PDA

View Full Version : EGR, Check engine Light ,LOW FLOW

Axelivan
01/06/2011, 04:27 PM
I need some help here. :confused: I tried almost everything; clean the valve, spray carb cleaner, brake cleaner in the intake. But the light still on with same code Egr Low Flow. Do I better buy another Valve? Mine is from Global Automotive.

Triathlete
01/06/2011, 05:52 PM
Probably a dumb question but did you reset the computer when you were done (disconnect the battery for 20 minutes)?

blacksambo
01/06/2011, 05:54 PM
Good advice.

tom4bren
01/07/2011, 03:54 AM
Gas cap not on tight???

Rumor has it that can throw some strange codes.

Bulldoggie
01/07/2011, 11:18 AM
I replaced my EGR w OEM version. Two weeks later same low flow.
It goes away once in awhile. But a big fat waste of money IMHO.
The computer should be programed to ignore this code as a Check Engine alarm IMHO

Axelivan
01/07/2011, 02:22 PM
I tried disconnecting the battery, not exactly for more than five minutes, but I'm gonna try the 20 mins suggestion. I heard that with the engine running, and with valve disconnected, I can see if it's working or not (the valve open and close while you accelerate in the throttle. Is that true? Thank you all for the advices.:yeso:

CoastieCosta567
01/07/2011, 04:39 PM
My 2 cents on this, I bought OAM EGR valve new, nothing happened. Cleaned it out completely, nothing happened. Did the battery thing, nothing happened. Really there is prob.. nothing you can do but live with the light, and if it flashes, then you really have a problem My only suggestion is to change the solenoid, the one thing i keep forgetting to do, can't remember the name of the solenoid, but may be some 1 here can let you know, or easier, just search it, its out there, i know. But i can be wrong, and i hope you fix it, good luck Mae.

Axelivan
01/08/2011, 01:12 PM
After cleaning mine with carb cleaner several times, it finally gave up the ghost...replaced it with one from auto zone, it threw codes for about two weeks, then quit.

Been good for 3 months since.

Have you tried cleaning the carbon out of your egr tube?

Hi, I tried, or I think I did; I disconnect the valve and spray two cans of brake cleaner on both holes, mostly in the little one that works like an intake. Do you have any "step by step" procedure? Thank for you time for help me.

deermagnet
01/08/2011, 01:26 PM
I can't believe you sprayed that much brake cleaner into your intake! Why? That stuff is way too powerful and can really damage your cats and O2 sensors and who knows what else. Just use carb cleaner.

Until you know what's wrong you're just guessing by replacing the EGR valve. It may be working just fine. It could be other stuff including wires.

You never said what code you were getting. I suppose it's P0401. Go to Walmart and get a code reader so you can read and erase codes yourself.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx4/p0401.gif

Mark

Axelivan
01/08/2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks deermagnet for this valuable information. I don't remember who told to use break cleaner, but did the same. Tried on the EGR valve and did the same as a throttle cleaner, but thank for telling me that I'll be careful. I forgot to say that all this problem begins right after rebuilding the transmission. First the light for Check trans turns on. My mechanic used his computer and erased the code but then the code for the EGR comes up, the same you mention. Got fixed the coolant sensor cable (accelerates way up above 1500rpm's)and the trans begins to work properly(it did not use the overdrive on highway above 55mph). I'm going to follow your tip and buy a code reader, and maybe learn to live with this light on if I can't fix it.:o
Thanks a lot for your interest and help:yesgray:

Gussie2000
01/08/2011, 06:35 PM
Axel as i told you on facebook check the wiring related to the EGR to make sure it's properly working,don't disregard the fact that the wiring can be faulty.

By the way which is the code ?

zadam123
02/02/2011, 02:24 PM
my engine light came on again and its due for an inspection,perfect timming. I used to just unplug the battery for 20 minutes and this would fix the problem for about 200 - 300 miles but now it only last 16 miles befor comming back on.

I have 2 question. I was told that if you reset the light and try to inspect the car it will fail if not driven a certain amount of time. does anyone know how many miles this is?

and there used to be a great write up on cleaning out the egr valve with pictures and a step by step does anyone know where this is?

thanks

zadam123
02/06/2011, 07:27 AM
after a lot of searching i finally found what i was looking for . a detailed step by step to clean the egr

http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm

kirk hilton
02/06/2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the posting. I'll be doing this little job in the next couple of weeks and it's always good to have some pictures and detailed instructions. Dam that EGR valve.

Gussie2000
02/06/2011, 10:28 PM
my engine light came on again and its due for an inspection,perfect timming. I used to just unplug the battery for 20 minutes and this would fix the problem for about 200 - 300 miles but now it only last 16 miles befor comming back on.

I have 2 question. I was told that if you reset the light and try to inspect the car it will fail if not driven a certain amount of time. does anyone know how many miles this is?

and there used to be a great write up on cleaning out the egr valve with pictures and a step by step does anyone know where this is?

thanks

I personally never heard about that.

Since our VX is a all full time 4WD our trucks can not be tested over the dyno,but the inspection is computed-controlled so i guess that situation is possible

kirk hilton
04/11/2011, 01:38 PM
I've had the dreaded EGR 'check engine' problem for a month or more. In all that time the dash 'check engine' light has been lit, even when I've repeatedly cleared it with the scanguage, it would return within minutes of driving anywhere. I never ready got around to cleaning or replacing the EGR valve.

But yesterday I topped up my lead/acid battery and charged it. Since then I've cleared the EGR codes (1404, 404 if I remember correctly) and they haven't returned. So fingers crossed the EGR codes might have been just a low battery problem (i guess with everything considered that value may just be current sensitive).

If anyone has a similar EGR problem try simply charging the battery but remember to top up with demin water first.

Dmitrikr
04/11/2011, 07:07 PM
egr problem.
How I fix mine.
First took off EGR valve set it aside. Start engine and see if any vaccuum at small hole. if engine runs as usial (no rpm change with EGR removed)- there is pipe inside plenum clogged for good.
Shut engine off.
disconnect air intake hose.
get throttle fully open and look inside the plenum (flexlight can be usefull)
will see pipe on the bottom - with tiny hole ( usially sludge on it a LOT)
getting air blower (shop air high pressure) and blow air through that pipe
CAREFULL!! use safety glasses
Lots of debris flying out from egr vac hole on the back-hood reflecting that stuff towards you :bwgy:
put air intake hose back
start the engine - note how engine runs(or not) with egr off.:happyface
turn engine off. put egr back on
clear codes, wash, shampoo engine.
Happy wheeling))

Dmitrikr
04/11/2011, 07:09 PM
egr problem.
How I fix mine.
First took off EGR valve and set it aside. Start engine and see if any vaccuum at small hole. if engine runs as usual (no rpm change with EGR removed)- there is pipe inside plenum clogged for good.
Shut engine off.
disconnect air intake hose.
get throttle fully open and look inside the plenum (flexlight can be usefull)
will see pipe on the bottom - with tiny hole ( usially sludge on it = a LOT)
getting air blower (shop air high pressure) and blow air through that pipe
CAREFULL!! use safety glasses
Lots of debris flying out from egr vac hole on the back -hood reflecting that stuff towards you :bwgy:
put air intake hose back
start the engine - note how engine runs(or not) with egr off.:happyface
turn engine off. put egr back on
clear codes, wash, shampoo engine.
Happy wheeling))