PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to "moab" a VX?

mindaugas
01/10/2011, 04:44 PM
Most of the time, before I had a VX, I looked at the pix of all the moab meets you guys have had and dreamed of going one day. Now that I have a VX I no longer need to dream. But what do I need besides it for Moab? Vehicle related that is: knobby tires covered in sticky glue, steel bars duct taped to the bottom to rub against rocks, chrome deuce deuce spinners?

jk, seriously though, I'd love to go this year, but I won't have money to modify it for moab. I may have some spare cash for tires, but I even there I can't get giant 33" mud running tires, I still need to commute with it.

taylorRichie
01/10/2011, 04:50 PM
2 weeks after I bought my VX I went to Moab, on smaller than stock tires, and stock height. Only did a couple trails (Dome Plateau, and Klondike Bluffs) Many stock vxs have done much more difficult trails.

You'll be just fine :)

Triathlete
01/10/2011, 05:14 PM
Yep, like TR said many have come and done just fine in stock VXs. Scott (Moncha) is a great example. Just pick your trails wisely and follow someone equally equiped so you can see what lines work. Don't follow me and you will be fine (yep, I'm the guy that usually goes the way they say not to!:yesy:). Hope you make it...you definately won't regret it.

MSHardeman
01/10/2011, 05:19 PM
The first two years I went to Moab I was completely stock and did just fine. Like others have said, just pick an easier trail and take it easy. Heck, even on some of the more difficult trails there are usually by-passes to the really hard stuff. I've seen a couple of VX's out there on nearly bald tire and they did just fine.

We usually get a little convoy together on the Sunday (or is it the Monday) before the meet starts. As people come across the country from the East they pick up other VX's and by the time they get here to Colorado there are usually quite a few VX's cruising down the interstate behind each other. VERY cool sight.

Triathlete
01/10/2011, 05:49 PM
I've seen a couple of VX's out there on nearly bald tire and they did just fine.

Paging PBKid!:yesy:

VX KAT
01/10/2011, 05:53 PM
I've seen a couple of VX's out there on nearly bald tire and they did just fine.

And Travis! (tjh) :eek: It was an amazing sight!

VX KAT
01/10/2011, 05:56 PM
There's a "Moab checklist" somewhere I've seen on the site...check around for it, gives you tons of info.

And yes, you can go stock, as all the others have said, and have a great time, AND not destroy your VX. I went stock 1st yr, then just added slightly larger tires, no lift, for the 2nd year, did great. You can skip the harder boulder strewn trails (I do) and still have a fantastic time on many other trails.

Ldub
01/10/2011, 08:48 PM
Kenny posted the best Moab list I've ever seen.

mindaugas
01/11/2011, 06:02 AM
Yay, this sounds great, now I just need to convince the wife. Maybe if she knows she can knit during all of this.

Bob Barker
01/11/2011, 06:03 AM
The Kenny list isn't there any more, the thread is, but the list removed...

mindaugas
01/11/2011, 06:13 AM
damn, I didn't know this was during the week, assumed it was a 4 day weekend. I take it all back, no moab for me, I have to save my vacation time this year.

tom4bren
01/11/2011, 07:48 AM
Yay, this sounds great, now I just need to convince the wife. Maybe if she knows she can knit during all of this.

Show her the pix taken at Moab last year. My wife wants to go now that she's seen how nice the scenery is.

damn, I didn't know this was during the week, assumed it was a 4 day weekend. I take it all back, no moab for me, I have to save my vacation time this year.

You should be able to just go for the long weekend - don't need to stay for the whole thing.

vt_maverick
01/11/2011, 07:56 AM
... I have to save my vacation time this year.

I hear you, I'm saving leave/vacation now to (hopefully) go in 2012. Problem is there's not much left after we go to Wisconsin twice a year, but hopefully if we slice a few days off the trip and I work some on those trips I'll have enough by then.

tjh
01/11/2011, 04:14 PM
Yikes ! I had, way toooo much fun . I went with a OME lift, but I was on stock tires ( which looked silly ) that were a wee bit worn "highway treads " . Oh my did I ever enjoy myself ? Yes and yes . I was very surprised at what the VX can umm, smash/crawl/speed through/over, stuff like that. Then there is all this beautiful landscape ... it's toooooooo much I need some mo MOAB !

