PDA

View Full Version : I did it.......again!

IndianaVX
12/28/2010, 04:21 PM
Went to a tire place to get a tire leak sealed, pull in and the guy ask which tire,and I tell him right front. He starts jacking the truck up and asks "you got wheel locks?"
CRAP...... I forgot it in the garage from working on the head gaskets.
So he let's me down, and I start driving over to the shop to get it, and then a memory from last week starts coming back into focus.
When I took my first test drive, I was driving along, enjoying driving the VX again, when I heard a rock or something hit the cladding, and I saw it bouncing on the road thru my side mirror......

The memory is crystal clear now...... It wasn't a rock, it was my wheel lock!
This is the second time I've done this!
I'm gonna have to paint this new one neon so I will quit forgetting to take it off!

I hope I'm not the only one that's done this....

RickOKC
12/28/2010, 05:23 PM
Yikes, sounds like something I would do!

Riff Raff
12/28/2010, 05:26 PM
I hope I'm not the only one that's done this....

:yes:

IndianaVX
12/28/2010, 06:36 PM

No way!................really?!?

I guess I get in too big of a hurry to get back on the road.

Ldub
12/28/2010, 06:44 PM

No way!................really?!?

I guess I get in too big of a hurry to get back on the road.

Dude, don't worry about it...:smilewink

Everyone in the whole world...except mr perfct, F's up once in a while...:rolleyesg..:laughing:

Happens to the best of us...AND, the rest of us...:yesgray:

tom4bren
12/29/2010, 09:41 AM
I'm gonna have to paint this new one neon so I will quit forgetting to take it off!....

Maybe put a lanyard on it tied to your wrist:)

Y33TREKker
12/29/2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the timely PSA. I changed to the winter shoes today and this served as a good reminder.

VXR
12/30/2010, 01:34 AM
except mr perfct

:drama::thumbdn:

Riff Raff
12/30/2010, 03:20 AM
Thanx VXR. LOL.......I intentially try to ignore "The Grinch" around Christmas time, as he is way too busy sorting through all of the coal-n-switches he got in his Christmas stockings.:dan_ban:

Ascinder
12/30/2010, 07:50 AM
I'd get an old deepwell socket that fit the wheel lock and pemanently attach it (I prefer the hot metal gun). That way it would still be attached to your breaker bar or torque wrench when you get done removing or installing the locks. Additionally you never have to worry about it slipping around in the socket either. It would be so large(with the deepwell) that it would be pretty impossible to not see if it was still attached to a lugnut.

nfpgasmask
12/30/2010, 08:40 AM
I did it once, but it was an accident. I pulled the wrench with the wheel lock off the nut and the wheel lock stuck to it and I didn't realize it. Away she went. Had to order a new one and pay for 2 day shipping, it was right before Moab!

Bart

tom4bren
12/30/2010, 08:42 AM
I'd get an old deepwell socket that fit the wheel lock and pemanently attach it (I prefer the hot metal gun). That way it would still be attached to your breaker bar or torque wrench when you get done removing or installing the locks. Additionally you never have to worry about it slipping around in the socket either. It would be so large(with the deepwell) that it would be pretty impossible to not see if it was still attached to a lugnut.

I like zombie dude's idea better than my lanyard one.:)

Travelin2
12/30/2010, 09:00 AM
I keep my lugnut key in a small Crown Royal bag and stow it in the drivers door. When I take it out to use it, I throw the bag on the seat. My eye always catches a Crown Royal bag.;)

tom4bren
12/30/2010, 09:11 AM
I have no response to that.

Ebenezr
12/30/2010, 09:43 AM
Or...just have no lock. plain jane lugs.

Travelin2
12/30/2010, 10:17 AM
I have no response to that.

You misunderstand...the bag is empty...cmon what kinda guy you think I am. I will admit I made the bag empty but not while involved with the VX. If you ever need to develop an empty Crown Royal bag you will find that your friends will go out of their way to be as helpful as possible.

Ascinder
12/30/2010, 11:19 AM
I did it once, but it was an accident. I pulled the wrench with the wheel lock off the nut and the wheel lock stuck to it and I didn't realize it. Away she went. Had to order a new one and pay for 2 day shipping, it was right before Moab!

I left mine stuck in the lug once too, and put on those wheel caps that cover up the hub and lugs. The lock key fell out of the lugnut and rattled around in there for quite awhile before I realized it was making a clinking noise(loud radio). The inside of the hub/lug area was pretty carved up, but at least I didn't loose the lock key :bwgy:

Here's where I'm talking about BTW:

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy360/ascinder/wheelcenter.jpg?t=1293736830

VCAMILO
12/30/2010, 01:07 PM
I do the same thing that Travelin2 said. Works 100% of the time.