PDA

View Full Version : "REVISED" EXPANDED COMPREHENSIVE Questionnaire /checklist For Buyers Or Sellers

VX KAT
01/23/2011, 11:59 AM
vt_mav's comment in another thread yesterday about a sunroof got me thinking :_thinking about adding some more details (:eek:..:laugho:.) about aftermarket stuff to the VX Questionnaire...

Well, one thing lead to another :rollo:....and I expanded it quite a bit. After all, the older it gets, the more things we know to ask about, check, & evaluate... I also added item numbers for ease of use. I added a Checkbox too but it came out as a "?"....will have to figure out how to get that symbol in there.

Maybe we should keep BOTH versions around, so people can choose?
~VX QUESTIONNAIRE-1 (VQ1)
~DETAILED/EXPANDED/COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE-2 (DEC-VQ2 or just VQ-2??)

THOUGHTS, CORRECTIONS, CHANGES, ADDITIONS, IDEAS, COMPLAINTS????

Due to the limited production numbers of the VX, and natural attrition over time, the majority of VX purchases are now done long distance and/or over the internet. Because of this, we felt a very detailed, comprehensive checklist, specific to the VX, would be a valuable tool to the long-distance buyer, as well as any buyer or seller.

It covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10 -12 yrs old now.

This info can help both buyers and sellers. For buyers, it's like a roadmap to key issues to evaluate. For sellers, it provides valuable details for the long distance potential buyer.

DETAILED/EXPANDED/COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE-2
(FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS)

1) ? How long have you owned it?

2) ? Any service history records?

3) ? Electric windows work properly or bind or jump track?

4) ? Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

5) ? Is vapor barrier present behind door panel - If not, may indicate previous work on windows

6) ? Window regulator /motor been replaced?

7) ? SBC brackets ever installed on windows? Any type of modifications done to aid window function?

8) ? Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions? (when nearing oil change interval, on prolonged highway driving, etc...) Describe in DETAIL!!

9) ? Chrome wheels peeling or pitting? (many 18" chrome wheels on the 2000 and 2001 models had chrome peel on the inner side)

10) ? ABS - Is the ABS light on? Make sure ABS light comes on when key is first turned to ON position. If not, could be a problem and / or bulb has been removed. Note, many have disconnected ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and truck stills functions (just no ABS).

11) ? OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

12) ? Any problems with TOD? (Now or in the past)

13) ? Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating?

14) ?Brand & model of tires & approx tread remaining-

15) ? Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model, AIR PRESSURE & wear? (TOD system will often make severe clunking noises if all 4 aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms)

16) ? How long have these current 4 tires been on?

17) ? Timing belt changed? If yes, at what mileage and was water pump also done?

18) ? Spark plugs original or replaced? If replaced, what brand/type?

19) ? Original set of OEM brake pads still on? If replaced, what brand and at what mileage, front/rear or both?

20) ? Any type of fluids ever dripping, now or in the past?

21) ? What fluids have been changed and when/mileage? (oil, tranny, diffs, transfer case)

22) ? What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

23) ? Fuel filter ever been changed /recently?

24) ? MAF sensor cleaned?

25) ? PCV valve changed recently?

26) ? Front wheel bearings every repacked? When?

27) ? Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

28) ? Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel (often some missing or break off). Ever reinforced with wood dowels or other?

29) ? Condition of inside door opening handle/levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

30) ? Any unusual /excessive vibrations? - very subjective of course

31) ? Any problems with motor mounts?

32) ? Original OEM shocks (with reservoirs) still on? If replaced, at what mileage and what specific shocks?

33) ? Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, salt, corrosion, potential rust, desert sun (UV), etc)

34) ? Inspect thoroughly for rust!!
Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere? Check engine bay & front bolts above radiator/grill for rust.

35) ? Is rear gas tank skid plate or tail pipe showing rust?

