PDA

View Full Version : Hello World

rsteinmetz70112
02/05/2011, 06:48 PM
I just joined. I am thinking of purchasing Vehicross and wondering about how difficult it will be to maintain, since the manufacturer is out of the market and the number produced is very low. I have been lurking a while so I know a little, about enough to be dangerous.

I hope you will all tolerate a some dumb questions.

circmand
02/05/2011, 08:53 PM
I just joined. I am thinking of purchasing Vehicross and wondering about how difficult it will be to maintain, since the manufacturer is out of the market and the number produced is very low. I have been lurking a while so I know a little, about enough to be dangerous.

I hope you will all tolerate a some dumb questions.

First things first learn the search function. Many newbies have joined. They all asked the same questions as you will have. None of them are dumb but being repeated for the umpteenth time makes for some testy replies.

rsteinmetz70112
02/05/2011, 09:28 PM
I am patient and I hope others will be with me.

On the other hand I have a thick skin and an ample supply of retorts.

Any community that rejects converts is bound for extinction.

VX KAT
02/05/2011, 09:42 PM
Just an FYI, I know there's two VX owners in LaFayette. Not sure if you've ever gotten to sit in one or see it up close. The member is "tjh", (Travis) and then his friend bought one too last year, can't think of their name. But maybe if you're interested you could head out to see Travis. He has one gorgeous Dragon green VX, got some new Enkei rims & new rubber.

If you've been lurking for a while then you know we're a tight bunch who are very helpful. Members often offer to go check out a VX for someone interested but far away. Since there's not that many of them, you can realistically expect to travel/fly/drive a fair distance to buy one.

As mentioned, there's lots of info on this site....just start playing with the search function and you'll find a mountain of reading material.

One thing that may help you as a prospective buyer, check out the detailed VX Questionnaire we put together last year, it will be like a roadmap of things to check out and questions to ask.

It's a pretty detailed checklist, very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average.

At the end of this list I've posted a link to a much longer version, with even more detailed questions. It's still a work in progress, but it may help you learn even more details about this awesome truck we love so much.

Good luck to you in your search! :wave:

COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE /CHECKLIST FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS

~Any service history records?

~How long have you owned it?

~Electric windows work properly or bind?

~Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

~Look behind door panels to see if vapor barrier is present - (may indicate previous work on windows)

~Window regulator /motor been replaced?

~SBC brackets ever installed on windows?

~Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions? (some seem to consume a little when on prolonged highway driving)

~Chrome wheels peeling? (many peeled on the inner side)

~ABS - Any ABS light problems? Make sure ABS light comes on when key is first turned to ON position. If not, could a problem and / or bulb has been removed. Note, many have disconnected ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and truck seems to function fine (just no ABS).

~OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

~Any problems with TOD?

~Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating?

~Brand & model of tires & approx tread remaining-

~Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model, AIR PRESSURE & wear? (TOD system will often make severe clunking noises if all 4 aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms)

~How long have these current 4 tires been on?

~Timing belt changed?

~Original OEM brake pads or replacements?

~Any fluids dripping, ever?

~Last time & what fluids have been changed?

~What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

~Evaluate/describe condition of all cladding - scrapes, holes, deformation, dryness, chalky appearance, any evidence of being "painted" in any way?

~Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

~Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel (often break off)

~Condition of inside door opening handle/levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

~Any unusual /excessive vibrations - very subjective of course

~Any problems with motor mounts?

~Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, potential rust, desert sun (UV), etc)

~Inspect thoroughly for rust!!
Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere?
Is rear gas tank skid plate or tail pipe showing rust?

~Status of front bumper reinforcement bar? (Often rusts off completely)

~Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -will give indication if it was in a rust belt area

~Condition of paint - Describe. (fading, chipping, scratches, repainted areas)

~Condition of hood insert - Describe. (very often cracked)

~Condition of plastic headlight housings - any crazing, fogged, cracked, etc...or been restored/polished, etc....(very often cloudy/fogged)

~Rubber headlight gaskets- present at all?, ripped, condition

~Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids (old or new) of any type?? Evaluate fluid levels.

~Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

~Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

~Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

~Ever been lifted or torsion bars cranked?

~Condition of CV joints? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

~Battery- status, condition and age

~Any unusual flashing of any lights on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

~Any odors inside, such as smoke?

~Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

~Condition of center console padded armrest -(very often cracked and split where driver's elbow has rested on it)

~Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up)

~Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

~Does it have an OEM roof rack?

~Are OEM rail caps in place and/or available?

~Ever taken off road?

~OEM or after-market tail pipe?

~Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

~Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

~Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, etc... may indicate off road use

~Any known repairs?

~Any extra parts on hand?