Ebenezr
01/11/2011, 04:27 PM
I Want To Go!!!!!....but can't. :[

Triathlete
01/11/2011, 04:35 PM
Never say never!!!!!

circmand
01/11/2011, 08:21 PM
Yep, like TR said many have come and done just fine in stock VXs. Scott (Moncha) is a great example. Just pick your trails wisely and follow someone equally equiped so you can see what lines work. Don't follow me and you will be fine (yep, I'm the guy that usually goes the way they say not to!:yesy:). Hope you make it...you definately won't regret it.

You got in such good shape. Walking to the pay phone to call a tow truck?

Triathlete
01/11/2011, 09:22 PM
Nah...I have 3 well used tow straps!:bwgy:
But my VX has always driven off the trail and home under its own power. Haven't broke anything other than dents in skid plates right wwhere they belong!:smack:

BigSwede
01/12/2011, 07:20 AM
"Knobby" tires aren't really needed in Moab, you are driving on sandstone bedrock for the most part. My tires at Moab 2010 were into the wear bars but it was never a handicap. Larger tires for ground clearance are nice but not required.

VXIRONwoMAN
01/12/2011, 08:18 AM
Okay, First off, you live in Denver, so you can actually pull off a long weekend trip. Driving from Chicago, that could never happen with me. Second,The first year I went, I had a bone stock Ironman that I didn't want to ever hit a trail. That year my first trail ever (I had never, ever, ever been off-roading of any sort) was Elephant Hill, 2nd was Hell's Revenge, third was Fins and Things and I know I did more...but those are the three I remember. Almost every obstacle has a bypass and no one is out there to wreck there VX. It is most of our daily driver's and our ride home...

Petos went to Moab in low profile street tires and 20" bling rims! I think you'll be fine.

Even if you just hang out at the stoop and check out the scenery it is worth going. If I were you I wouldn't miss it. When I moved from the West Coast to Chicago I made it a point to stop through Moab. It's that cool!

nfpgasmask
01/12/2011, 09:01 AM
Regardless of wether or not you go on any trails (which as others have stated, you can in a stock VX), you should go. Not only is Moab extremely beautiful and picturesque, which is a good time in itself, you will have an absolute blast being there with all the other VXers and Zus. And, if you plan, you can go on the cheap and camp at The Portal with other Zu freaks so really you would just be paying for gas, food, and nominal camping fees!

DO IT.

Bart

Impi
01/12/2011, 02:39 PM
Moab 2012..................Hmmm you guys have just planted a seed in my mind :bgwo: A damn long way to go without my own suz or VX for that matter, but I have a feeling it would still be worth it.

nfpgasmask
01/12/2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I've been twice, and I would go every year, save for the fact that I only get 2 weeks off a year (but I will be at 3 weeks in 2012) and it always fall the week of my anniversary, making it hard to convince my wife to go every year. Well worth it. And in 2012, it will be the last Moab ZuZu anyhow, so I kinda NEED to go. :)

:) Bart

Ldub
01/12/2011, 04:05 PM
Moab 2012..................Hmmm you guys have just planted a seed in my mind :bgwo: A damn long way to go without my own suz or VX for that matter, but I have a feeling it would still be worth it.

WAY worth it...:yesgray:

Hell, I wouldn't be too surprised to see PK (from Tasmania) there in 2012, if you came from SA, that would make it even MORE international than usual, as we can always count on Kenny & Donna (from Canada eh) to qualify us for the title of "international meet".

Well worth it. And in 2012, it will be the last Moab ZuZu anyhow, so I kinda NEED to go. :)

Sez you...:rolleyesg
I think that if the Mayans really had their poop in a group, they would still be around selling trinkets to tourists...:laughing:

And if it's the zombie apocalypse you're worried about, I plan on bringing the FULL arsenal with me in 2012...just in case...:smilewink

BLACK GUNS RULE!

