PDA

View Full Version : mpg

lenny
09/10/2003, 02:47 PM
hi all

well im new to the vx i picked mine up today an im impressed
but when i read the specs it scares me to death 15 mpg round town an 19 on highway, as i live in uk and the cost of fuel is expensive, so as any one got more out of there vx, im not going to get rid just because of that but im sure they must be better than that on fuel

thanks all

AlaskaVX
09/10/2003, 02:50 PM
I hardly ever saw those numbers, more like 11-12 in town and 14-16 on the highway. However now with the supercharger and PV muffler I see more like 14-15 in town and 16-17 highway. Of course I do drive pretty fast.

lenny
09/10/2003, 02:56 PM
i did abit of that on way home an yes they do go very well

love it

Moncha
09/10/2003, 03:14 PM
I have an average of 17.. The subect has been around for awhile now. If mileage is a concern, sorry you got the wrong truck..

On a similar note, we just got my wife a 2003 Honda Pilot and it does no better.

itsaysjack
09/10/2003, 03:22 PM
i usually get about 17+ a gallon including mountain driving.
stan

lenny
09/10/2003, 03:31 PM
no sorry

i dont think i got wrong truck i think i live in the wrong country
but hey cant have it all can i

SGT.BATGUANO
09/10/2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
I have an average of 17.. The subect has been around for awhile now. If mileage is a concern, sorry you got the wrong truck..

On a similar note, we just got my wife a 2003 Honda Pilot and it does no better.

Scott,

Glad to see you're feeling well enough to post. Knew that stinkin'
virus couldn't keep you down.

Back on topic, I'm averaging about 17.5 city / hwy.

AlaskaVX
09/10/2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
I never get over 15...and that is extremely no stress or up hill driving and stict highway miles and downhill all the way!!!!
Must be a 2001 Ironman thing? ;)

coachreed
09/12/2003, 08:01 PM
Doesn't seem to matter whether its highway or city for me... I get around 15ish no matter what do. I have had all city driving yield 300-320 miles on a 20gallon (yeah, I run it to the limit) and I have had easy goin long highway drives with the same exact mileage. I'm used to getting crappy gas mileage as I have only had one car in my time to get good number... enjoy it!

TTYL!

Ebony1433
09/12/2003, 08:23 PM
While we're on this topic, I've been wondering if there's any ideas out there in "VX-land" to improve mileage....I took a new job which requires a 72 mile, one-way commute...I'm getting anywhere from 320-340 miles per tankfull...I've done the following:

(A) K & N air filter
(B) Royal Purple fluids everywhere
(C) Always leave the Power button on.....

Have I missed anything? I do drive 80 mph-plus when I can, and that won't change....should I just surrender and buy Exxon stock?

Seidmanrob
09/12/2003, 08:26 PM
I just filled up and averaged 16.5 for all city driving. Oh! I also had an electric sunroof put in yesterday, its wonderful. Now I can enjoy the sun and enjoy the truck.

AnalogVX
09/12/2003, 08:38 PM
I was getting about 280-290 per tank. Noctrnal can attest to that. Drove him nuts I think on the way to Moab!

I now have;
PV muffler
air box elbw removed
synthetic engine oil
and I am now getting 320-340 miles per tank as well. That's up until the light comes on.

Triathlete
09/12/2003, 10:27 PM
Spazz, those big meats probably don't help the MPG's;eeky; ;Dy;
I just got 320 miles on my last tank...that includes city/hwy driving plus 5 hours of 4 wheelin'! I'm riding on 31's(till they wear out).

David Wiltshire
09/13/2003, 02:27 AM
Hi lenny,
Glad to see another U.K. Vx owner. I have had my VX now for 7 months. Over this period of time I have compiled parts numbers for the more general consumables i.e. air filters oil filters etc. I'm afraid you will not get great fuel consumption from the VX and as it runs better on Shell Optimax it will cost you slightly more. I guess you have checked that the air filter is in good condition, I get about 325 miles from a £65 fuel up not great but then the vehicle is such fun to drive. If you get any problems with the windows or the reversing camera/hifi screen let me know as I have gone through all this. You will find this site a great source of info and Scotts's Moncha site gives you loads of tech. info.
I am in the process of looking into some uprated brake pads from EBC and trying to find the part numbers for the wheel bearings. I get my parts from St Charles Isuzu in the states.
Again welcome to VX ownership in the U.K.
There are a few of us U.K. owners who use this site.

