PDA

View Full Version : a loose EGR tube...?!!!

transVXmen
09/08/2003, 11:16 AM
Sounds like my EGR tube is loose ...my VX started sounding like a diesel engine this morning ..but would quiet down in the freeway... Does anyone have a detailed info on where the EGR tube is and how I can tighten it so the noise goes away???

Dallas4u
09/08/2003, 01:59 PM
I had a post with some detailed pics on this before, but I have taken the pics off my web space provided by my ISP.

The EGR valve is on the top, back part of the engine, on the passenger side. It has a tube running down from under it. The EGR fitting, which tightly holds the tube to the valve, is the culprit. It has been known (by many VX'ers) to come loose and slide a small bit down. It WILL sound like a diesel!!! You need to slide the fitting back up, and screw it back into the bottom of the EGR valve (well, it's actually the mount that the valve is mounted to).

I wishe I had pics... it is pretty easy to find. Now that I have my SC installed, the pics I coudl take would be different than what you would see.

Hotsauce
09/08/2003, 03:45 PM
its on the passenger side, near the firewall, over the fuel rail. You will need a 22mm open end wrench.

It will eventually throw a couple of codes, for lean o2, 2nd sensor, 2nd bank, and may also throw a low MAS reading code. These will trigger a check engine light.

I have a stubby 22mm spanner in the center console now, mine comes loose every month or so. When I get some time I'll drill the nut, and safety wire it on properly.

John C.

transVXmen
09/08/2003, 04:20 PM
Hey This is undeniably the best site !!! You guys are the greatest, man!!!...Who needs these (F****ing) dealer mechanics when we fellow VXer's have this web site....I thank you all!!!...But HotSauce or Dallas , are you guys saying the engine lite will come on when I try to put the EGR fitting back into EGR valve? and if it does how do I turn it back off?

SGT.BATGUANO
09/08/2003, 04:29 PM
They're saying that you may get the codes as a result of the nut becoming loose, NOT when you re-tighten it. Reset codes by disconnecting the battery for a half hour.

transVXmen
09/08/2003, 04:34 PM
Hey thanx, SGT BAT ....you guys are priceless!!!

Green Dragon
09/09/2003, 01:24 PM
Just as a side note, Since it's a pain to tighten, I took some of the metallic tape used for Metal Chimney connections & trimmed it and wrapped both the pipe & fitting. Expect it will never loosen again.;Db;

BigJoe
09/11/2003, 04:54 PM
I just had mine looked at. The mechanic suggested that I put a heater hose clam just below the nut so that it cannot come down.

Zu4two
09/11/2003, 09:19 PM
After I installed my S/C, I had all kinds of problems with the nut on my EGR tube coming loose. It seems it would only stay tight for a couple of weeks, before it started popping again. Then I spent some time realigning the tube to the fitting, making sure it was entering the fitting at exactly 90 degrees. I tightened the nut back up and haven't had any problems with it loosening since. It's been 6-7 months since I've heard that pop-pop-pop sound (knock on wood).

I must admit, I like the hose clamp idea. A little less messy than stove tape.