~Any modifications done previously that have now been removed? Describe.

list last modified: 6/8/10 11:09 am

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19664&highlight=vx+questionnaire

Ebenezr
02/06/2011, 04:46 AM
Mechanical parts are in ample supply, yu just need to know where to get them. The vehicle is a trooper underneath. As an example I ordered a CV full shaft with inner cup for a same year trooper and it was plug and play. Even dedicated parts aren't too hard. For instance the driveshaft is VX only and I found 8 of them using an online used part search engine partshotlines.com And welcome to the forum!!

vt_maverick
02/06/2011, 06:24 AM
First things first learn the search function. Many newbies have joined. They all asked the same questions as you will have. None of them are dumb but being repeated for the umpteenth time makes for some testy replies.

I am patient and I hope others will be with me.

On the other hand I have a thick skin and an ample supply of retorts.

Any community that rejects converts is bound for extinction.

I don't understand why new members get so offended when they're pointed at the search engine; maybe they feel a sense of entitlement to have the information laid at their feet, since it was done for other members before? Personally I interpret that to mean that I need to do my research beforehand so that I can ask specific questions for which I've not been able to find an answer.

We do usually try to provide a little info (as VX KAT did in her response) to get you started, but after that you really should get familiar with the search engine. It's not "older" members picking on a "newb" - it's experienced members trying to point you to the best source of information. Feel free to ask any question (dumb or otherwise) if you're not clear or find conflicting information (very common). Answer to questions do change over time as new products or sellers emerge, so rehashing old topics from time-to-time is a good thing. But if new members ask the same questions on a weekly (or sometimes multiple times per week) basis, it creates hundreds of threads all related to the same topic. Thus by avoiding the search engine you actually are making it harder for the next new member to use it.

Food for thought. Welcome aboard and look forward to helping you find your rig!

mindaugas
02/06/2011, 06:57 AM
Welcome, and good luck in the search.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Full shop manual can be found here, along with some other things that are common to VX. Like restoring center console, and the infamous buyer checklist that I paid little attention to when buying mine :P (thankfully it worked out)

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Look through there for all the mechanical meh you would ever wanna know.

The only thing I became concerned with after buying was oil consumption. You MUST check it daily after buying a VX to determine how much oil yours consumes. It can be as much as a quart per 1k miles. So far mine seems to be ok and I just did a mobil1 oil change, pcv, and seafoam clean. This is a common preventative maintenance on these trucks to keep it from eating oil. Search oil burning, oil consumption, etc. You will find tons of posts and info. Then there's the EGR valve, which wears out and causes a check engine. It's really simple to replace and clean. My check engine came on a week after I got it, thankfully AFTER emissions. Cleaned EGR and it went away.

...I'm thinking we should start a new owners guide or something. (I tried searching and couldn't find a comprehensive list anywhere) I found myself searching for a lot of silly newb questions like, oil capacity, socket size for the bolt on the oil pan, proper seafoam procedure ... then there's the stuff I mentioned above. I bring this up because I had a Legacy with 220k miles which I put gas in, and oil every 3k miles, and forget. I've found the VX needs more TLC than other cars I have owned. Not that I'm complaining, I had a blast performing the world's longest oil change last yesterday.

VX KAT
02/06/2011, 07:17 AM
Just cuz I'm the way I am :rollo: and it's one of the most important issues to know about........I saved all the oil discussion threads:

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3756&highlight=ENGINE+FAILURE+POLL

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16854&highlight=ENGINE+FAILURE+POLL

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17228&highlight=engine+oil+poll

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=166184#post166184

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=axiom+DI

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16136&highlight=axiom+DI

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14775&highlight=iamironman

Here's the thread from Iamironman...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16157&highlight=built+2000

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=engine+swap+axiom

Several theories on Isuzu design defect in rings that causes oil consumption:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14548&highlight=brand+pcv+valve

Or if you prefer to keep it as easy reference:
LINK TO SINGLE POST THAT HAS WORKING LINKS ON OIL ISSUES:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=216316&postcount=7

vt_maverick
02/06/2011, 07:24 AM
...I'm thinking we should start a new owners guide or something...
That's probably not a bad idea. As I alluded in my post, the sheer number of these one-off threads makes it extremely difficult to get a comprehensive list - most of the threads say 90% of the same thing so you have to muddle through all that repetition to find the 10% of unique stuff you're after.

I've been thinking we should do the same thing for mods, since there simply isn't one (or thousands in the case of Jeeps) go-to source for aftermarket parts. Most of the mods people have were either made by other members or purchased through a supplier that only carried them for awhile, so finding something you like in the galleries in no way means you'll be able to find it now. A mod guide would be cool because we could list the mods we would/wouldn't do again, where to get them, etc. I'd say the second most popular new member question besides "what problems do these trucks have?" is "where can I find stuff for my VX?"