Inaba
09/13/2003, 02:54 PM
When I first bought my VX, I would get maybe 300 miles per tank, running it down to .5 gallons left in the tank... and that was if I was lucky.

Since then, I've installed an Interceptor, Calmini air filter kit, and a PV Cat-Back system. Now I get about 370 miles per tank running it down to .5 gallons left in the tank.

(Yes, I run it to the limit. 20 gallons is not running it to the limit :) ... 22 gallon fill up is running it to the limit! My best so far is a 22.37 gallon fill up.)

coachreed
09/15/2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Inaba
Since then, I've installed an Interceptor, Calmini air filter kit, and a PV Cat-Back system. Now I get about 370 miles per tank running it down to .5 gallons left in the tank.

Holy Batcrap Josh... how the freak did you get 370 miles out of a tank?! Did you pay attention to the MPG increase for each of the mods? I have done LOOOOONG, SLOOOOOW highway drives (average 70mph) and have NEVER gotten close to 370 miles on a tank... and I run mine down to at least a 20 gallone fill-up. I'd like to know what I need to do. Anyway... I'll continue to drive and enjoy the VX no matter how bad it gets...

TTYL!

tomdietrying
09/15/2003, 05:35 AM
I've never gotten a 22 gallon fill up, but I never really tried either.

If Inabba is correct, you can get 370 out of your VX. 370 miles per tank divided by 22 gallons is only 16.8 per gallon.

I've gotten almost 20 miles per gallon driving from Houston to Dallas. I was going about 80 the whole way.

WormGod
09/15/2003, 08:13 AM
MPG in the VX always amazed me. Mine is absolutely horrible. The best I EVER managed was about 16mpg. Typically though, I manage about 13. I do nearly 95% city/traffic driving though, so I know what to expect from it and I don't complain. If it bothered me that much, I would get a unicycle. ;)

Tiger66
09/15/2003, 08:20 AM
I've been at 15 to 17 for years too. But think of it this way Lenny, even at $4 a gallon, it's only $800 a year difference between 15 and 20 MPG at 12,000 miles. So you pay a bit of a premium to drive a VX. You wanted KOOL right?

PS: does Isuzu sell VX in the UK or was it privately imported? Right or left drive?

Dallas4u
09/15/2003, 08:37 AM
I don't think I've ever gotten above 14 mpg (around 320 mp/tank. My drive from Dallas to Portland should have yeilded some decent results in flat areas... and this was the BEST I could do. Of course, it was nice laying on the pedal in the middle of the desert with the SC flaring up at me (which doesn't help mpg either)!

Navigator
09/15/2003, 09:40 AM
... those numbers only apply when the engine is running and the vehicle is in motion... and of course then you will be having way too much fun to care :D

valenki
09/15/2003, 10:33 AM
I have gotten 390 out of my tank. I had the K&N filter plus a Tornado and the STP Gas treatment. Driving on the highway about 70-75 MPH

If there is a good gassaving muffler, can anyone give me the heads-up? Please.

MrCrowley
09/15/2003, 10:52 AM
I have noticed the biggest mileage difference with amsoil differential fluid change. went from about 300 per tank to 340 per tank. By all the posters on here, I think it proves true, too. Even in my Trooper (part time 4x4) with same drivetrain didnt do as good. Must be an awd thing- less resistance.

WormGod
09/15/2003, 02:31 PM
Sorry, I am still amazed that people are even getting over 300 miles on a full tank. I range from 240-260 usually. Like I said, all city driving with a lead foot whenever possible.

Wow wow wow.... I am missing out! :(

Dallas4u
09/15/2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
Sorry, I am still amazed that people are even getting over 300 miles on a full tank. I range from 240-260 usually. Like I said, all city driving with a lead foot whenever possible.

