PDA

View Full Version : To paint, or not to paint?

T-Rex
09/08/2003, 08:04 AM
Hi! I'm a new poster so please forgive me if this is a worn out question. My polypropelene sides are peeling slightly and I was wondering if this had been a problem with anyone else?

Navigator
09/08/2003, 08:24 AM
The cladding is unpainted to take the day to day abuse of shopping carts, small sticks & stones, minor brush, road grime, etc... that would otherwise do real damage to a painted surface. Some have opted to "protect" their protective cladding with Linex spray on bed liner. it is a thick poly based product with a rough texture, which is very tough, but not indestructable. A search on LINEX will point you to members who have had experience with the product, it's cost, etc... I've heard nothing but good things about it. Of course once applied you will never be able to remove just one piece without removing it all, but unless you routinly beat the shyt out of your VX that should not be a problem.

AREA 51
09/08/2003, 09:04 AM
Peeling? Is your cladding currently painted? It should be a charcoal grey , matte finish. Sounds like someone previously painted it , but failed to prep the surface properly.

T-Rex
09/08/2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I already am having a problem w/ the paint coming off. I am wondering if I will have to strip the panels completely or if I can patch up the problem?

tiggergreen
09/08/2003, 12:16 PM
I have painted cladding and I would never go back. Yes, I have problems when cars bang into mine, etc. But I would rather pay the money and get the cladding repainted than stick with the stock look.

To answer your question - no, you do not need to strip off the old paint. However, you should sand the entire surface before repainting.

Brent