PDA

View Full Version : Building a Spare Parts Cache

newthings
01/07/2011, 02:54 PM
So, if I wanted to build a stock of spare parts, what would the list look like in terms of priority of most failures and parts hardest to get? I was thinking of about $400/year for new and used parts.

Here is my starting point –

Rear under door cladding
Used ABS brake module
Used TOD module
Used engine controller
Shifter knobs 2
Center console hatch cover
Window regulators – RL
Aluminum door sills – RL
Door speaker cover
Used CD player
Stock muffler
Original stock shocks
Headlights LR
Used rear door weather strip
Intake gaskets 4
Fuel tank sender
Rebuilt front CV and half shafts

Please add your recommendations to the list.
Thanks, Roy

Marlin
01/07/2011, 03:55 PM
So, if I wanted to build a stock of spare parts, what would the list look like in terms of priority of most failures and parts hardest to get? I was thinking of about $400/year for new and used parts.

Here is my starting point –

Rear under door cladding
Used ABS brake module
Used TOD module
Used engine controller
Shifter knobs 2
Center console hatch cover
Window regulators – RL
Aluminum door sills – RL
Door speaker cover
Used CD player
Stock muffler
Original stock shocks
Headlights LR
Used rear door weather strip
Intake gaskets 4
Fuel tank sender
Rebuilt front CV and half shafts

Please add your recommendations to the list.
Thanks, Roy

What is your goal here? If it is to have commonly failed parts, you can get rid of half your list. The stock muffler, doesn't matter, our door sills are plastic and don't fail? Fuel pump can be had at any autoparts store, no reason to stockpile that. As for TOD module, ECM, Headlights/tail lights, sure. Stock shocks, no thanks, why replace it with something that prematurely fails when you can buy better after market, same with the CD player.

As for the shifter knob, whats that all about? Those don't fail, lot less needing two of em. Intake gaskets, easily had at autoparts store.

Hard to find stuff: I would stock cladding, HL and TL, CVs, if an 01, AC compressor, most everything else, especially mechanicals, can be had from any of the later troopers.

Triathlete
01/07/2011, 04:47 PM
Probably be cheaper to pick yourself up a 2nd parts car!:yeso:

newthings
01/07/2011, 05:06 PM
The list is MY starting point, meaning that is what I have accumulated over 10 years.

What is your goal here? If it is to have commonly failed parts, you can get rid of half your list.

The things I have may be of interest to a future buyer wanting original good parts.

Our door sills are plastic and don't fail?

My door sills are aluminum and get roughed up with use.

Fuel pump can be had at any autoparts store, no reason to stockpile that.

I list a fuel sender, not a pump. Mine jumps around sometimes. I bot one and did not put it on yet.

As for the shifter knob, whats that all about? Those don't fail, lot less needing two of em.

My leather covered shift knobs (My VX has two levers and knobs), and console cover get scratched and having nice spares seems advisable to a future owner.

Intake gaskets, easily had at autoparts store.

When I need them, I want them in hand.

Isuzu vehicles are around for now and common parts are available- For now. Some items are just insurance for me.

Thanks for your input.
Roy

Marlin
01/07/2011, 05:31 PM
The list is MY starting point, meaning that is what I have accumulated over 10 years.

What is your goal here? If it is to have commonly failed parts, you can get rid of half your list.

The things I have may be of interest to a future buyer wanting original good parts.

I list a fuel sender, not a pump. Mine jumps around sometimes. I bot one and did not put it on yet.

As for the shifter knob, whats that all about? Those don't fail, lot less needing two of em.

My leather covered shift knobs (My VX has two levers and knobs), and console cover get scratched and having nice spares seems advisable to a future owner.

Isuzu vehicles are around for now and common parts are available- For now. Some items are just insurance for me.

Thanks for your input.
Roy

Ahhhh, your post sounded like a starting point, as in, this is your starting point of things to get. I am curious about your aluminum sills. Definitely not stock. Are they Ebay ones?

My stockpile includes:
-half a dozen CVs, and one complete set with the actual axle shafts as well
-two sets of wheels and tires
-full set of gaskets for everything under the hood
-extra alternator
-AC compressor.
-Misc fasteners.
-fuel pump assembly,
-extra gaskets for both windows
-Bunch of random interior stuff(I trail mine as about as aggressive as we get, except maybe Bigmeat and I have never had any problems with the shift knobs getting torn up? That leather is pretty thick. Of course, my center console lid is in perfect shape too, so maybe I am gentler on the interior than I think)
-extra headlight bulbs, non HID and HID
-air box,just in case I decide to do a snorkel upgrade one day
-tie rods and ends
-steering gear box
-3 sets of manual hubs, 1 superwinch, the other two are aisins
-drive flanges
-fuel rail

I would like to add:
-coil packs
-drive shaft
-starter
-wish I could do a non-tod transfer case
-ECM
-master and booster cylinders
maybe some other little stuff I am not thinking of now.

vt_maverick
01/10/2011, 09:29 AM
Agree on headlights and taillights + body panels and cladding. Pretty much anything visual, since the VX was most definitely unique in that aspect. With the exceptions Marlin's noted everything mechanical should be around for awhile.

I am curious about your aluminum sills. Definitely not stock. Are they Ebay ones?

+1 - The only ones I've seen on eBay are the cheapo chrome stickers that go on the sills. Are you sure someone didn't paint your plastic sills? Or maybe you have one of the uber-rare OEM aluminum door sills that were offered as a JDM accessory?

Probably be cheaper to pick yourself up a 2nd parts car!:yeso:

+1, especially if you're going to try and get all the panels.

Anita
01/10/2011, 09:47 AM
x2 Cladding, tail and headlights, (backhatch window??); Exterior parts absolutely, Roy

circmand
01/10/2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your input.
Roy

Dont ask for other peoples opinion unless you want to hear it. I would have posted the same thing Kat did. There is really no reason to stock parts that are inferior in design or can be replaced off the shelf. While it doesnt hurt to hold onto parts you already have I would limit it to parts unique to the VX.