Wow wow wow.... I am missing out! :(

Oh, you and me both, buddy! I paid, for the first time in my life, $40 a week ago for a tank of gas! $40! Around town I average 250 miles... sometimes more, sometimes less. I only get on the highway to cross a bridge, and that's it. Most the time is spent going 35-40 miles an hour.

lenny
09/15/2003, 03:27 PM
well i did a test today i run my vx till fuel light came on then put 5.7 gallons in =26 or so litres and got to a 125 miles so in my calculation (and i may be wrong so dont shout just put me right) i got 21.92 miles

and that was'nt hard driveing infact it was more like sunday driveing so next test is to put same amount in and floor it about

AlaskaVX
09/15/2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by lenny
well i did a test today i run my vx till fuel light came on then put 5.7 gallons in =26 or so litres and got to a 125 miles so in my calculation (and i may be wrong so dont shout just put me right) i got 21.92 miles
That has to be wrong! And if not WOW! My best was after first buying it I cruised across Kansas at 90mph and got 19.5! I think I found a gas station that had some 94 octane or something. (not sure if that was the same fillup though, long trip to AK)

Inaba, I have no idea how you can get a 22+gallon fillup. I have ran the thing to the point of spuddering pulling into the gas station and it was still only a 20-gallon fillup, I remember this because I was pretty pissed that I had 2.5 more gallons in there somewhere and I couldn't use it. Did they do this on purpose to cut down on gasoline deposits or whatnot? Why that much? 2.5-gallons seems way too much for me.

lenny
09/15/2003, 04:03 PM
i will do more testing to see what i get to the gallon which over here is 4.54 litres

i am at the moment looking at an lpg conversion, but dont know about it as yet

VehiX
09/15/2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by coachreed
Doesn't seem to matter whether its highway or city for me... I get around 15ish no matter what do. I have had all city driving yield 300-320 miles on a 20gallon (yeah, I run it to the limit) and I have had easy goin long highway drives with the same exact mileage. I'm used to getting crappy gas mileage as I have only had one car in my time to get good number... enjoy it!

TTYL!

the VX gas tank holds 22.5 so you are not really pushing it to the limit ;)

lenny
09/15/2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Tiger66
I've been at 15 to 17 for years too. But think of it this way Lenny, even at $4 a gallon, it's only $800 a year difference between 15 and 20 MPG at 12,000 miles. So you pay a bit of a premium to drive a VX. You wanted KOOL right?

PS: does Isuzu sell VX in the UK or was it privately imported? Right or left drive?

no they dont sell the vx over here it was imported and is right hand drive and when i first saw it i thought it was butt ugly but in a wierd way but ive had mine 5 days now an yes i likes it alot

Inaba
09/15/2003, 04:59 PM
Holy Batcrap Josh... how the freak did you get 370 miles out of a tank?! Did you pay attention to the MPG increase for each of the mods? I have done LOOOOONG, SLOOOOOW highway drives (average 70mph) and have NEVER gotten close to 370 miles on a tank... and I run mine down to at least a 20 gallone fill-up. I'd like to know what I need to do. Anyway... I'll continue to drive and enjoy the VX no matter how bad it gets...

It's not a fluke... I've repeated it three times now. I can get 370 miles per 22 gallon fill up now with my mods. Prior to that, I was happy to get 300 per tank.

I think the PV cat-back system was the big boost. My Calmini Filter gave me maybe a few more miles, and I can't see how the Interceptor would give me a whole lot in milage. So that leaves the PV cat-back as the biggest gainer in MPG.

16.8 MPG seems to be my average now, with my mix of highway/in town driving. I suspect I could push it to about 450 per tank straight highway. Next time I go to Colorado, I will try to run it to empty and see how far I can get on a tank.

BTW - if I have the AC on, it will bring my full tank run down to about 330 miles per tank.

As for how I get 22.3 gallons in my tank, I fill that sucker up to the brim. Literally... The tank is filled all the way up to the top of the pipe into the tank. It takes a little while and finesse to get the gas to go in after the first couple auto-shut offs, but I've wittled it down to a science :)

By god, there will be no build up of gunk in MY tank!!

