PDA

View Full Version : Previous owner check

DogBoneVX
01/05/2011, 03:03 PM
Hi guys!

I'm in the process of buying a 99 VX Astral. I was wondering if the previous owner might have been a member on here. The truck has an exhaust and intake on it so I assume the previous owner was a modder.

Any how, I'm looking forward to getting involved in the VX community and get this thing up in the air.

Any info on vin 1014 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

deermagnet
01/05/2011, 03:08 PM
It looks like it once belonged to VehiGator (http://vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=1258).

Mark

DogBoneVX
01/05/2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.

DogBoneVX
01/05/2011, 03:33 PM
I think I smell something fishy with this VX. In one of VehiGators posts he states the vehicle had 144k miles on it. The VX I'm looking at has 78k miles on it. I PM'd him to confirm the VIN number with his. I hope this thing isn't rolled back all shady like. I was really looking forward to getting it and hooking it up.

Triathlete
01/05/2011, 03:52 PM
Maybe they forgot the 1 at the begining?

DogBoneVX
01/05/2011, 03:58 PM
Maybe they forgot the 1 at the begining?

I wish, unfortunately I saw it with my own eyes. I drove it and it drove really well. I'm going to be bummed out if this thing is shady.

IndianaVX
01/05/2011, 04:24 PM
I think I would talk to attorney general of yor state.....
Hosers shouldn't be selling cars!

MsConduct
01/05/2011, 05:30 PM
Did you ask about a carfax report for the vehicle? If you are getting it from a dealer, they might have it, and it would be easy to see a major rollback. (I'd disregard a minor one... I think there was another VX sold recently where Carfax reported an error of something like 50 miles. Probably more of a typo at the DMV or something.)

If you have to get the report yourself, it's about $30 I think.

MsConduct
01/05/2011, 05:31 PM
But now you've got me thinking... one of the VX's that I've been researching is at a dealership in Idaho. Here is the VIN:

JACCN57X017D00355

Anybody know if this one has been spotted on the site before?

Mile High VX
01/05/2011, 05:38 PM
But now you've got me thinking... one of the VX's that I've been researching is at a dealership in Idaho. Here is the VIN:

JACCN57X017D00355

If it's an Ebony (black) 2000 it was this one:

bigdoc123

City:
Green Bay
State:
WI
US
Year, Color, Model & Last 4 #'s in VIN:
2000 BLK VehiCross 0355

Registered in 2006 but the owner never made any post and was last on the site in 2007.

MsConduct
01/05/2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks! Yep, that sounds like a match. It seems to have made its way to Idaho now.

MsConduct
01/05/2011, 06:02 PM
BTW ... to DogBoneVX... if you drove the car, and you love it, and it seems to be in decent shape, maybe just use the mileage issue to renegotiate the price a bit? To me, once the ODO has turned over once, it's pretty much the same. It's over 10 yrs old, and you know you are going to have issues eventually. So, if it is running great, maybe you can just get it for a discount?

Mile High VX
01/05/2011, 06:08 PM
I think I smell something fishy with this VX. In one of VehiGators posts he states the vehicle had 144k miles on it. The VX I'm looking at has 78k miles on it. I PM'd him to confirm the VIN number with his. I hope this thing isn't rolled back all shady like. I was really looking forward to getting it and hooking it up.

I found a post referencing 114K...still a fishy issue though.

If it was rolled back the odo would show signs of the roll back with deep scratch marks in the odo. Perhaps they changed out the entire gauge cluster. You see them on sale on ebay whenever a VX shows up at a salvage yard. Could have been done prior to the current owner/seller and he/she doesn't know a thing about it...just a thought...:bwgy::bgwo::bgwb::smilewink

VX KAT
01/05/2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks! Yep, that sounds like a match. It seems to have made its way to Idaho now.
I noticed the CL listing for the Ebony in Idaho with #0355 says it's a 2001, not 2000. Maybe need to ask for sure. Visually there's no easy way to tell an '01 from an '00 as they both have 18" chrome rims, and the same HVAC control panel, whereas the '99s have 16" rims and a slightly different HVAC panel.
http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/2139684416.html

Mile High VX
01/05/2011, 06:52 PM
Good catch Kat...also looks like something strange with the hood insert...perhaps painted or even missing and painted/polished the insert area.