Triathlete
01/12/2011, 04:30 PM
Impi, I am 100% positive you can find an open seat with your name on it every day...and you can always go to the dark side and rent a jeep or atv from one of the many rental places there.

VX KAT
01/12/2011, 05:06 PM
WAY worth it...:yesgray:

Hell, I wouldn't be too surprised to see PK (from Tasmania) there in 2012, if you came from SA, that would make it even MORE international than usual, as we can always count on Kenny & Donna (from Canada eh) to qualify us for the title of "international meet".
Let's not forget our UK brudders too! I have a hunch one day we'll see CrotchRocket make an appearance in Moab!

I think that if the Mayans really had their poop in a group, they would still be around selling trinkets to tourists...:laughing:

And if it's the zombie apocalypse you're worried about, I plan on bringing the FULL arsenal with me in 2012...just in case...:smilewink....me too....:laugho:

BLACK GUNS RULE!.

pbkid
01/12/2011, 05:28 PM

:naughty:

Ldub
01/12/2011, 05:45 PM
:naughty:

LOL...I VIVIDLY remember the "kids" first Moab...:yes:

Bald tires, a quart or two low, TOTALLY widdit...:thumbup:

And by that, I mean reddy to WHEEL!

MAN, we've ALL got better since then.

Triathlete
01/12/2011, 06:51 PM
Don't forget the highly not recommended body half out the window self spotting!:yesy::bwgy:

vt_maverick
01/13/2011, 08:09 AM
All this discussion makes me wonder if we shouldn't designate 2012 as our first "International VX Meet." Remember last year when we were talking about a first-ever national meet? Maybe if we plan this a year and a half out people could start saving money/vacation to make it happen.

Just a thought.

nfpgasmask
01/13/2011, 09:25 AM

Au contraire, mon frère!! It ain't me sayin' it!! :laughing:. I'm just saying that IF the Mayans ARE right, I NEED to go to Moab 2012, since it COULD be our last. :rotate:

MAN, we've ALL got better since then.

I couldn't agree more. Moab will quickly learn you a lot of 4x4 tips and tricks, as well as confidence off road. Its an awesome proving ground.

mindaugas
01/13/2011, 12:09 PM
Alright, I'll see what I can do at least for a long weekend. Is this about a 5 hour drive and is it the actual Moab utah? Close to there anyway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=moab+utah&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Moab,+Grand,+Utah&gl=us&ll=38.566958,-109.531116&spn=0.078786,0.209255&z=13

MSHardeman
01/13/2011, 12:24 PM
Yep, that's THE Moab. I think you would have a blast out there.

We seem to have picked up a few Colorado VX's recently. I smell a mini-meet coming on.

mindaugas
01/13/2011, 12:55 PM
We seem to have picked up a few Colorado VX's recently. I smell a mini-meet coming on.

Let's do it. We can meet for coffee near the lockheed facility and tell onlookers were testing prototype designs for moon rovers.

Ldub
01/13/2011, 07:53 PM
Don't forget the highly not recommended body half out the window self spotting!:yesy::bwgy:

Go -Go Gadget...:thumbup:

Moncha
01/14/2011, 09:45 AM
It still is, has and always will be a dream of mine to be able to get the VX's from every corner of the earth together.. How, that remains a major ?????

As far as getting your butt to Moab? I still run a STOCK VX save for over-sized tires (Now), If you look in my gallery, there are lots of pics of what a stock VX can do with stock sized tires...

You'll have fun, even if you didn't run trails, you'd have fun. You can't help but to have fun!

pbkid
01/18/2011, 03:44 PM
Bald tires, a quart or two low, TOTALLY widdit...:thumbup:

And by that, I mean reddy to WHEEL!

and thank god for some extra friendly fellow VX'ers who kept their eyes on 'the kid' and kept me in one piece, even when i was drinking salsa for my meals :thumbup:

i guess thats the nice way of saying i have my own 'style'??

Go -Go Gadget...:thumbup:

:dance:

MSHardeman
01/18/2011, 04:33 PM

Somebody HAS to have a picture of this. It really is quite impressive.:thumbup: