PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Polish (On Interior Leather)?

VXjunky
01/21/2011, 09:17 AM
anyone tried shoe polish on their seat leather?

tom4bren
01/21/2011, 10:32 AM
I'd be afraid of it rubbing off onto my clothes.

VXjunky
01/21/2011, 10:50 AM
that was my fear as well....so i used it on my wifes seat....so far so good....made a nice difference too...the black match not a problem...and lucked out and found the right shade of gray first try...kiwi brands..."meltonian #174, light grey"

tom4bren
01/21/2011, 12:00 PM
that was my fear as well....so i used it on my wifes seat....

BWAAHAAHAA!!!!

Here's hoping she doesn't read this:)

VX KAT
01/21/2011, 01:32 PM
Slightly off- topic...I recall somebody used shoe polish on their CLADDING....with apparent success...

Etfren
01/21/2011, 04:25 PM
Slightly off- topic...I recall somebody used shoe polish on their CLADDING....with apparent success...

Thats actually what I expected this to be about before I clicked on it.

Why not use a regular automotive leather cleaner product?

tom4bren
01/21/2011, 04:43 PM
I'm guessing that his seats were faded & he was trying to darken them

johnnyapollo
01/21/2011, 06:31 PM
Shoe polish is basically just paste wax with pigment. It's some of the best stuff you can put on leather (or wood furniture, believe it or not). The wax fills in all the micro pores and cracks to provide an active layer of protection from the elements (air and sunlight are the two worst).

If you're leather is faded a good upholsterer can degloss the leather and apply fresh dye, then a clear over-coat. You can really extend the life of the leather that way - it's difficult to match an existing color, but when you degloss you can bring the pigment up to a slightly darker shade to balance out the colors - you'd want to do all the leather if you're attacking the gray.

-- John

VXjunky
01/21/2011, 06:54 PM
They're not faded... Just correcting a blemish here and there... With success I might ad

Mile High VX
01/22/2011, 07:16 AM
I use leather dye and not shoe polish.

If you have blemishes or cracking (not rips) the dye will even out the blemishes and get down into the cracks and color the underlying backing.

Then use a good leather cleaner and let dry for about 30 minutes.

Looks new.

If you search Isuzu Leather Dye you'll get some hits. For the black I just use the Kiwi product from Walmart. For the grey, use a product from the net.

BeeVenom
01/22/2011, 12:34 PM
Hmmph! Shoe polish. Interesting!

Impi
01/25/2011, 07:25 AM
that was my fear as well....so i used it on my wifes seat....so far so good....made a nice difference too...

Absolutely brilliant!!! :bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb: