PDA

View Full Version : Pot is legal in AK! (well kinda)

AlaskaVX
09/09/2003, 05:37 PM
I can't believe I didn't post this yet! A judge ruled about two weeks ago that you can have up to 4 ounces of marijuana in your home. In Alaska thats a lot of weed (since its premo compared to the states)!. It is still illegal to possess it outside your home, but its a start! Next time the cops try to break up a party at my house I could just sit there and toke a bowl and say "How's it going officer" ;eekg; :D :clap: :clap: :rotate: :thumbup: :yes:

valenki
09/09/2003, 10:31 PM
Lucky you . all they do in MA is add more taxes !

IsuZOOM
09/10/2003, 08:29 AM
4 oz is a lot of pot here too. I wouldn't be caught with a pinch of the stuff, the laws are so strict. Better to fly to AK and enjoy it there, I guess ;)

carlymac
09/10/2003, 09:17 AM
Unless they also changed federal law I would be careful. State law can be more strict than federal law but not more lenient. I would almost guarantee someone will take the local judges ruling to an appellate court for an opinion.:smack:

AlaskaVX
09/10/2003, 10:09 AM
The reason they said this is due to the "Right to Privacy" in the Alaska constitution

WyrreJ
09/10/2003, 07:15 PM
Hey, its all about State's Rights. You'd think Ashcroft would be totally in favor of AK exercising their state's rights like that!

IsuZOOM
09/11/2003, 09:41 AM
Well Republicans have completely forgotten that they're supposed to favor small government... They actually want a huge Big Brother system where everything you do is funneled through their morality meter.

Joe_Black
09/11/2003, 12:18 PM
States rights? Well, last time there was a big stink about "states rights" we were marching due North until Lincoln discovered the "WMD" of the 1800's - slavery. Even though we were on the road to abolishing it ourselves he beat us to it and got the rest of the Northern public behind him and the Union military, not before freeing his own slaves of course. Ever since then the states have pretty much kept in line.

Heraclid
09/11/2003, 02:56 PM
I agree that some who call themselves conservatives are too willing to try to force their ideals down the throats of others. Like a certain judge in Alabama, for example. I don't believe that is part of the mainstream thought in the party however, and the Republicans most certainly have no monopoly on it. Also, Republicans need to learn to play hardball. Going along to get along with the Democrats is a recipe for failure. You cannot be nice to some people - sometimes you just have to defeat them. And IsuZOOM is right - government and government entitlements under the current administration are growing in a very non-Republican way. I'm fine with the Department of Homeland Security and with the $87 billion more for the war on terror, but I have more of an issue with things like the education bill Bush let Ted Kennedy write, the extension of unemployment benefits, the massive farm bill, and the new so-called prescription drugs benefit.

gruven
09/11/2003, 06:15 PM
Well, all I know is AlaskaVX and myself will give Mr. Ashcroft and his morality meter our own special salute and promise to exhale in his general direction...:thumbup:

Alan- I am back in Anchorage/Soldotna on the 18th.... see you soon!!

-gruven:supercool

IsuZOOM
09/12/2003, 08:45 AM
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---18625,00.html

BigMeatVX
09/13/2003, 10:36 PM
Time to move to Alaska!!!! :?:

Too bat it gets so cold in the winter, cause Ive got some land up there somewhere...... :rolleyes:

Then again, mabey other states will follow suite someday soon.
(sounds like a repeat of the prohibition days)

:biggroup:

skullcap
09/14/2003, 06:53 AM
The dichotomy here is that Alaska is generally run and represented by Republicans, and some that have a much less than "green" reputation.

I'd place my money on Canada, and particularly British Columbia and Alberta, as the last refuge for (north) American civil liberties and individual freedoms. I'm not moving there, because we still have plenty of chances to fix things here at home, first. But if you've ever set foot in the Canadian Rockies, you'd understand the temptation to bolt from here.

Of course there's always Holland, if anyone cares to take-up speaking Dutch. It's really not too much unlike English, but pronunciation of the letter "G" requires a sound akin to clearing one's throat.....of all that smoke and tar, I'm sure;Db;

kpaske
09/14/2003, 08:59 AM
Wow, Tommy Chong must have really been dumb to get busted for running a head shop. There are shops all over the country that operate under the guise of "tobacco accessory" shops and the feds can't touch 'em.

What ever happened to "medicinal marijuana" in California anyway? Maybe with Arnold as governor it'll make a comeback.

;Db;

WyrreJ
09/14/2003, 10:19 AM
With Tommy Chong off the streets we can all sleep safer at night. The Tommy Chong Bong(tm) is no longer a threat to the security and safety of the land of the Free.

While Canada is about to federally legalize gay marriage (http://www.gaywired.com/article.cfm?section=9&id=997) (it is already legal at the state level in Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia). The Netherlands has already legalized it. Plus, in Amsterdam at least, you don't even need to speak Dutch, English is probably more common than Dutch. But man, forget the pot, Amsterdam, and the entirety of Europe as well, is one big (tobacco) smoking zone. It's like a third world country.

skullcap
09/14/2003, 01:28 PM
Yep, the Dutch are pretty hip on English.

Smoked tobacco is a big problem in Europe, as is alcoholism. Of course, you don't get a chance at an infinite number of DUI's in most European nations. One strike and your taking the train for the rest of your commuting life.

Road rage isn't tolerated either. Germany actually sets fines according to the type of profanities and hand gestures used.

It may have aq little dust in it, but nobody had better call my VX a schweinerei!:mad: