PDA

View Full Version : reset the computer inspection

zadam123
02/06/2011, 07:31 AM
My car needs to get a ny inspection like last month but my check engine light is on. i know its a po401 egr code and im on my way now to get some intake cleaner to clean the egr. my question is once i clear the engine light how long must i wait or drive befor i can get it inspected. i was told if you go right away the machine knows it had a error code and will fail me. is it a amount of time or miles i have to wait?

thanks

WormGod
02/07/2011, 07:08 AM
Here is what I did last time (mine was on before my MD emissions). I made my repairs, reset the codes, and drove roughly 20 miles straight. Shut the vehicle off (got a Starbucks coffee), restarted, and went to the testing station. Passed, no issues. It is my understanding that 2 things were a must here:

- driving for a period of time so the ECU "learns".

- shut down and start back up so that the ECU "boots" on it's own "re-learned" package and most importantly, doesn't start with the codes again.

The drive and the restart are mostly to test your code reset, but at that point, the history should be reset from the restart. It's gonna come down to the issues your car had too, and whether you nipped the problem in the bud.

circmand
02/07/2011, 07:50 AM
take it to Autozone or other parts place have them run codes for you and they will erase if you ask them. Sometimes even if you dont

ZubrAZ
02/07/2011, 09:53 AM
dont worry. if the check engine light is not on, they will not fail you. but if you decide to drop the battery cables and reset the ecu right before the test, make sure you start the car at least two times. I had a similar issue, when the check engine light wasnt coming up upon the first engine start after the ecu reset. but it was lighting up on the second start, so the trick didnt work at the inspection station: they shut down the car and re-start in front of you to check for that issue in particular

zadam123
02/08/2011, 05:31 PM
i have a po401 code for the egr valve. I can drive the car for around 12 - 17 miles befor the code showes up again.

so if i disconnect the battery to reset the codes and drive the car for 10 miles and shut down and restart i should be ok?

zadam123
02/08/2011, 05:34 PM
my code is the dreaded po401 egr. i cleaned it but still popping up every 15 miles or so. if i clear the code and drive for 10 miles and sut down and restart bring to mechanic i should be ok?

WormGod
02/09/2011, 07:05 AM
Did you mean to double post? Short term memory? ;)

Gave this a bit more thought since I had a 401 once and I am thinking that will eventually reveal itself if they are thorough. It's emissions related too, so it will throw a red flag pretty quick too if spotted. Might want to save the loss of $$ on a failed inspection and just repair it. I have seen them from $99 - $180 (ya, pretty drastic difference). Just my $.02.

ZubrAZ
02/09/2011, 10:04 AM
it does not really matter how long you drive it before it pops up, unless it doesnt light in from of the inspector. it is not prohibited to bring the car to inspection right after you reset the ecu.

I had a dodge neon, that was lighting the CE light once the car was shifted into the third gear (3spd auto tranny - solenoid issue). So, I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, placed the gear shifter into the second gear, went to the emission station, passed the test, and after I left and put the car into D mode and it upshifted to third gear, the light came on. Need to mention, it was my second visit, and the mechanic asked what I've done to the car, and I replied that I cleaned the connectors, because it is truly the possible reason for the engine light to light up

zadam123
02/10/2011, 02:58 AM
ok driving home today the check engine light went off by itself. guess it takes time to clear out. so i will be bringing it to get inspected today. fingers crossed

zadam123
02/10/2011, 02:59 AM
Did you mean to double post? Short term memory? ;)

for some reason it didnt show me the post when i clicked on post it so i did it again then both poped up, my bad

zadam123
02/11/2011, 03:26 PM
it passed , it passed. 20 minutes after inspection the check engine light came back on . Im playing lotto