And Randy!! Where's my tires man! I've been waitin' for your call :)

WyrreJ
09/15/2003, 06:40 PM
There are other things that may affect MPG, like mixture. Some states change the mixture of their gas depending on the season, some places like Cali have MTBE others like Illinois(?) have ethanol and who knows what else is getting mixed in there that kills efficiency.

I also read a blurb in the latest Car & Driver about Isuzu's new 3.5 V6. They said that the sulfur content of American gas prevents it from getting either ULEV and/or more efficiency, I forget exactly.

So, just another couple of possible factors that might apply, especially when comparing UK gas to American gas.

VehiX
09/15/2003, 06:58 PM
Spark plug condition and gap along with tire pressure are some of the most overlooked itmes when people calculate gas milage. Not huge differences but differences none the less. Keep an eye on both of these items from time to time.

:)

andy454
09/15/2003, 09:07 PM
Just a heads up. It's not a good idea to fill the tank until the neck is full. You can get to a point that fuel can enter the tank pressure sensor and cause damage. Two clicks on the pump is SAE standards. Just don't want to see a fellow VXer cause some damage

nocturnalVX
09/15/2003, 11:10 PM
No the VX doesn't get great gas milage... especially if your right foot is on the heavy side. However, it does seem some do better than others (yes Analog's was thirstier than mine) and they like RPM's too... power mode & 3rd gear around town, WOO HOO! Thanks Tone for showing me how to find the rev limiter... ! :rolleyes: :D
The VehiCROSS ROCKS!

tiggergreen
09/16/2003, 03:26 AM
Well we just returned from Redmond and got 360 miles on the odometer. We filled up with 20.6 gallons making it roughly 17.5 mpg. I too have the custom cat-back system and attribute most of my mpg gains to this incredible mod.

This was driving with the Power Button on and with us having to go 85mph+ to get around a jerk in a Nissan Altima who sped up everytime we tried to pass him but would then slow back down to 74mph after a failed attempt. We also had a large Sears roof-top cargo box on, two adults and three small children...

I am actually getting worse mpg now that I have the custom chrome intake on the engine...

Brent

coachreed
09/16/2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Inaba
And Randy!! Where's my tires man! I've been waitin' for your call :)

Josh-
I lifted the VX on Sunday... going for an alignment tonight after I get out of training... I will go get the tires rotated and balanced tomorrow night... and well... whenever your ready for them... they are yours... I'll try giving you a call today/tonight... busy busy schedule these last few weeks... but I have changed jobs and so I now have a little more free time. ;Db; I'll TTYL!

TTYL!

WormGod
09/16/2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by tiggergreen

This was driving with the Power Button on and with us having to go 85mph+ to get around a jerk in a Nissan Altima who sped up everytime we tried to pass him but would then slow back down to 74mph after a failed attempt. We also had a large Sears roof-top cargo box on, two adults and three small children...

Don't go around him then.... go THROUGH him. ;) The DC Beltway way.

Sheik-YurBooty
09/16/2003, 08:25 AM
Heck!, I never checked to see how many MPG'S that I'm getting on my VX. But if I did check it, I probably would'nt drive it!!!

Inaba
09/16/2003, 11:45 AM
Just a heads up. It's not a good idea to fill the tank until the neck is full. You can get to a point that fuel can enter the tank pressure sensor and cause damage. Two clicks on the pump is SAE standards. Just don't want to see a fellow VXer cause some damage

Really? I was wondering if this was "a bad thing" (tm) ...

Where is the sensor located? I have been filling up that way since I got the VX. Should I stop doing that then? I just hate filling up, so I try to go as far as I can in between gas station visits.

tiggergreen
09/16/2003, 12:26 PM
Good idea, wormgod - I'll just get one of those custom car ripping attachments rigged onto my front-end... Once they see the spinning blades in their "Objects are much closer than they appear" mirror, they will hastily beat a retreat into the right lane where they belong. ;Dp;

Brent

WyrreJ
09/16/2003, 07:33 PM
Two clicks on the pump is SAE standards.

What does that mean exactly?

paultvx
09/16/2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by tiggergreen
I am actually getting worse mpg now that I have the custom chrome intake on the engine...