Moncha
02/06/2011, 07:27 AM
Just cuz I'm the way I am :rollo:

Queen of the search engine! :bwgy:

vxaddict
02/06/2011, 08:13 AM
That's probably not a bad idea. As I alluded in my post, the sheer number of these one-off threads makes it extremely difficult to get a comprehensive list - most of the threads say 90% of the same thing so you have to muddle through all that repetition to find the 10% of unique stuff you're after.

I've been thinking we should do the same thing for mods, since there simply isn't one (or thousands in the case of Jeeps) go-to source for aftermarket parts. Most of the mods people have were either made by other members or purchased through a supplier that only carried them for awhile, so finding something you like in the galleries in no way means you'll be able to find it now. A mod guide would be cool because we could list the mods we would/wouldn't do again, where to get them, etc. I'd say the second most popular new member question besides "what problems do these trucks have?" is "where can I find stuff for my VX?"

x2 - A noobie guide would be awesome, or at least identifying more sticky posts to keep at the top of each forum. I know I've bookmarked several of the ones I've used recently.

MsConduct
02/06/2011, 08:52 AM
Welcome! As a newbie myself, I can say that there is a ton of info on here to get you started. (Warning... using Search can become addicting!) Also, the people here are fantastic. If you find a prospective VX, don't be afraid to get another opinion from some of the folks here. You might also want to contact some of the other owners in your area to see if they have info on mechanics, parts, etc. The VX is a bit unusual, and there are certainly easier vehicles to own and maintain, but with a proper support group, you should be fine!

Happy hunting!

rsteinmetz70112
02/06/2011, 10:22 AM
Mechanical parts are in ample supply, you just need to know where to get them. The vehicle is a trooper underneath. As an example I ordered a CV full shaft with inner cup for a same year trooper and it was plug and play. Even dedicated parts aren't too hard. For instance the driveshaft is VX only and I found 8 of them using an online used part search engine partshotlines.com And welcome to the forum!!

Glad to hear that. Parts availability is one of my concerns. Any 10 year old vehicle has the potential for major parts to fail.

rsteinmetz70112
02/06/2011, 10:23 AM
That sounds like a great idea.

Y33TREKker
02/06/2011, 10:31 AM
The directive responses for newbs to utilize the search engine goes both ways anyway. Specific terminology used when discussing VX parts, idiosyncracies, or projects is not going to be automatically known to someone new to the game, so expecting a newb to even know what to search for isn't fair either.

As a result, VX Terminology would be a good "chapter" to include in the Owners' Guide. We can't very well invite new members to feel free to ask any "dumb" questions only to turn the thread into an us against them discussion of the supposed inherent intelligence of using the search function. Even children know how much that kind of double-speak sucks.

Good luck with the search rsteinmetz.

VXR
02/06/2011, 02:54 PM
The directive responses for newbs to utilize the search engine goes both ways anyway. Specific terminology used when discussing VX parts, idiosyncracies, or projects is not going to be automatically known to someone new to the game, so expecting a newb to even know what to search for isn't fair either.

As a result, VX Terminology would be a good "chapter" to include in the Owners' Guide. We can't very well invite new members to feel free to ask any "dumb" questions only to turn the thread into an us against them discussion of the supposed inherent intelligence of using the search function. Even children know how much that kind of double-speak sucks.

Good luck with the search rsteinmetz.

X2 well said:yesb:

circmand
02/07/2011, 07:22 AM
Just hitting the threads button and reading all the headings is a great 1st start to learning the site

VX KAT
02/07/2011, 07:38 AM

As a result, VX Terminology would be a good "chapter" to include in the Owners' Guide.

Another piece of info that may help you...have you seen the VERY LONG 100+ questionnaire I put together about 2-3 weeks ago? Going thru either of those questionnaires will help you identify areas you may want/need more info on. You can probably find the info, but do a search on some of the words used in the questionnaire.

Good point TREK, it's why I suggested this (see above blue text) in the other thread.

Scott Larson
02/07/2011, 07:57 AM
Just hitting the threads button and reading all the headings is a great 1st start to learning the site

Now to a newb, that's confusing right there. Where is the "Threads Button"? Is that the "Active Threads" in the main menu? I'm looking all over for the "Threads Button"...

circmand
02/07/2011, 08:10 AM
Now to a newb, that's confusing right there. Where is the "Threads Button"? Is that the "Active Threads" in the main menu? I'm looking all over for the "Threads Button"...

But actually all the thread buttons there on the main menu on the home page. They will allow you to see everything posted about in the last 10 years. The active only give you threads that have beenrecently posted into the others allow you everything

rsteinmetz70112
02/07/2011, 08:10 AM
I was not reacting to the suggestion to use the search function, the part I took exception to was this part:

being repeated for the umpteenth time makes for some testy replies.

I'm sure I will ask some questions that have already been asked and answered, but seeing the confusing results that the search function gives that may be inevitable.

