PDA

View Full Version : Hood Scoops?

rsteinmetz70112
02/06/2011, 10:58 AM
Searching VX's for sale I ran across a couple with hood scoops. I was wondering what's up with that.

Was it a factory option?
Are they cosmetic or actual air intakes?

I found that the hood insert is removable and that the metal underneath it is solid, so an actual air intake would seem to require cutting the hood.

circmand
02/06/2011, 11:40 AM
Searching VX's for sale I ran across a couple with hood scoops. I was wondering what's up with that.

Was it a factory option?
Are they cosmetic or actual air intakes?

I found that the hood insert is removable and that the metal underneath it is solid, so an actual air intake would seem to require cutting the hood.

Some are plastic glued on some are operational but done by an owner probably without any real investigation on whether it improves performance

rsteinmetz70112
02/07/2011, 07:49 AM
Some are plastic glued on some are operational but done by an owner probably without any real investigation on whether it improves performance

Thanks. I like the look of the ones I saw.

Oh well, another thing to add to my checklist. I'd be very concerned about either situation, but an actual intake could compromise the structural integrity of the hood.

circmand
02/07/2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks. I like the look of the ones I saw.

Oh well, another thing to add to my checklist. I'd be very concerned about either situation, but an actual intake could compromise the structural integrity of the hood.

I hadnt thought about it but the insert already has been seen to get stress fractures and cracks, compromising with a hood scoop may even make it worse.

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 10:23 AM
Maybe - but many of the fractures I've seen ran horizontal across the middle of the insert, so maybe cutting a hole would relieve some of that stress.

Of course none of this matters for "glue-on" aesthetic-only scoops.

tom4bren
02/07/2011, 11:02 AM
Maybe - but many of the fractures I've seen ran horizontal across the middle of the insert, so maybe cutting a hole would relieve some of that stress.

Of course none of this matters for "glue-on" aesthetic-only scoops.

Mine fractured from the outside edge on the passenger side going towards the middle. I don't think stress relieving it would help at all.

The cracks that appear always follow a molded in weak spot on the under side of the insert.

Of course, while you have the insert removed to cut in a functional scoop, you could reinforce that weak spot.