PDA

View Full Version : Wood Dowels in plastic knobs on back door

VX KAT
02/17/2011, 10:33 PM
Decided to do the wood dowel mod before my tail gate knobs broke.
First dowel I bought seemed too skinny. Dub told me what to get, but I think different sizes were mixed up in the bin, and I ended up grabbing a smaller one.

When I went back I happened to see a bag of 1/2" x 1 1/2" dowel pins, with ribs. Eureka! They're perfect! The ribs hold the glue and it's snug in the plastic shaft of the knob.

Pushed it down in far enough to make sure it passed the neck a little, so it should be plenty strong. Thanks Dubster for the guidance! :thumbup:

Can check this mod off my to do list! $2.49 total....and 11 left over. I'll bring them to Moab and give 'em out.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF29251.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF2970.JPG

nocturnalVX
02/18/2011, 06:59 AM
What is the "wood dowel mod"? :smack: I even tried using the search, but only came up with this thread. Never heard of this one Sue!

surf-life
02/18/2011, 07:20 AM
I think this is it.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8276&highlight=knob

vt_maverick
02/18/2011, 07:22 AM
You stick them inside the opening in the center of the spare tire cover screws to strengthen the plastic. Apparently over time the sides of the center recess weaken, eventually snapping into pieces where they can no longer be used.

nfpgasmask
02/18/2011, 04:09 PM
Works good, I've had dowels in for years now. Plus I have like 8 spares too. No, they are not for sale!! ;)

Bart

Bob Barker
02/18/2011, 05:29 PM
Works good, I've had dowels in for years now. Plus I have like 8 spares too. No, they are not for sale!! ;)

Bart

Stingy!

Impi
02/23/2011, 12:16 PM
Brilliant idea! Bravo to whoever thought of it :bwgy:

circmand
02/23/2011, 02:43 PM
last weekend. Kat thanks for the heads up on the dowels with the grooves the pic of the bag told me exactly what I needed and I got them at Ace. My question (which is to late for me) do you shove them in as far as they will go or just even with the end of the plastic?

BTW used super glue for plastic and wood adhesive needs

VX KAT
02/23/2011, 03:42 PM
last weekend. Kat thanks for the heads up on the dowels with the grooves the pic of the bag told me exactly what I needed and I got them at Ace. My question (which is to late for me) do you shove them in as far as they will go or just even with the end of the plastic?

BTW used super glue for plastic and wood adhesive needs

Glad to hear it Dave! I forgot to mention, I got these at Ace also.
You want to get those dowels in at least past the neck of the T so they'll give support to the area being stressed when the knob is being turned. It's at the junction of the horizontal and the vertical part of the plastic knob where it breaks, so I figured that area needed the support from the dowel. That means these 1.5" long dowel pins should be recessed around 1/4" to 1/2".

RamAirZ
02/23/2011, 09:07 PM
There were dowels in mine when I got my VX, I thought it was a neat idea too. Thumbs up Kat!