PDA

View Full Version : I want shiny black rims!!! 18 or 20"!!! HELP

KRemo
01/28/2011, 07:35 PM
I'm trying to find black chrome or a high gloss black rim for my VX but I don't understand the sizing, spacing, lug, etc. Is there anyone that has a suggestion for a rim that will fit that looks like this:

http://image.made-in-china.com/4f1j00wvyafMrqaQgY/Black-Chrome-Aluminum-Alloy-Wheel-Rim.jpg

Mile High VX
01/28/2011, 08:00 PM
Just take your stock rims, or find another set of stock rims cheap, and powder coat them.

KRemo
01/28/2011, 08:06 PM
Will powder coating be shiny black? I don't like the flat or matte black...

Mile High VX
01/28/2011, 08:08 PM
Check on what is available in your area, but most good shops can do almost any color and in whatever finish you want.

Mile High VX
01/28/2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19394

VXorado
01/28/2011, 08:25 PM
Lugs 6x5.5 & 6x139.7 or most chevy,toyota, isuzu

Offset stock is 18x7 +38mm, 0mm or -mm will cause the wheels to stick outside the wheel wells- check rim/wheel thread for different setups

VXjunky
01/28/2011, 09:06 PM
hey mile high...you getting a commission from rich payne for promo-ing the rig he's got for sale?

vt_maverick
01/29/2011, 05:33 AM
Just take your stock rims, or find another set of stock rims cheap, and powder coat them.

+1 - If you use your stock 18's you would end up looking pretty close to the picture you posted. I'm not too familiar with powder coating though - I've always known wheels with those finishes to actually be primed/painted/clearcoated.

Mile High VX
01/29/2011, 06:55 AM
hey mile high...you getting a commission from rich payne for promo-ing the rig he's got for sale?

Gotta help out a Colorado brutha' when I can...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

rowhard
01/29/2011, 08:58 AM
Lugs 6x5.5 & 6x139.7 or most chevy,toyota, isuzu

Offset stock is 18x7 +38mm, 0mm or -mm will cause the wheels to stick outside the wheel wells- check rim/wheel thread for different setups

108mm center bore, some say the 100 will fit but there might be a interference problem with hot hub's if you need to get the wheel off. I have a +18mm offset with the 285/60 tire and it sticks out about 3/4 inch.

Mile High VX
01/29/2011, 09:25 AM
I"m running an 18 x 8 1/2 wtih -6MM offset with 275/60 and sticks out about an inch.

KRemo
01/29/2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys!

RickOKC
01/30/2011, 03:24 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think the process ends with a paint coat (any color) and clear powder coat baked over that. I had it done to the stock wheels on my Mustang for $100/wheel. I had them keep the bare metal around the outer edge (the transition is razor sharp) and they came out looking like they were made that way. It took about 5 or 6 hours from start to finish including them removing the wheels/tires, balance & re-installation. Google "wheel restoration" in your city.

Riff Raff
03/18/2011, 06:07 AM
Not 100% sure, but I think the process ends with a paint coat (any color) and clear powder coat baked over that. I had it done to the stock wheels on my Mustang for $100/wheel. I had them keep the bare metal around the outer edge (the transition is razor sharp) and they came out looking like they were made that way. It took about 5 or 6 hours from start to finish including them removing the wheels/tires, balance & re-installation. Google "wheel restoration" in your city.

x2. I agree with the others-- that "powder-coating" your stock OEM 18x7 rims is absolutely the best way (and cheapest) way to go. The OEM rims have the correct offset/backspacing you will want to maintain to minimize rubbing of oversize tires. Just look in the "paper" yellow pages for a local powder-coating shop in your hometown and go talk to the Manager for various ideas and pricing on powder-coating. You'll be amazed at what a talented and creative powder-coater can do!!!

As RickOKC mentioned, I'd just powder-coat only the center spoke area in high gloss Black (base-coat Black, with Clear top-coat) and leave the outer rim original chrome for a radical two-tone effect and also leave the OEM center-caps chrome as well. That would look totally bad@ss!!!

:bgwb:

circmand
03/18/2011, 08:50 AM
Powder coating is extremely durable. Newspapers use them on the machines they put out on the street and beleive me those machines take a lot of abuse. It can be shiny and any color. My concern would be our OEM chrome rims peeling underneath as they have a tendency to do. I checked it out I had a price of about $125 a rim around

VXjunky
03/18/2011, 09:49 AM
id think the powder coater would sandblast before powder coating..and thoroughly clean the rims for adhesion

circmand
03/18/2011, 10:11 AM
but the powder coating would be on the chrome and if the chrome peeled it would take off the powder coating as well I think.

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 10:14 AM
Seems like you could buy nice used rims for $125 each if you tried. Might take awhile, especially if you're focused on keeping the same/similar dimensions as OEM, but might be worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

VXjunky
03/18/2011, 10:20 AM
sandblasting would remove the chrome

circmand
03/18/2011, 10:21 AM
you learn something new eevryday

tom4bren
03/21/2011, 06:02 AM
Yes, chrome can be sandblasted off ... but it ain't easy. The majority of the cost in refinishing rims will be the prep for that very reason. Bad chrome in poor condition will blast off without too much trouble but good chrome in good condition will probably have to be ground off rather than blasted off.

As far as how shiney you can get with Powder Coating .... VERY. I've seen "Black Chrome" as one of the colors available.

Ldub
03/21/2011, 03:56 PM
I dunno...:_confused

I think I'd give a pristine cleaning, followed by Bulldog adhesion promoter & some Plasti-Kote rattle cans a shot after having the tires dismounted. Then a few layers of clear coat designed for wheels.

But that's just me...:smilewink

Riff Raff
03/21/2011, 10:15 PM
I dunno...:_confused

I think I'd give a pristine cleaning, followed by Bulldog adhesion promoter & some Plasti-Kote rattle cans a shot after having the tires dismounted. Then a few layers of clear coat designed for wheels.

But that's just me...:smilewink

It ain't easy being cheesy!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ldub
03/22/2011, 08:20 PM
It ain't easy being cheesy!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Spoken like someone who knows from personal experience...:thumbup:

Well played!!!...:yes:

BeeVenom
03/23/2011, 01:56 PM
I have the KMC Thunder 20's chrome wheels as spares, now that i changed out for new wheels/tires. I'm having them powder-coated so they're different from your typical 'chrome' rim. I think they're gonna look pretty cool! scott