More air = more gas.

Jonnie
09/16/2003, 08:17 PM
Just got 370 on 20 gallons, using a/c.

Jonathan

Raque Thomas
09/17/2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by paultvx
More air = more gas.

I've noticed the same thing since installing one of those cone filters from eBay. Paul - I read your explanation earlier about this not adding any HP to the VX, but it sure FEELS like I've got more power now. I know the sound is going to mislead you some, but the "seat-of-the-pants" feel has changed quite a bit. To your quote above, if more air equals more gas - are we just washing raw gas out the exhaust? Or are we really getting the benefit of more gas & air mixture getting to the combustion chamber? My gas mileage has gone from about 290 miles per tank to around 200:confused:

SPAZZ
09/17/2003, 07:19 AM
I put on a Calmini filter shortly after my 18,000 mile mark and my gas mielage went from 200 mpt to 235 mpt......

WormGod
09/17/2003, 07:47 AM
Just filled up last night. From a full tank, all city driving. Waited till the gas light came on just to run it low enough to get a legit # on my MPG.

Last full tank got me 236 miles. Fresh full tank cost me $41.15.

My dream in also my curse. I can live with it.

EDIT: Also, this is WITH a HotShot intake, PV exhaust, and the Interceptor. Maybe the 285/60's play a small part in this, but as I said, "I aint skert!"

Dallas4u
09/17/2003, 08:20 AM
Yep... $40 a tank, ain't it grand! My last tank gave me around the same (236 miles). I have a PV and interceptor (I don't think it matters), and an SC of course.

Navigator
09/17/2003, 10:31 AM
Just about everyting that matters is stock with the exception of the K&N drop in air filter. Tires @ 32psi. I do most of my driving with the windows down and the stereo cranked, so I am sure I could get slightly better numbers. BTW 87 octane runs $1.59 per gallon and 93 octane runs around 1.74 in my area so $35 fillups are not uncommon :yes:

Dallas4u
09/17/2003, 11:39 AM
Man, the east coast seems always to have cheaper gas... bastids!

valenki
09/17/2003, 11:53 AM
Like i said before,

I went 390 miles on my tank, went to fill up and had .8 gallons left. I drove on the highway almost all the time. I have a k&N and tornado.

Where can I get a cat back system? I wonder if it will improve the mpg whatsoever?

please help if you can, thanks Val

Tone
09/17/2003, 01:30 PM
Cat back is not needed to get the benefit of the PV Muffler (and more than doubles the price) or any other free flowing muffler on the VX but several people with the PV have seen improvements. I do have the muffers in stock when you are ready.

AlaskaVX
09/17/2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by valenki
Where can I get a cat back system? I wonder if it will improve the mpg whatsoever?
When I put the PV muffler on I saw a 1mpg increase, definately worth it if you don't mind a loud muffler

tiggergreen
09/17/2003, 01:56 PM
When I put the Cat-Back system on, my MPG went from 16 to 19. Now it is back down to 17.5 with the custom chrome intake.

Definitely worth the price. I liked the Cat-Back as it was a bolt-on system - I was able to do it myself. If you buy the PV muffler, you will have to get it welded...

Brent
www.xanderstudios.com

valenki
09/17/2003, 02:12 PM
Well, let me put it this way:

First: I am very interested in buying one, how much does it cost?

Second: I have just invested a whole bunch of money into my multimedia system and my credit cards are maxed out. As soon as I get that christmass bonus I am inn !!!! Thanks, Val

Navigator
09/19/2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Man, the east coast seems always to have cheaper gas... bastids!

Don't be HaTe'N... :p

Ice Cream Man
10/07/2003, 03:53 PM
I get 16-17 around town: mixed driving. 20-22 ish highway, usually cruising at 70-75 mph

lenny
10/07/2003, 04:07 PM
hi

yep i seem to be getting around the 22 mark
would love for petrol prices to drop a little (a lot)
then i would be alot happier and wouldnt have to watch what i get but hey sod cos the vx is worth it

VX_HK
10/07/2003, 06:45 PM
I envy u guys...

