PDA

View Full Version : 2001 vehicross a/c compressor FIX

pilchercross
12/18/2010, 12:47 PM
I have a 2001 a/c compressor that was making a loud howling sound. But i knew it was just the bearing that i needed but i couldnt find one anywhere. A regular auto parts store didnt sell it, a compressor, or a clutch. I thought i was out of luck last night. I decided to take the compressor clutch off to get the bearing in my hand so could maybe match one to it.

I got the clutch off and bearing in hand. I compared it to a 99 vehicross clutch bearing and they were different. After looking on the internet for all sorts of different compressor bearings and having no luck i wasnt sure what i was going to do.

As a last sticth effort i knew i had an old 98 saturn compressor and an old pontiac montana compressor on my shelf from previous jobs. I decided to start with the Saturn compressor. I took the clutch off and the bearing was exactly the same as the vehicross. I installed it in my vehicross pulley and reinstalled it on the vehicle. It is so nice, so quite again.

Not sure if this helps anybody but you can get a Saturn compressor much easier. They are all over the place at junkyards. PicknPull sells them for like 20 bucks.

Marlin
12/18/2010, 12:54 PM
I have a 2001 a/c compressor that was making a loud howling sound. But i knew it was just the bearing that i needed but i couldnt find one anywhere. A regular auto parts store didnt sell it, a compressor, or a clutch. I thought i was out of luck last night. I decided to take the compressor clutch off to get the bearing in my hand so could maybe match one to it.

I got the clutch off and bearing in hand. I compared it to a 99 vehicross clutch bearing and they were different. After looking on the internet for all sorts of different compressor bearings and having no luck i wasnt sure what i was going to do.

As a last sticth effort i knew i had an old 98 saturn compressor and an old pontiac montana compressor on my shelf from previous jobs. I decided to start with the Saturn compressor. I took the clutch off and the bearing was exactly the same as the vehicross. I installed it in my vehicross pulley and reinstalled it on the vehicle. It is so nice, so quite again.

Not sure if this helps anybody but you can get a Saturn compressor much easier. They are all over the place at junkyards. PicknPull sells them for like 20 bucks.

What model Saturn? I happen to have my 01 compressor in the garage that needs a new bearing. I ended up fitting a 02 trooper compressor in there, also not available at any parts store. Just took a grinder to the front of the counterweight to get it to fit. Been in there almost two years, but it would be nice to repair my old one as a spare...never know when Justin is gonna show up.

AK Falco
12/18/2010, 11:18 PM
that is a great discovery. I have been wanting to fix that squeaking bearing for a long time.

toprider
01/13/2013, 10:06 AM
hi, is it possible to remove clutch and bearing right from vehicle ?? thats what i am trying to do, but those(loan tools) seams like doesnt fit 01 model.
ii got my own bolts to fit clutch plate, but still something holding it... Any suggestions ? thank you
Also what model of Saturn ??

VXorado
01/13/2013, 10:11 AM
Do you happen to have the part # on the 2001 AC compressor? I've been trying to solve the mystery if 99-01 compressors are different.

Marlin
01/13/2013, 01:09 PM
Yes they are completely different. The older style is a GM compatible compressor, 100 bucks at autozone. The 01 is a completely different, and they have different fittings as well. No match up. If you go to isuzuparts.com, you can get the oem part numbers.

VXorado
01/13/2013, 02:49 PM
Yes they are completely different. The older style is a GM compatible compressor, 100 bucks at autozone. The 01 is a completely different, and they have different fittings as well. No match up. If you go to isuzuparts.com, you can get the oem part numbers.

That's the rumor but I bought the $100 autozone compressor and it was completely wrong.

Here's what I've recently found...

Maybe the different A/C compressor on 2001 models is a myth...

A/C Compressor models:
My 1999 VX: DKV-14D
Evil's 2000 VX: DKV-14D
Term's 2001 VX: DKV-14D

Notice a pattern??

