PDA

View Full Version : 3M Headlight Restore kit before and after pics

mindaugas
02/06/2011, 08:54 PM
First time I have ever sanded anything, here are the before and after pics using the 3M headlight restore kit. I used the $20 one from Pep Boys that includes the masking tape, and an old corded power drill. Now to see how long it holds up ...

Before:
http://www.mikesaysmeh.com/images/vx/img_1643.jpg

After:
http://www.mikesaysmeh.com/images/vx/img_1652.jpg

I can see much better at night as well.

VXjunky
02/06/2011, 09:00 PM
Looks good, big differance. how much was the 3M product?,,,, how long dide the procedure take?
ive been told, but as yet havent tried, Foaming Oven Cleaner, rubbed out with a ultra fine Brillo Pad will do the trick

VX KAT
02/06/2011, 10:52 PM
Looks good, big differance. how much was the 3M product?,,,, how long dide the procedure take?
ive been told, but as yet havent tried, Foaming Oven Cleaner, rubbed out with a ultra fine Brillo Pad will do the trick

Ebay had the 3M kit on special about a year ago for about $12-$13, with free shipping so I posted a link to it, and several bought it. Now I think regular price is a little more $. It comes with the various pads you need, etc.. I first used just a 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper wet and did it by hand. Then saw the 3M kit, bit haven't used it yet. Having just seen mhill's GLEAMING, CRYSTAL clear lens today (after he used the 3M kit), I'm goin' break it out and finish up mine. Especially on the top surface, near the horn.

Been 2 yrs now and still really clear on the front, I just have to do the crazing and cloudy top part. Mike's tip today was to be careful using the sanding pad at a 90 degree angle trying to get the side of the horns, as it ends up sanding/gouging the flat surface right next to the horn...:goof:

I'm NOT going to be trying the oven cleaner....:eek:

Start to finish...it's about 1 hr each lens, right around there.

mindaugas
02/07/2011, 08:59 AM
Took me about an hour for both lenses. I did a little of the horns, but not much. I was only concerned with the front part to get more light out. I'm impressed with the results, it was only $20 for a kit at pep boys. The hardest part is where the lens curves. u can see the streak of poor sanding in the after picture, but again, I just wanted to be able to see at night.

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 09:41 AM
Looks great, and I hear you on how difficult it is to get the curve and horns just right. Now that you've spent the time to do it, have you thought about getting one of the 3M Stongard kits to protect the finish? They're available on eBay for about $80 including shipping. Pricey for sure, but in my experience you'll want to do this every 6 months to a year which also gets pricey. More importantly, you can only sand your lenses so many times before the material is too thin to do it anymore. Mine need to be done again, so this time I'm going to have my body shop get them perfect and then apply the cover.

I'm in the airport or I'd post the eBay link. It's easy to find though, just type "vehicross stongard" in the eBay search bar.

VX KAT
02/07/2011, 11:39 AM
Looks great, and I hear you on how difficult it is to get the curve and horns just right. Now that you've spent the time to do it, have you thought about getting one of the 3M Stongard kits to protect the finish? They're available on eBay for about $80 including shipping. Pricey for sure, but in my experience you'll want to do this every 6 months to a year which also gets pricey. More importantly, you can only sand your lenses so many times before the material is too thin to do it anymore. Mine need to be done again, so this time I'm going to have my body shop get them perfect and then apply the cover.

I'm in the airport or I'd post the eBay link. It's easy to find though, just type "vehicross stongard" in the eBay search bar.

Mav do you know if they have any UV protection? I have the clear GTS covers (which I don't think have any UV protection either...and not supposed to put 303 on clear plastic;) but daham....couldn't get them on (following deermagnet's excellent instructions)...too tight between cladding and bottom of light WITH MY NEW headlight gaskets....:rollo:...if I hadn't just added them :_brickwal, I think I might have been able to get them in there. No...I'm not taking any cladding bolts off.... so Stongard is looking better & better to me right now. Think they stick on or cling or what?

Rowhard...didn't you buy the Stongard kit? Install it yet?...or are you too busy makin' molds? :p

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 01:15 PM
Got an itchy trigger finger there Sue? ;). All I know is what I read in the eBay ad.

mindaugas
02/07/2011, 01:16 PM
They're available on eBay for about $80 including shipping

that is a lot, I can keep doing this with the less expensive kit for $15 a few more times before I reach that.

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 01:24 PM
And spend $110-140 over time instead? I know I know, just saying. :p

RickOKC
02/07/2011, 02:01 PM
Got an itchy trigger finger there Sue? ;). All I know is what I read in the eBay ad.
Post so nice,
She said it twice!
:biggringr

mindaugas
02/07/2011, 02:09 PM
And spend $110-140 over time instead?
Yep, cuz I know it works, and I'm not sure the guard will protect long enough. The guard would have to protect longer than 5 years to meet it's value.

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 03:34 PM
Assuming you can keep sanding that long. How do you discover that you've reached the limit? When the pad goes through the lens? Not picking on you, just saying that sanding once every 3 years might be a more sustainable (if not cost effective) maintenance strategy.

VX KAT
02/07/2011, 05:00 PM
:_brickwal...no just a sucky internet connection today that went out when I hit send on the 1243pm message, never showed it was transmitted......so I hit send again a few minutes later when the connection was reestablished...
I like Rick's explanation better! :laugho:

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 08:27 PM
I can only make so much fun Sue, I posted something twice earlier today because I had the exact same problem on my BlackBerry.

I'll let you slide this time. ;)