Apache_Replacement_Front_Bumpers_and _Grill_Guards.2395.10315) not sure if I should go Chrome or Black
-install a trailer hitch, gotta make the back match the front with some metal :bgwb:
-Off road tires
-install Skid plates
-Install Lift kit
-Nerf Bars
-Mud, lots of pretty mud :bgwb:
-re-finish/replace the windshield wiper arms.
-repaint/clean up the bottom where you can see discolor and rust.

this is the maybes list
-install white underglow (to piss of the rice grinders)
-install all black or white rims
-Roof cargo rack, I have a sun roof, my explorer looked ugly with the sunroof and a cargo rack. so not to sure i need to see more pics.
-Make the "M" on the hood look like Boba Fett.....
-modify back windows to open and close like vents
-Mount a spare on the outside back, and use the inside as a cubby or hideaway compartment. (saw picks here, with a gas can deal set up)
-Snorkel Kit, not sure if that's the right name, but its so I can jump into water ways that would drown most cars.

I'm sure I will come up with more as time goes, but I'm not 100% sure where to begin, I will take pictures as I go along the ride, and even photoshop some of the ideas for a thumbs up or down.

This may become a addiction.

VXR
02/19/2011, 03:40 AM
This may become a addiction

it has:yesb:

nfpgasmask
02/19/2011, 08:13 AM
Everything in your first list sounds good, but just about everything in your maybe list sounds just the opposite.

:D Bart

ZEUS
02/19/2011, 08:49 AM
Welcome Cdub!! I gotta kick out of your priorities... cup holder first! :laughgray
It seems like you may benefit from the interior mods first and altogether. The VX is kinda loud and many folks have added Dynamat when doing their audio install. Look around here for some of that info - the door benefits from the matting quite a bit it sounds like... so as you tear into that you'll want to address any window binding issues (very common VX problem). When doing the back up cam consider how you are going to mount your exo spare tire so they can work cohesively.

That front bumper will have to be a one-off and will be complicated to make one look good on a VX - IMHO the lines of those anchors don't flatter a VX in the least.

You mentioned nerf bars and offroad... not that good a combo... consider rocker guards/sliders. Check out these threads:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10107&highlight=sliders

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10750&highlight=sliders

You also mentioned mud and deep water - one issue you may find with that is the low mounted alternator getting fubar'd by all that gritty wet stuff. Not many have added snorkels so you'll be going custom on that as well. Goofy street lights on your frame will most likely suffer from all that as well and could cause electrical problems on the rest of your ride. Mud is just straight up harmful to a vehicle to keep that in mind when making decisions.

Also keep in mind that lowering your seats and raising the truck in combination limits your outward vision when offroading.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!! OH and PICS!!!!

So now that I have a car that is beyond awesome, and I own with no payments. I feel free to mod and play with it as much as I want. I need help on where to begin, and maybe weeding out the good from the bad ideas.

This is a list of the for sures I want to do, maybe in the next year.
-Install a Cupholder
-Install Clarion NZ500 (http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-NZ500-Single-Din-Touchscreen-Navigation/dp/B0032FOJD4/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3NUCSWN17EZOV&colid=123HM6V35RP1H) I want to put this where hte OEM is but im not to sure about the over hang on the lip, I may need to do a custom mold to make it fit right.
-Install a back up cam
-Install LEDs in teh done light and a possible 2nd dome light
-Drop both the front seats (saw the how to here, great guide)
-install Front Bumper guard Similar to this one (http://4wheelonline.com/Tough_Country_Apache_Replacement_Front_Bumpers_and _Grill_Guards.2395.10315) not sure if I should go Chrome or Black
-install a trailer hitch, gotta make the back match the front with some metal :bgwb:
-Off road tires
-install Skid plates
-Install Lift kit
-Nerf Bars
-Mud, lots of pretty mud :bgwb:
-re-finish/replace the windshield wiper arms.
-repaint/clean up the bottom where you can see discolor and rust.

this is the maybes list
-install white underglow (to piss of the rice grinders)
-install all black or white rims
-Roof cargo rack, I have a sun roof, my explorer looked ugly with the sunroof and a cargo rack. so not to sure i need to see more pics.
-Make the "M" on the hood look like Boba Fett.....
-modify back windows to open and close like vents
-Mount a spare on the outside back, and use the inside as a cubby or hideaway compartment. (saw picks here, with a gas can deal set up)
-Snorkel Kit, not sure if that's the right name, but its so I can jump into water ways that would drown most cars.

I'm sure I will come up with more as time goes, but I'm not 100% sure where to begin, I will take pictures as I go along the ride, and even photoshop some of the ideas for a thumbs up or down.