Marlin
01/13/2013, 03:48 PM
Not a myth. They are visibly different. The clutch plate on the front of mine kind of looks like a keltic knot is the best way I can describe it. The 99 at the yards I used to pick off of, didn't look anything like it.

VXorado
01/13/2013, 05:13 PM
Not a myth. They are visibly different. The clutch plate on the front of mine kind of looks like a keltic knot is the best way I can describe it. The 99 at the yards I used to pick off of, didn't look anything like it.

:bwgy: I know, we've discussed this before. I'm on a mission to figure this out this conundrum. You're giving me a complex... :laughing:

Don't fret.

Check your A/C part #. My a/c says Zexel DKV-14D which is the same as a 2001 VX -Go figure, I have a 1999.

I quick search found many results. I'll probably go with a refurbished model for around $200.00. Looks like you can buy new for $380-ish

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2001-Passport-Isuzu-Amigo-Rodeo-AC-Compressor-/310384953893?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AIsuzu%7CModel%3AVehiCROSS&vxp=mtr&hash=item4844628a25#ht_3232wt_952

The 2000 and 2001 models are different than the 99 model!!! All the parts stores show that they are the same, they are different!!!!!

I would just start checking junkyards. I don't mess around online, just go and pull it yourself. That way yo ucan practice on someone else's truck, and you might score other goodies. I have stockpiled all that stuff, extra alternator, ac compressor, cvs and so on. Since Isuzu is gone, it will get more and more difficult over the years.

Don't quit, its well worth it!!!!

Starting to think they're all the same. My 99' has the same compressor as alterastro. I confirmed the part # last night. From your post it sounds like it's the same as your 01' compressor.

The autopart stores seem to list the wrong part for all Vehicross' despite year.

so there are 3 different models:
HD6:
http://www.discountcompressor.com/vi...artid=60-00900 &code=NC
DKV14G:
http://www.discountcompressor.com/vi...artid=60-01582 &code=NA
DKV14D:
http://www.discountcompressor.com/vi...artid=60-01421 &code=RC

not sure yet which models go with which years, but i hope this helps

my 2000 is a 14D

Plot thickens. I know that the 99VX sitting in the yards in Charleston does not have the same compressor as my 01. I assumed it was a difference associated with auto climate control.

The GM compressor physically fit in the truck, but the fittings were not even close to the same. One might be able to swap all the lines and make the GM model work, which can be had for 100 bucks or less on Ebay. That might be worth the effort. I tinkered with all this at the beginning of my relationship with my VX. I wasn't as comfortable tearing into that stuff back then. If I was not in the Arabian Gulf right now, I would probably take it apart and hack out the old lines and do the swap....then I could sell my two spares and perhaps pick up a new welder with the cash :)

I'm just trying to figure it out and write a thread wiki to solve future mix ups (and A/C problem threads ;)). The wiki would include part #s and this bearing fix but I can't get past the part numbers.

term117
01/13/2013, 06:30 PM
I have all the part numbers as I just replaced my 01 compressor clutch bearing. I will post them when I get a chance later tonight. I bought the replacement bearing on ebay for 22$ shipped. My VX purrs like a kitten meow.

There is nothing to solve I dont think. To my understanding 09-00 VX are DKV-14D and 01 are DKV-14D OR DKV-14G. Not sure about the HD6 but check your firewall and it will tell you... problem solved.

Marlin
01/13/2013, 06:40 PM
hooray! I need to look at mine so I can get the bearing part number. Then I will have an extra. I remember talking to a junk yard and they asked for the VIN. I had ordered a yard compressor on ebay and they were nice enough to email me to ask. He said the one they had would not fit my truck and refunded me the money. That is when he recommended the one for an 02 trooper. As stated before, it is different, but it will fit.
I was just gonna take my compressor to a local rebuild shop and have em rebuild it. Glad I still have it.