36) ? Status of front bumper reinforcement bar behind front cladding? (Often rusts off completely)

37) ? Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -may give indication if it was in a rust belt area

38) ? General overall condition of paint - Describe. (fading, chipping, scratches, repainted areas)

39) ? Condition of hood insert - Describe. (very often cracked, or fasteners broken)

40) ? General overall condition of all body cladding? - Dry, faded, parched, scrapes, holes, deformation, chalky appearance? Any evidence of being "painted" in any way or other "permanent" type product applied? (i.e. Restore/Refinish, GatorBack)

41) ? Condition of plastic headlight housings - any crazing, fogged, cracked, etc...or been restored/polished, etc....(very often cloudy/fogged, particularly around "horn" area)

42) ? Rubber headlight gaskets- present at all?, ripped, condition

43) ? Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids (old or new) of any type?? Evaluate fluid levels.

44) ? Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

45) ? Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

46) ? Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

47) ? Ever been lifted? Describe.

48) ? Have front torsion bars been cranked?

49) ? Condition of CV joints & boots? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

50) ? Have CV boots been replaced?

51) ? Diff drop brackets installed?

52) ? Ball joint flip ever done?

53) ? Battery- status, condition and age

54) ? Any unusual lights illuminating on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

55) ? Any odors inside, such as smoke?

56) ? Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

57) ? Condition of center console padded armrest -(very often cracked and split where driver's elbow rests on it)

58) ? Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up from use)

59) ? Is the backseat present or removed?

60) ? Is OEM rear cargo carpet mat present? Condition?

61) ? Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

62) ? Have seat slider extension brackets/tracks been installed? (Usually thru Tom4Bren & "WelderGuy")

63) ? Does it have an OEM Yakima roof rack? (The 2 cross members, 4 towers and metal brackets that attach it to roof rails, and various hardware)

64) ? Are OEM rail caps in place and/or available? These fit on the roof rails when the OEM roof rack is NOT present. They cover the open area on the roof rails where the towers ordinarily would be mounted. They've sometimes been found under the seats or in the rear side storage cubbies (by the jack etc..)

65) ? Ever taken off road?

66) ? OEM or after-market tail pipe?

67) ? Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

68) ? Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

69) ? Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, rust etc... may indicate off road use

70) ? Has engine ever been replaced/rebuilt for any reason? Give details.

71) ? Has transmission ever been replaced/rebuilt for any reason? Give details.

72) ? Any known accidents? Describe.

73) ? Any frame damage or issues?

74) ? Any known repairs? Describe.

75) ? Any flood damage?

76) ? Is it a Salvage title?

77) ? Any body panels or cladding replaced?

78) ? Rear view camera installed?

79) ? Trailer hitch installed? Describe type. ("Tone" style or Curt style)

80) ? Any type of winch ever installed?

81) ? Status/condition of rear bump stops? (some have cut them in half)

82) ? Sunroof installed? Describe type...electric or pop up.

83) ? Supercharger installed? Alpine? Describe in detail.

84) ? After-market metal skid plates?

85) ? Any fiberglass/composite/plastic type skids, front or rear? Some were made by "Ron" at VXC (VX Concepts), some by Rowhard.

86) ? Upgraded headlights? HIDs?

87) ? Any auxiliary lighting added? Fog or driving lights, off road lights, etc..

88) ? Other lighting upgrades?...i.e LEDs. Where? Side markers, turn signals, brake lights, dome light, etc....

89) ? Brush guard or bull bar installed?

90) ? Aftermarket rims? Describe, size, brand, model.

91) ? Extra set or rims or tires included/available?

92) ? Stainless steel/braided brake lines?

93) ? Upgraded /additional stereo, amps, speakers etc... installed? Describe all.

94) ? Any sound deadening material installed?

95) ? Remote start function added?

96) ? Hatch popper kit installed?

97) ? Any Isuzu (Rodeo/Trooper/Amigo) Interior switches added such as fog lights, hatch popper, aux lights

98) ? Fuzzy hole have the 3 switch face plate added?

99) ? Any modifications done previously that have now been removed? (Such as lift, springs, cargo basket, hitch, S/C'er) Describe.

100) ? Any extra parts on hand? List.

last modified: 1/23/11

VXjunky
01/23/2011, 12:14 PM
first off...great job Sue,,,,,secondly,just curious...is the sunroof install still provided by anyone?...and if so what did or does that set one back?...and anyone that has one...does it work nice and smoothly...and mostly does it look like it was meant to be there?

VX KAT
01/23/2011, 12:40 PM
first off...great job Sue,,,,,secondly,just curious...is the sunroof install still provided by anyone?...and if so what did or does that set one back?...and anyone that has one...does it work nice and smoothly...and mostly does it look like it was meant to be there?