In Hong Kong a full tank costs me about $90 (Yes...in USD)

I drove on highway mostly but still it is $0.2 / KM (I guess 1 KM = 0.6 mile)

.....and mine is a 3.2L engine only.

Dallas4u
10/07/2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by lenny
yep i seem to be getting around the 22 mark

Would that be, kilometers?

Vasha13
10/08/2003, 06:06 AM
I get about 315 mpt until the light comes on. All stock except change to synthetic fluids - 50/50 between highway and residential. I keep the power button on all the time.

AnalogVX
10/08/2003, 03:24 PM
I just filled up today with 371.2 miles on the odometer and put 20.014 gallons in the tank. That comes to 18.54 MPG! The only difference I can think of was I had to go from 87 octane to 89 octane because it was the regular grade fuel available at that station. Maybe a fluke? I had a good mix of highway and city driving with alot short trips under 5 miles in town.

lenny
10/08/2003, 04:18 PM
hi

well in uk they say our unleaded is 95 oct but they lie about most things so thats probably a lie to

but im roughly gettin 22 mpg

thanks

WyrreJ
10/08/2003, 04:23 PM
I think I read somewhere that the way the usa measures octane is different from the way britain and europe do. Something about Petrol vs Gas...

tiggergreen
10/08/2003, 06:25 PM
Using Tone's tow hitch and pulling a 5' x 8' U-Haul trailer with a 65" HDTV, a plush recliner and some other stuff, I went 331.6 miles on 21.355 gallons (15.53 mpg). Not too shabby!

By the way, the VX tows wonderfully. This vehicle is so well-rounded...

Brent
www.xanderstudios.com

WyrreJ
10/08/2003, 11:57 PM
Sounds like you were yuppie camping. The most yuppie I ever did was to bring a blender and inverter along to make margaritas. A recliner and an RPHDTV is taking it to a whole new level!

tiggergreen
10/09/2003, 09:38 AM
After reading your reply about this being a Yuppie campout - I was rolling on the floor (figuratively). I re-read my post and saw how you could come up with such a claim.

Actually, the truth is I was picking up my brother who was thrown out of his house by his wife (getting a divorce). He is now living with me. I was bringing his stuff and picked up my parent's HDTV while I was up in the Seattle area. They are in an RV right now and do not have a house. So I get to use the TV until they buy another house...

Brent
www.xanderstudios.com

WyrreJ
10/09/2003, 06:00 PM
To really get off-topic -- If you get used to the HDTV and decide you gotta get one of your own - let me know and I'll steer you towards putting together a front projection system thats 4x the screen size for about the same price (and a heck of a lot easier to move since projectors usually weigh less than 30lbs, many of them less than 10lbs).

14erclimber
10/11/2003, 05:27 PM
I have calculated milage from day one on my VehiCross. Here are the numbers.

08/03/2002 0 total miles 276 miles/20.50 gallons 13.5mpg
08/11/2002 19.05 gallons
08/23/2002 1083 total miles 338 miles/21.84 gallons 15.5mpg
08/31/2002 n/a total miles 300 miles/19.71 gallons 15.2mpg
09/25/2002 1591 total miles 271 miles/18.08 gallons 14.4mpg
10/11/2002 1866 total miles 266 miles/18.48 gallons 14.4mpg
11/07/2002 2108 total miles 242 miles/19.53 gallons 12.4mpg
11/30/2002 n/a total miles 266 miles/21.40 gallons 12.4mpg
12/28/2002 n/a total miles 265 miles/21.13 gallons 12.6mpg
01/28/2003 2900 total miles 235 miles/21.66 gallons 10.9mpg
02/27/2003 3170 total miles 274 miles/21.90 gallons 12.5mpg
04/10/2003 3409 total miles 234 miles/21.00 gallons 11.1mpg
04/21/2003 3709 total miles 300 miles/20.20 gallons 14.9mpg
04/30/2003 4030 total miles 321 miles/20.40 gallons 15.7mpg
05/12/2003 4370 total miles 340 miles/20.90 gallons 16.3mpg
05/19/2003 4695 total miles 324 miles/19.70 gallons 16.4mpg
06/02/2003 4910 total miles 215 miles/14.04 gallons 15.3mpg
06/18/2003 5136 total miles 226 miles/13.26 gallons 17.0mpg
06/25/2003 5490 total miles 354 miles/19.57 gallons 18.0mpg
06/30/2003 5703 total miles 212 miles/15.36 gallons 13.8mpg
07/04/2003 6015 total miles 311 miles/18.82 gallons 16.5mpg
08/01/2003 6312 total miles 297 miles/20.97 gallons 14.2mpg
08/17/2003 6516 total miles 206 miles/13.70 gallons 15.0mpg
09/06/2003 6834 total miles 316 miles/19.36 gallons 16.3mpg
09/22/2003 7120 total miles 285 miles/17.88 gallons 15.9mpg
09/30/2003 7368 total miles 249 miles/14.18 gallons 17.6mpg
10/11/2003 7708 total miles 339 miles/20.87 gallons 16.3mpg