This may become a addiction.

Cdub
02/20/2011, 01:29 AM
I only drink from sport lid bottles, but still it will be nice not having it roll all over the front seat. I have been to almost all the local places looking for stuff with little to no success with the exception of getting some floormats. As for noise, I'm actually not minding it at all.

I am gonna take some pictures of the whole thing, and photoshop the mods on it first, im gonna try and make has realistic as possible. But thanks for the links i added them to my favorites. I think Im gonna do inside mods first then outside second. I don't plan to do no off-roading yet.

I have a good idea on the mounting I want to do if I put it on the back, or maybe even scratch it and if I do a cargo rack to toss the spare up top.

I would love to meet some Nevada VX owners to see what they did, and maybe get some help, seeing I have never wanted to go this far on a car before. I also bookmarked the links thanks for those.

Welcome Cdub!! I gotta kick out of your priorities... cup holder first! :laughgray
It seems like you may benefit from the interior mods first and altogether. The VX is kinda loud and many folks have added Dynamat when doing their audio install. Look around here for some of that info - the door benefits from the matting quite a bit it sounds like... so as you tear into that you'll want to address any window binding issues (very common VX problem). When doing the back up cam consider how you are going to mount your exo spare tire so they can work cohesively.

That front bumper will have to be a one-off and will be complicated to make one look good on a VX - IMHO the lines of those anchors don't flatter a VX in the least.

You mentioned nerf bars and offroad... not that good a combo... consider rocker guards/sliders. Check out these threads:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10107&highlight=sliders

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10750&highlight=sliders

You also mentioned mud and deep water - one issue you may find with that is the low mounted alternator getting fubar'd by all that gritty wet stuff. Not many have added snorkels so you'll be going custom on that as well. Goofy street lights on your frame will most likely suffer from all that as well and could cause electrical problems on the rest of your ride. Mud is just straight up harmful to a vehicle to keep that in mind when making decisions.

Also keep in mind that lowering your seats and raising the truck in combination limits your outward vision when offroading.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!! OH and PICS!!!!

Triathlete
02/20/2011, 04:12 PM
Are you any relation to L?:winky:

WormGod
02/21/2011, 06:54 AM

I smell an attempt to take over the alpha pack leader. ;)

Cdub
02/22/2011, 05:39 PM

Haha no sir, so far as I know im the only person who had a VX I have ever met.

And so far I got myself a cup holder :) I'm still searching for some good projects to begin on, just haven't had the time with work, and starting my own business to get much done with fun stuff.

I also picked up 4 LED Strips from pepboys and I'm gonna just tape them for now see where I want them, then Ill do a install, and I promise pics to come soon of my beauty.

Triathlete
02/22/2011, 07:02 PM
Haha no sir, so far as I know im the only person who had a VX I have ever met.

You should have joined us in November when a few of us got together in Henderson....

....Or a few weeks ago a good size group got together in Vegas (just bodies, no vehicles).:yesy::bwgy:

Cdub
02/23/2011, 02:19 AM
You should have joined us in November when a few of us got together in Henderson....

....Or a few weeks ago a good size group got together in Vegas (just bodies, no vehicles).:yesy::bwgy:

I wish I could of, I just picked my VX up less then a week ago. Had my neighbor scanning the lots in the valley auto mall daily for me for like 2 months :) I was surprised he found one seeing there are some 4000 made in America.

Ldub
03/01/2011, 05:18 PM
I smell an attempt to take over the alpha pack leader. ;)

:laughing:

Welcome C...:yes:

Glad you're here...can't have enough "dubs" on the terra...:smilewink

I don't know where Gary get's these crazy notions....:_confused

I'm just a plain old guy from Fargo who's been so busy tweak'n his zombie gun, that he hasn't had time to post much of late.

With the exception of the "welcome", sorry for the T J...:mbrasd:

Bee Sting
03/02/2011, 10:05 AM
You mention a "how to" guide for the front seats. I've searched and can't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

ZEUS
03/02/2011, 11:27 AM
Under 'VX Modifications': http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4654

Under 'Downloads': http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=48

Bee Sting
03/04/2011, 05:38 AM
Thank you Zeus. Not for the faint ot heart!

raver_boi_88
03/04/2011, 06:56 AM
Yes I definately agree with dynamatting your vehicle. I spent about two days doing it. I pulled everything out of my vx, headliner, side panels, jack, dash, door panels, when I say everything that is no unnderstatement. I spent about 500 bucks on a few dynamat rolls and about 30 bucks on dynamat tape for a little added security. It also helps keep the sound of your radio in your vehicle so it sounds alot better and keeps things from rattling.