PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for my VX

killinformula
02/04/2011, 06:24 PM
Driving over a bridge during the dallas texas ice storm/snow, truck in front of me hits his brakes (literally for no reason), so let off the gas and tapped my brakes to slow down.... then it all went south, vehi started to sway side to side, i went back and forth with it about 8 times then it just hit a bad part of ice and swung 90° to the right, crossed the middle lane and hit the front tire of the semi, aka the tire with 16 1.5 inch lug nuts... and shredded my front end... Bumper is half gone, right fender is all dented in, and bent away from the hood. the TOD kicks in and out but mainly says only on the rear wheels. Zero damage to the semi.
Its not a happy night... But I am soooooooo grateful i am okay and nobody else was hurt. I do have a $1000 full coverage policy, With the damage to the body and drive train i am wondering what will happen as far as the claim is concerned.
The semi driver said he couldnt believe the truck would hit is brakes on that ice... and saw me correcting it constantly and said he slowed down because he knew sooner or later it would hit a bad spot and not let me recover it

Bob Barker
02/04/2011, 06:55 PM
That sucks big time.

Gussie2000
02/04/2011, 07:12 PM
Hopefully you can get the VX recovered and happy you didn't get hurt at all.

keep us posted

nocturnalVX
02/04/2011, 07:16 PM
Sorry to hear that yet another VX owner is having to fix crash damage... Hope it goes well.

vt_maverick
02/04/2011, 07:34 PM
^ What they said. At least there seem to be lots of VX's popping up around the country right now if you did have to replace it. We've got your back in finding parts or a whole new truck, either way.

killinformula
02/04/2011, 07:53 PM
thanks guys!!! I really love the VX and if she is totaled, i am definitely going to get another one! to different of a car not to drive at the price range they sale!

VX KAT
02/04/2011, 07:54 PM
:( sad to hear, glad you're OK. Seems like "Bob Barker"s repair shop was able to get all his parts pretty easily, so hope you have the same luck. Like Mav said, let us know if we can help find parts!

surf-life
02/04/2011, 08:44 PM
Glad your ok, it sounds like you minimized the wreck best you could. Like everyone said there are tons of parts and whole VX's out there right now.

killinformula
02/04/2011, 09:57 PM
Again thank you all for your concern and support!!! It has really helped to calm my nerves... it is going to be a rough few weeks though, i just bought a home that i close on feb 28th, just graduated college and got a job i started jan 10th.... it is just a lot of stress but i feel EXTREMELY blessed!

The concern i have now is that if it is fixable, where do i take it? and also how do i let the agent understand whats going on with my TOD? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

surf-life
02/04/2011, 10:29 PM
Ive read a lot that TOD has problems with tires that don't match up...so depending on the impact if you tires are out of alignment or out of balance that could cause some problems.

rowhard
02/05/2011, 12:56 AM
First off, glad you survived.

Don't know diddly about the TOD.

If the DeDuct is too stiff, pretty sure there is a hat laying around here waiting to be past around. :)

stangri
02/05/2011, 02:38 AM
Really glad you're OK!!! Vehicri (despite all our passion for them) are just things which can be replaced, health in most cases, can't.

samneil2000
02/05/2011, 06:34 AM
Glad you're ok. Hopefully the VX can be fixed, but if not, there are others out there.
Best of luck to you!

mindaugas
02/05/2011, 08:36 AM
Hope you can fix the VX, let us know. I have a feeling insurance will just total it, but maybe they can give you a payout and you can fix on your own.

MsConduct
02/05/2011, 01:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the VX, but as others have said, glad to hear you are ok. Best wishes for a good outcome, whatever that might be.

malozi777
02/10/2011, 04:09 PM
If one gets into an accident where the fiberglass cladding is damaged. Is there a way or somebody to fix or replace the cladding?

VXjunky
02/10/2011, 04:12 PM
sick em

Bob Barker
02/10/2011, 05:45 PM
Our cladding is not fiberglass, and yes there are ways to repair. A heat gun (not your hair dryer) will make it plyable and you can form it back to factory shape, or any shape you wish. I just had to replace 2 pieces on my truck after an accident and the body shop had them in within a week, but I can't get an answer on where they got the pieces from. But at least we know it's out there!

killinformula
02/12/2011, 09:19 AM
So here is the update:
1) A Claim agency down in here in Texas (my insurance company is in Idaho and they don't operate in Texas so it had to be done through a 3rd party) valued the damages at $4200 and didn't total it (My insurance agent was shocked they didn't). This is however with out adding in the AWD/TOD issues it suffered during impact.
2) My insurance agent (I get this vibe he is wanting to total it) ordered a "condition report" from the 3rd party claim agency to determine the cost of the car which will be in on Monday.
3) The insurance agent told me not to get the AWD/TOD checked out because it might be totaled with out adding it to the report saving me time and him money for not having to drop it off at a shop to look at it.

Also I am using American Family Insurance, and they are AMAZING!!!! They have given me their personal cell phones to call at anytime to ask questions, they call me every other day, EVERY person I spoke to was amazingly friendly and always were sympathetic. I must say if I lived in a state with American Family, I would get my insurance with them...

nocturnalVX
02/12/2011, 09:23 AM
I hope that you get good news... We have to make sure our insurance agents know how valuable the VX is to US!