Ebenezr
01/05/2011, 06:58 PM
Here is a "purple" one in South Fl. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/2135389837.html

VX KAT
01/05/2011, 07:24 PM
Here is a "purple" one in South Fl. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/2135389837.html

Ya know, If I had all the money in the world I'd be tempted to snap this one up, fix it all up, then pimp it out, oh, no, .....wait, it's already pimped out in purple paint! It'd be one crazy purple ride! :goof:

This has been around for several months now. Originally they claimed it's a "Chip Foose" paint color or job, not sure which.

atilla_the_fun
01/05/2011, 09:42 PM
wait... if this purple one runs and drives, doesn't that suggest that the motor work is the tensioner issue?

vxaddict
01/05/2011, 11:40 PM
I'm sure someone's probably seen this, but just in case, there's a Carfax out there for this VX:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=ONL_0&vin=JACCN57X017D00355

JACCN57X017D00355

Cris
01/06/2011, 03:34 AM
Yo Dogbone Look at it this way, drives nice you likeYou it, buy the thing . It's used you are going to have to put some money into it sometine, so do it right at the begining so you know what you have. I personaly own a 99, bought it new in 99. had to stick some money into it at about 140,000 I am showing almost 200,000.You know the Cadilac commercial where the driver ask Does your car turn you on? Mine has been turning me on for almost 12 years now yours will do tthe same thing . Good luck with your choice.

DogBoneVX
01/06/2011, 05:54 AM
Yo Dogbone Look at it this way, drives nice you likeYou it, buy the thing . It's used you are going to have to put some money into it sometine, so do it right at the begining so you know what you have. I personaly own a 99, bought it new in 99. had to stick some money into it at about 140,000 I am showing almost 200,000.You know the Cadilac commercial where the driver ask Does your car turn you on? Mine has been turning me on for almost 12 years now yours will do tthe same thing . Good luck with your choice.

Thanks Cris. I think I will still buy it. I'm going to confront the seller about the odometer discrepancy. Hopefully I get an honest and upfront answer. So far the owner has been good to deal with. I'm hoping the odometer is reading different because they did a motor swap and they used the odometer from the donor motor or something like that.

BTW: Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the OEM motor and say and Axiom motor or a long block?

Thanks for all of the help guys. I feel like I'm at home already.

If things don't work out with this VX, I'm seriously considering the purple one and slapping a new motor in it.

circmand
01/06/2011, 06:08 AM
I noticed the CL listing for the Ebony in Idaho with #0355 says it's a 2001, not 2000. Maybe need to ask for sure. Visually there's no easy way to tell an '01 from an '00 as they both have 18" chrome rims, and the same HVAC control panel, whereas the '99s have 16" rims and a slightly different HVAC panel.
http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/2139684416.html

The tail lights had vehicle year stamped on them. Also you should be able to tell the year by the vin #

vt_maverick
01/06/2011, 01:15 PM
Best way to tell an '00 from an '01 from pics is to look at the carpet in the rear cargo area (if a pic of that area was provided). '01's have icon labels for the LATCH system, whereas '00's simply have flaps cut in the carpet.

langs19
01/06/2011, 02:46 PM
Hey guys. I guess Dogbone and I have been looking at the same VX for the last few days. I left a deposit on it earlier today and then came home and found this forum to ask a few questions.

I kinda figured the mileage looked to good to be true as it looks a little rougher than 78k. I drove it and it seemed to ride good. The steering had a good bit of play in it where I could turn the wheel a couple inches either way without doing anything. Then it seemed a touch heavy after it engaged. It also had the check light flashing for the TOD with 100% rear. Could just be tire pressure or something? It engaged low gear fine.

What do you guys think? I don't mind spending some time and $ to get it going good, but will this be constant maintenance and problems if it's really up around 150k? The price seems ok. It's at a small car lot and they don't know anything about it and are just programmed to talk their way around any questions, so no real help there. They could have switched the cluster or before they got it. They listed "exempt" on the mileage on the form they gave me because it is over 10 years old they said.

I read some of vehigators posts and I guess he had the tranny rebuilt a few years ago. Any thoughts or opinions? Always wanted one of these since a friend of mine bought one new in 02. Thanks in advance.

RickOKC
01/06/2011, 03:55 PM
An AutoCheck report might show an obvious issue on the mileage. It should show the mileage for each new owner when it was registered and the mileage during safety or emissions inspections if your state requires them each year.

DogBoneVX
01/06/2011, 04:45 PM
Hey guys. I guess Dogbone and I have been looking at the same VX for the last few days. I left a deposit on it earlier today and then came home and found this forum to ask a few questions.

I kinda figured the mileage looked to good to be true as it looks a little rougher than 78k. I drove it and it seemed to ride good. The steering had a good bit of play in it where I could turn the wheel a couple inches either way without doing anything. Then it seemed a touch heavy after it engaged. It also had the check light flashing for the TOD with 100% rear. Could just be tire pressure or something? It engaged low gear fine.