Thanks! It may be long, but it's sure comprehensive!

Sunroofs:
RiffRaff has one, he'd have some info.
RamAirZ had one.
That's the only 2 I can think of right now...I know there's several more though.....

Ebenezr
01/23/2011, 01:05 PM
And add:
101) If it is purple call Sue.... Ha ha ha.

VX KAT
01/23/2011, 01:26 PM
And add:
101) If it is purple call Sue.... Ha ha ha.

:thumbup: :laugho::laugho:

VXjunky
01/23/2011, 10:10 PM
_OMG_ can only imagine it having the black and red interior too...im going to hurl

VX KAT
01/23/2011, 10:13 PM
_OMG_ can only imagine it having the black and red interior too...im going to hurl
:confused: Are you talking about the purple one for sale?

vt_maverick
01/24/2011, 09:01 AM
Junky... master of thread mixing lol.

Sue - only comment would be to remove the reference to tom4bren / "Welder Guy" from this question:

62) ? Have seat slider extension brackets/tracks been installed? (Usually thru Tom4Bren & "WelderGuy")
Aside from the fact that Tone probably sold way more in his day, those names likely don't mean much to 95+% of sellers.

tom4bren
01/24/2011, 09:47 AM
Sue,

I started converting the list to Excel so that I could group stuff a little better (make it flow). I was thinking something like: Engine, Body, Cladding, Brakes, Exhaust, etc...

Lemme know what you think. I should be able to make it an editable pdf to make filling it out easier.

Ash - Glad ya got my back, Son!!! Actually I'd already modified that line anyway.

Tom

ZubrAZ
01/24/2011, 10:32 AM
IMO, certain sellers will be lazy to answer 100 questions about the car. the list with 15-20 general questions will provide enough info to cathc somebody's attention. and then, the potential buyer could ask for more info, if desired.

tom4bren
01/24/2011, 10:50 AM
IMO, certain sellers will be lazy to answer 100 questions about the car. the list with 15-20 general questions will provide enough info to cathc somebody's attention. and then, the potential buyer could ask for more info, if desired.

Zub,

Absolutely true ... but ... an enthusiastic seller is a real bonus when you are looking to buy. If they can't be bothered with answering questions about what they are selling then I probably wouldn't want to buy from them anyway.

Hopefully when I divide it into sections, it'll be a bit less daunting.

All,

A few more questions that may be worth adding to the list (thoughts???):

101 - Does it come with the obligatory matchbox VX in the fuzzy hole?

102 - Has cladding been trimmed to fit larger tires?

103 - Is there a mileage discrepancy associated with title? Explain.

104 - Is there a clear title? Can you ensure all liens are/will be satisfied.

105 - Are the windows tinted? What %?

106 - Does it have a Scan Guage installed? Where is it mounted?

107 - Does it have trailer light wiring? How is wiring secured?

108 - Is there an overhead console installed? If so, what is the manufacturer?

109 - Does it have a full sized spare? Where do you keep it? How is it secured?

110 - Is there a CB radio installed? Where/how is it mounted? Also give details of the antenna mount and cable routing.

111 - Does it have OEM fan or electric? If electric, provide the manufacturer and installer if known.

112 - Does it have a Super Flexy IFS kit installed?

113 - How many key fobs are available? What are their condition?

vt_maverick
01/24/2011, 11:07 AM
I think we may be getting too many questions, many of which don't have much to do with a yes/no/price decision. For example, what does it matter who the manufacturer is for an overhead console? I'd be more concerned with how well it's installed, and in any event, it doesn't increase or reduce the price.

Rather than spend all this brain power on generating more questions, I'd rather see us spend time writing up a few words/sentences for each question to explain to the buyer what they're looking for. Sue's question about the flattened tail pipe is a good example; after the question she explains to the questioner that this damage could indicate off roading.

Something to think about...

tom4bren
01/24/2011, 11:31 AM
I think we may be getting too many questions, many of which don't have much to do with a yes/no/price decision. For example, what does it matter who the manufacturer is for an overhead console? I'd be more concerned with how well it's installed, and in any event, it doesn't increase or reduce the price.

