PDA

View Full Version : Carfax Warning!

Travelin2
01/06/2011, 08:15 AM
I recently moved to Florida and haven't got my stuff all set up yet so I decided to take my 03' GMC truck down to the local GM dealer to get the oil changed. I paid the bill and all was well untill I was kinda shopping for a different rig and when the appraisal guy ran their standard Carfax check, low and behold an alert showed odometer tampering. The GM service writer had made a typo while entering info for a simple oil change which showed about 30,000 less miles than is on the vehicle. I went back and complained and a guy said he would straighten it out and call me. Its been two weeks and no call. I think I'll go bug him again. Note to self..."Check your invoice after any work to make sure all the info is correct before you pay". The fellow that turned up the discrepancy said he finds lots of this sort of thing and the worst is the independant shops like those associated with tire stores that also do mechanical work. Be careful out there.

tom4bren
01/06/2011, 08:26 AM
Another place where mileage discrepancies 'magically' appear is when a vehicle is transferred (re-titled) between states. My VX now carries an 'Unknown Mileage' indicator on the title because when the PO moved from CA to MO, they messed up the mileage on the paperwork. The discrepancy was not many miles but it's now permanent.

I didn't lose any sleep over the matter since I plan to keep the VX until all y'all are zombies anyway.

Travelin - always wanted to ask but kept forgetting:

I assume with your axle disconnect on the rear and with your manual hubs on the front, ODO miles don't accumulate when it's being towed. Is that correct or am I thinking with my nether reagions again?

Tom

Travelin2
01/06/2011, 08:46 AM
Thats right Tom, The tranny is in park when towing. Only thing turning is front wheel bearings and rearend to the pinion yoke.

tom4bren
01/06/2011, 09:24 AM
:drool2:

I'm thinking along those lines more & more.

I think I'd keep it in Neutral whilst towing though ... just in case.

vt_maverick
01/06/2011, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately you'll just have to accept that it's on your CarFax record permanently. Even if the dealership corrects the mistake in their system, CarFax is notorious for refusing to fix mistakes in their records.

Sorry dude. :(