Why would someone presume that a new person will act badly, just because someone else in the past may have. You might never have noticed the many people who simply joined and acted perfectly appropriately.

I worry whenever a welcome message contains warning that unapproved behavior will have negative consequences.

I think the idea of a Newbie post someone else posted is an excellent idea, as a FAQ would be.

VX KAT
02/07/2011, 08:33 AM
IMHO, this whole discussion clearly points out, again, the importance of using clear, detailed thread titles. Using short, hip, strange language or phrases really makes searching much more difficult and time consuming....and frustrating, just like a few of the newbs have mentioned here. This site is only as good as we make it (and Scott of course is awesome!!)

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 10:08 AM
The terminology section seems like a good idea. I will be curious to see whether people take the time to read it before asking questions.

The site layout could certainly be better (maybe that's part of the upgrades Scott - our webmaster - alluded to a few days ago). But I do think that at the end of the day people just have to invest some time getting used to how everything works. Perhaps the more experienced users should take the time to post not only the answer but "how" they found the answer.

Finally, I'm not sure who the "us vs them" and "child... double-speak" comments where directed at specifically, but I think that's a "childish" over-simplification of the issue. What's at issue in my mind is how we can best help and equip new members to learn as much about their vehicle as possible. What I see in this thread is a spirited discussion about how to do both, which I think reflects well on our community as a whole.

Scott Larson
02/07/2011, 10:19 AM
X2!! There really are no stupid questions but sometimes the answer can make one feel stupid...Doooohh!!

Y33TREKker
02/07/2011, 10:32 AM
Finally, I'm not sure who the "us vs them" and "child... double-speak" comments where directed at specifically, but I think that's a "childish" over-simplification of the issue...
It was directed at anyone who's ever done what I was describing. If it came across as a childish over-simplification, that's only because that's sometimes what it apparently takes.

mindaugas
02/07/2011, 01:21 PM
As a result, VX Terminology would be a good "chapter" to include in the Owners' Guide.

thanks, that's a great suggestion. Just adding a "Search for this ____ " would help immensely.

rsteinmetz70112
02/07/2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the effort. There is a lot of information in these links, but also a lot of uncertainty.

Oil usage is a significant concern and these threads highlight that is is a significant issue for all VXen. I saw the survey that concluded something around 40% had this problem and a conclusion that '99 models may suffer worse than others.

Short of driving one for a month or two I'm not sure how to check for this issiue.

circmand
02/07/2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the effort. There is a lot of information in these links, but also a lot of uncertainty.

Oil usage is a significant concern and these threads highlight that is is a significant issue for all VXen. I saw the survey that concluded something around 40% had this problem and a conclusion that '99 models may suffer worse than others.

Short of driving one for a month or two I'm not sure how to check for this issiue.

Not eevryone who owned a VX is a member and not all members filled out the poll. Th epolls are not scientific. In my opinion checking your oil regularly (at all fill ups) would eliminate 99% of the oil issues. Do not rely on the oil light it is for pressure not volume. From other threads oil becomes being used closer to oil change time 3000 miles.

tjh
02/07/2011, 04:57 PM
Just an FYI, I know there's two VX owners in LaFayette. Not sure if you've ever gotten to sit in one or see it up close. The member is "tjh", (Travis) and then his friend bought one too last year, can't think of their name. But maybe if you're interested you could head out to see Travis. He has one gorgeous Dragon green VX, got some new Enkei rims & new rubber.
[/url]

Um yeah, what Sue said ^.
rsteinmetz70112
Iffin your in the Lafayette area your welcome to check out my VX . That being said I'm currently trying to get the VX over to the garage for some maintenance . Either this week or next week.It depends on when they can fit it in.
Timing Belt , Water Pump , New Radiator hoses , Tensioners,Thermostat,Brakes , Wheel bearings , and Valve cover gaskets. Getting ready for Moab ... maybe. I also need to shorten my rock sliders .

My VX is a 2001 and it is an oil burner . I just keep it full.

rsteinmetz70112
02/07/2011, 06:04 PM
Not eevryone who owned a VX is a member and not all members filled out the poll. Th epolls are not scientific. In my opinion checking your oil regularly (at all fill ups) would eliminate 99% of the oil issues. Do not rely on the oil light it is for pressure not volume. From other threads oil becomes being used closer to oil change time 3000 miles.

Yes the poll is unscientific, and results are suspect but what else have we got?

vt_maverick
02/07/2011, 07:56 PM

You're right in that there's no way to really know for sure before you make the purchase. Although the issue seems more pronounced for some years (and owners) than others, there are very few people who would say their truck burns ZERO oil between changes. The key, as circmand said, is to check it as often as possible and keep a spare quart or two with you at all times. So I wouldn't consider the degree of oil consumption as a differentiating factor when you're looking to buy.

If you stay on top of it the oil consumption issue is really more of a nuisance than anything else.