Rather than spend all this brain power on generating more questions, I'd rather see us spend time writing up a few words/sentences for each question to explain to the buyer what they're looking for. Sue's question about the flattened tail pipe is a good example; after the question she explains to the questioner that this damage could indicate off roading.

Something to think about...

Agree to disagree. The reason there are so many questions is that everyone wants to know different details.

I'm buying an on/off road vehicle - I expect that it's been taken off road.

What I don't know (& would like to) is that it has an overhead console from a minivan that has utilitarian value rather than an aftermarket one that has BUCU cubbies designed for everything EXCEPT my needs. Or that it has window tinting that will be illegal in my state. Or my pet peeve - trailer light wires dangling like a dingleberry.

I'll try to chunk the questions up into sections and possibly consolodate some. Maybe that'll be more palatable.

Look at the responses we've gotten to the questionaire so far. I don't think we've scared anyone away & a very large number of the responses are just yes/no/IDK.

vt_maverick
01/24/2011, 11:33 AM
What I don't know (& would like to) is that it has an overhead console from a minivan that has utilitarian value rather than an aftermarket one that has BUCU cubbies designed for everything EXCEPT my needs. Or that it has window tinting that will be illegal in my state.

That explanation is EXACTLY what I think should appear after each question.

tom4bren
01/24/2011, 11:53 AM
OK, I'll send YOU the spreadsheet:):):)

vt_maverick
01/24/2011, 11:54 AM
Hey you guys are the ones writing the questions, I'm just throwing darts. Why do I have to do anything? Whoops, maybe just answered my own question. ;) :p

VX KAT
01/24/2011, 06:54 PM
I definitely thought the 100 questions would intimidate/tick off some sellers, and they wouldn't bother answering some/all. That's why I think we should keep the two versions...the "short" version we've been using and this MUCH MORE detailed version so the buyer/seller can choose which they want to use. They may use the short at first, then use the long version if they're getting more serious about the purchase.

I definitely think grouping it into sections (Engine, Body, Cladding, Brakes, Exhaust, etc..) is the next logical step. As I was writing them, I somewhat tried to group them, kept some similar/related things together, but it needs much more grouping.

I think a buyer could print out the "detailed" list as it gives them more background knowledge of things to assess on their own if in person, or ask the seller verbally. It could be used like a guide. That way it won't intimidate the seller.

What about a last "group" for "MISC.". questions.....like the fuzzy hole questions, SuperFlexy IFS, ScanGauge, Overhead console, key fobs, trailer wiring, OEM fan, trailer wiring and any other stragglers. The other ones you wrote Tom are good and can be incorporated into the respective group.

I'm sure once we group the questions, we can then combine several questions...but I still see it being probably 90+ questions.

Here's my thoughts on the .pdf doc Tom created:

8. sentence cuts off...is the rest there?

10. sentence cuts off...is the rest there?

21 & 22 Combined: I thought a table format would increase clarity and aid completion.

What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular)

_____________S or R______MILEAGE__________DATE_________
Motor oil-
Diff-
Tranny-
Transf case-

28. Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel spare tire cover (often some missing or break off). Ever reinforced with wood dowels or other?

55. Any unusual odors, smoke, mustiness, dank?

63.. ;)

96. I would delete "Tone's", as mine was created and installed by my fav audio shop...they never even saw Tone's parts.

98. Has the fuzzy hole been modified in any way? Some put in a 3 switch panel or a clock, etc....

Ldub
01/24/2011, 07:00 PM
55. Any unusual odors, smoke, mustiness, dank?

Gank, skank, maybe robbed bank???...:laughing:

VX KAT
01/24/2011, 07:06 PM
Gank, skank, maybe robbed bank???...:laughing:
Once again....I'm cornfuze-ed :confused:

Ldub
01/24/2011, 08:54 PM
Once again....I'm cornfuze-ed :confused:

all rhyme with dank...:smilewink

VXjunky
01/24/2011, 09:08 PM
could this be a prank?

Grif
01/24/2011, 09:57 PM
Too much... absolute overkill IMHO.

VX KAT
01/24/2011, 11:10 PM
could this be a prank?

I assume you're referring to Dub's rhyme...and not the questionnaire...:confused:

Too much... absolute overkill IMHO.