384.1 divided by 26 = 14.7730mpg mean

darsh

I pump it until it clicks, then give one extra small squirt for no reason.

(one of these fill-ups had the VX running on vapor. I pulled over not wanting to run the fuel pump dry. I sat a second looking at the Amoco station 100 yards away. I started the VX up, got some speed... all it would give me.... ran a red light while taking a left on a dead engine (sorry), and rolled to the pump.)

vxfan
10/12/2003, 10:42 PM
anyone tried any of that additive stuff? like stp?

davidashaw
09/15/2004, 11:30 PM
Hi Dont forget the US gallon is 1 quart short of an Imperial Gallon !

BritVX
09/16/2004, 05:21 AM
Hi,

One thing that I'm going to do to improve mpg is remove the huge cooling fan and replace it with a thermostat controlled electric fan. I've done this previously on other cars and gained significantly.

Col

Tone
09/16/2004, 07:21 AM
I did that and saw NO gain in MPG or power and ened up going back to the better cooling stock clutch fan. MPG? Does it really matter?

SPAZZ
09/16/2004, 09:18 AM
if I was driving a H1 and had to pay gas guzler tax, then I would not care about MPG....but, with this little slant 6 that comes no way near the Torque and capabilities or size and sturdy-ness...I should expect no way near the same MPG between a VX and a H1.

Isn't the V6 in the VX just a 3.2 motor with 3.5 heads?????? it performs, but stock I only received 10MPG in it...after a cone filter, fuel miser, tornadoe, and 456 gears I ended up with almost 14MPG......still not good enough for a little slant 6. our Tranny should have been the 4L60E instead of the 4L30E.

Sheik-YurBooty
09/16/2004, 12:56 PM
I use high test , never used power mode...any comments? I cant say for sure what my mpg is , but since installing Tones PV2, it seems quite better, not to mention the extra power & awsome sound!!!!!

crager34
09/17/2004, 10:58 AM
I have a PV muffler - Used a Fuel Injector cleaner and a couple times I used an octane booster - Now I run 87 octane and get 16-17 on and off highway driving.

Joe_Black
09/17/2004, 11:47 AM
with this little slant 6
What, you got a Duster engine in yours? Mine came with a V6! ;pg;

Isn't the V6 in the VX just a 3.2 motor with 3.5 heads
It'd still be a 3.2 then. Basically the same engine though, just stroked a tad. ;Do;

Yeah, I know, being a smart-***** :naughty:

SPAZZ
09/17/2004, 01:57 PM
for gas mileage versus the performance.

mrtew
09/19/2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
for gas mileage versus the performance.

Don't forget that when you have huge tires on you're numbers are going to be all wrong. The larger diameter makes the odometer think you've only gone 8 or 9 miles when you've really gone ten, so it looks like they've really hurt your mileage even if they haven't. If you think you're getting 16mpg you are probably getting more like 18. Since getting my Nittos 285s I've checked my mileage and gotten much better mileage, although I attribute it to the engine loosening up as I approach 50,000 miles. I was getting at least 19mpg on the highway over my summer vacation from MI to AZ thru the flat states :-] and I used to get more like 14.