PDA

View Full Version : Ac/heater Power

Lizardmen3477
12/24/2010, 08:12 PM
Ok this is hard to explain and completly random so im hoping someone else has had this problem to help me figure where to start on how to fix it. Sometimes when i got to turn on my heat or a/c it wont kick on and ill just hear a click. When i tap underneath the passenger side area furthest to the right it will kick over. Other times it acts fine. Anyone know what the deal is or what I need to replace? Thanks

IndianaVX
12/24/2010, 08:48 PM
Sounds like the same place I hit to eject a cd!
Can't help you on the heater though.
Have you been in the dash lately, or ever? Maybe something didn't get plugged back in real well?

Triathlete
12/24/2010, 09:06 PM
Blower motor resistor:yesy:
Under $55 through Merlin.

etlsport
12/24/2010, 09:19 PM
If the controls for the ac/heater don't turn on at all (not even lit up) its prob a relay or voltage regulator problem. If its just the fan not turning on.. I'm with billy on the blower resistor

Ldub
12/25/2010, 08:21 AM
Sometimes mine does this too.

It's always come back on when I r&r all the fuses in the L dash fuse panel...:_confused

Lizardmen3477
12/25/2010, 09:58 AM
No no Everything works fine like you all lights and etc you could never tell that it wasnt going to wrk. Just sometimes some motor doesnt kick on to blow the air. No never messed with it either.

yellowgizmo99
12/25/2010, 10:34 AM
had problem like that and thought it was the resistor, so bought one and if I hit the area where the resistor was it would come on, so after I got the resistor I waited for it to happen again and when it did replace the resistor and was no go, turns out it was the blower motor, when I checked it hooked it straight to 12V and since there is less volts coming thru the smaller wire it was not enought to start it all the time or it had a bad spot on motor, I replace motor and all is good so far with first resistor still in.

JHarris1385
12/25/2010, 03:17 PM
Interesting. Mine just now started to not work all the time. Lights up, clicks, but purely sometimes does not blow air. It's random now.

Lizardmen3477
12/25/2010, 06:07 PM
J thats exactly what im going through I ju tdunt wanna waste money on the wrong parts lol

VXR
12/26/2010, 11:04 AM
When i tap underneath the passenger side area furthest to the right it will kick over

Sounds like you are tapping on the blower itself. Mine has been doing this for a few years now. When it stops blowing I just tap it with a flashlight and it starts right up (although it has been working fine for several months now). I got a spare out of a rodeo at pull a part a while back just incase it decides to not work at all.:yesb:

Dmitrikr
12/26/2010, 06:10 PM
it is blower motor itself. brushes (electric contacts in it) there are spring loaded over time - worn out. so to make a good contact you tap the blower motor - springs pushing brushes to full contact - fan starts spinning. as long it's spinning it does not req-ed much of amps.here is how electric motor works (http://www.howstuffworks.com/motor.htm/printable)

JHarris1385
12/26/2010, 09:00 PM
It might be coincidence but this happened right after I had an burning smell come from the cig. lighter after I doubled it out to charge my gps and light at the same time (for the first time).

TEN36VX
01/11/2011, 01:21 PM
Mine just went out too... Maybe it's the season for the '99s.
Just ordered a new resistor; mine doesnt look as bad as samneil2000's, so hopefully I don't have to replace the whole motor.

blacksambo
01/11/2011, 02:01 PM
Resistor. A classic VX failure part.

JHarris1385
01/11/2011, 03:46 PM
Would this kick in after I hit a hard bump? Or is this just a coincidence?

SuperDave
01/11/2011, 06:48 PM
I had the same random problem. The Dealer diagnosed it as a worn out blower motor and ordered a new one that took six months to arrive from China. In the meantime the old blower had begun working consistently so I left the new one in the box. A year later the old blower completely stopped so I had the new one installed. No problem since.

gonzo7231
01/27/2011, 04:01 PM
I am on my second Heat/AC control unit. The lights dont come on, no blower, nothing. Then all of a sudden it lights up and blows very well. I figured it was the head unit so I replaced that and it was all fine for about 3 months. Then the problem returned again. Is it the Automatic Temperature Control gizmo? I have the newer head unit, not the one with the levers.
Thoughts?
Gonzo

Junster
02/13/2011, 09:47 PM
Have a bud with a Amigo same prob. Hooked to battery it ran. To heater control no way. After replacing the heater switch, resistor, New motor fixed it.

Breezy
10/06/2011, 08:04 AM
This is the exact problem I've been having! Ordered a new blower motor that should be here next week. We'll see if it resolves this. I hope so!

johnnyapollo
03/19/2012, 03:40 AM
Currently having this same issue - purchased a new blower motor on Amazon for $46 (free shipping). Decided to also order the resistor as a "just in case"...

-- JOhn

johnnyapollo
03/19/2012, 01:10 PM
Just got off the phone with Merlin - that's one expensive relay at around $160. I'm going to wait until I swap the blower motor to see if that fixes things before buying the relay (which I was going to order in case the motor didn't fix things)...