What do you guys think? I don't mind spending some time and $ to get it going good, but will this be constant maintenance and problems if it's really up around 150k? The price seems ok. It's at a small car lot and they don't know anything about it and are just programmed to talk their way around any questions, so no real help there. They could have switched the cluster or before they got it. They listed "exempt" on the mileage on the form they gave me because it is over 10 years old they said.

I read some of vehigators posts and I guess he had the tranny rebuilt a few years ago. Any thoughts or opinions? Always wanted one of these since a friend of mine bought one new in 02. Thanks in advance.

That's funny, since I left a deposit on it too. I put mine down on Tuesday. Shady bastards! I'm going to go get my money back.

AlaskaVX
01/06/2011, 05:08 PM
I know the Vehicross was an impulse buy for about 80% of us (An impulse buy that I have come to love my decision for)

But there are more Vehicross's out there. And this is a shady dealer and a fishy deal you may want to stay away.

If the TOD Check light is on as well, maybe its a fuse (or a mod to the system adding switch to make it 2wd... check computer under passenger seat blue wire with some color stripe) or maybe its something you don't want to inherit, needs a new T-case or something. Maybe the CV's are toast so they pulled the fuse?

I just don't know, I personally would stay away. There are better ones around I'm sure. People here are willing to test drive for you, so don't isolate your search to Fl or anything. Check here often lots of respectable owners have to give up their well maintained VX due to something in life.

MsConduct
01/06/2011, 07:33 PM
Since you guys are in FL, have you checked out the one that Osteomata has listed? Very nice. And, I'm sure there are dozens of members here who can tell you all about its history.

BTW... it sure would be interesting if both of you who have put a deposit on that same VX showed up together at the dealer...

langs19
01/06/2011, 09:09 PM
Lol, it's no doubt these guys are shady. I'm sure they just bought it at auction and are trying to move it. DogboneVX, if you want it then go for it. I'll back off as I'm on the fence. Just let me know. I was going to pull a carfax to try and figure out the accurate mileage and also have my mechanic check it out with me when I went in. I doubt he knows much about this specific vehicle or the TOD issue but I figured he might catch something.

langs19
01/06/2011, 10:15 PM
I pulled the carfax on it and it shows a registration at about 122k miles, then a few months later at 58k miles, the title was then flagged and switched to "not actual milage". Since it has 78k reading now I guess that would put it around 140-150k. The odo was def rolled back or changed about 20k miles ago before this dealer got it. Guess it is what it is. May still be a deal at the right price.

RickOKC
01/07/2011, 05:31 AM
They listed "exempt" on the mileage on the form they gave me because it is over 10 years old they said.
That's the shadiest part. I have no doubt they pulled a CarFax and knew about the rollback which makes that a blatant lie.

DogBoneVX
01/07/2011, 06:01 AM
Lame! I'm going to go get my deposit back today after work. This vehicle just doesn't feel like a good idea to me. My heart tells me yes, my gut tells me no. Too bad, I was really looking forward to getting into the VX community sooner then later.

Let us know how it all goes Lang.

DogBoneVX
01/07/2011, 06:34 AM
It would be funny if you and I showed up there at the same time and confronted that Dildo!

Y33TREKker
01/07/2011, 12:24 PM
It would be funny if you and I showed up there at the same time and confronted that Dildo!
You could always have a little fun with him in the process. Show up at the same time and start a bidding war to get him all excited. Take the bidding up as high as you both wanted, then just stop, state that you are both aware of the shady odometer situation, and walk out.

They can play games. We can play games.

:bwgy:

MsConduct
01/07/2011, 10:11 PM
You could always have a little fun with him in the process. Show up at the same time and start a bidding war to get him all excited. Take the bidding up as high as you both wanted, then just stop, state that you are both aware of the shady odometer situation, and walk out.

They can play games. We can play games.

Oh, please take a camera when you do this!

etlsport
01/08/2011, 01:15 PM
The vin number tells you the year. The 8th number from the end tells you the year. That 1 tells you that it is an 01.. If it was a 99 or 00 there would be a letter there instead. The vin should be ask over the vehicle, inside the door panel, on the firewall, on the dash, on the motor itself, I believe on the rear axle too

Mile High VX
01/08/2011, 08:48 PM
The vin number tells you the year. The 8th number from the end tells you the year. That 1 tells you that it is an 01.. If it was a 99 or 00 there would be a letter there instead. The vin should be ask over the vehicle, inside the door panel, on the firewall, on the dash, on the motor itself, I believe on the rear axle too

And I noticed when I had the grill out putting in my fog/driving lights that the VIN was on the front cladding on the passenger side.