That's why I suggested we keep the shorter version,....let 'em choose...best of both worlds hopefully....

tom4bren
01/25/2011, 09:23 AM
I'll make sure to add those trivial matters to the list.:)

vt_maverick
01/25/2011, 09:57 AM
What's the single most important thing a used car buyer is interested in? #1 above all others.

Yeah, the engine and transmission! I looked over that entire monstrosity of a list and saw absolutely no reference to how the engine or transmission operate. :confused:
Those are the most expensive parts being bought in this transaction.

Can the engine be started? If so, does it start easily and idle properly without using the gas pedal? Does it run good with smooth acceleration and no hesitation?

Does the transmission shift smooth and operate properly? Does it shift into overdrive when it should? Does the torque converter clutch lock-up when it should?

You're gonna ask the owner about odors, but not, "How's the engine running"? :o

Maybe I missed something in that list, but that stuff shoulda been at the top of the list from day one. :_confused

Mark Griffin

Maybe add "Does 4L/TOD system work?" also (unless that's what you meant by torque converter clutch lock-up).

VX KAT
01/25/2011, 10:51 AM
What's the single most important thing a used car buyer is interested in? #1 above all others.

Yeah, the engine and transmission! I looked over that entire monstrosity of a list and saw absolutely no reference to how the engine or transmission operate. :confused:
Those are the most expensive parts being bought in this transaction.

Can the engine be started? If so, does it start easily and idle properly without using the gas pedal? Does it run good with smooth acceleration and no hesitation?

Does the transmission shift smooth and operate properly? Does it shift into overdrive when it should? Does the torque converter clutch lock-up when it should?

You're gonna ask the owner about odors, but not, "How's the engine running"? :o

Maybe I missed something in that list, but that stuff shoulda been at the top of the list from day one. :_confused

Mark Griffin

"monstrosity"...Ouch Mark....:sado:
I don't know engines and many technical aspects like you all do....so I put this in big letters: THOUGHTS, CORRECTIONS, CHANGES, ADDITIONS, IDEAS, COMPLAINTS????.... Yours falls under "complaints"...so since I think this can be a joint project of all knowledgeable peeps....and those are excellent questions that I didn't think of at midnight.....let's add them! You just made it a better document! :yeso:

And change it, modify it, re-word it, chop it up in any other aspect we feel would make it better...for all of us.

I think the last two days we were focused mostly on how to get it "organized" since it's a wopper at 100 some questions and just jumped out and screamed "too long". I think content would be next up, then streamlining.

Of course, nobody has to use it, no problem....but I still believe it has value to newbies...and even others, as time goes on.

To use a very overused cliche...it's a work in progress!:thumbup:

tom4bren
01/26/2011, 04:51 AM
Well, no. The torque converter clutch is part of your automatic transmission. As you shift thru the gears it's a 100% fluid connection between the flywheel and the rear drive shaft, and with that comes horsepower loses.

That viscous coupling is commonly referred to as the torque converter. It used to be a big thing to upgrade your torque converter to a lower stall speed unit to cut down on the HP loss that he mentioned (at the expense of it shifting harder). Also, if you ever buy a tow vehicle with a factory tow package installed, that's one of the upgrades.

Picture this: next time you are stirring your coffee, stir real hard & then let go of the spoon. It'll keep spinning after you let go as the liquid pushes the spoon in the direction of the flow.

The torque converter is very much like a vat of hydraulic fluid with 2 concentric fans. The primary fan is connected to the engine. The secondary is connected to the output shaft of the tranny. As the engine turns the primary fan & spins the fluid, the fluid drives the secondary which turns the driveshaft.

This is all necessary for an automatic transmission to function properly.

Lock up torque converters are probably the biggest contributor in getting auto tranny vehicles to get comparable gas mileage to what manual trannys get.

BeeVenom
01/26/2011, 05:55 PM
Phew! Are these questions to scare someone away from buying a VX? Are there so many questions designed so that eventually a buyer will find 'something wrong' with a VX he/she is considering buying?
Even the newest VX's are gonna be 10 years old, so there are going to be signs of usage no matter how good we all are in preserving this beautiful sweatheart people mover. At any rate, I think prudent purchasing is a must and selling with integrity is a must! Nothing less.....Nothing more! :winko: