PDA

View Full Version : VX crash in Erie, PA

vt_maverick
12/15/2010, 09:35 AM
Sorry guys, no gory pics to look at, just thought this was interesting as it states that the driver's VX was stuck in a snowdrift. Wonder if it was driver error or poor vehicle design? I've seen people argue both directions in the past.

Perhaps more importantly, is this person a member of the forum? The article says he sustained major injuries.

Here you go...

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101215/NEWS02/312159971

Ebenezr
12/15/2010, 09:43 AM
:(

Ebenezr
12/15/2010, 09:44 AM
oops I should be more compassionate. He had injuries sorry.

vt_maverick
12/15/2010, 09:54 AM
Looks like it could be Satch (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=3650) or superstang460 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=3830). There are two other members listed but they haven't been active in years. These guys were both on in the last few months (superstang460 just this week).

Triathlete
12/15/2010, 10:18 AM
According to the article the drivers name is Robert Roward. I did a quick search and found no match for his name. When I saw the name my first thought was Rowhard...fortunately he is in Washington.
Hope he has a speedy recovery. Always sad news when someone is seriously injured in an accident even worse when it is this close to the holiday season.

RickOKC
12/15/2010, 11:01 AM
Wow, that's horrible! It kind of makes me wonder if he got caught off guard by black ice and so did the driver who hit him.

I have been hearing too many stories lately about pedestrians getting hit on highways (break downs, running out of gas, flat tires...) It's like cars in the break down lanes become magnetized. Everybody be CAREFUL!

rowhard
12/15/2010, 11:30 AM
When I saw the name my first thought was Rowhard...fortunately he is in Washington.

Yes he does, where it rained heavy for 14 hours straight last week, better chance of getting stuck in a mudslide. Oh well, my workshop is almost dried out, only a few puddles left to get out.

Gussie2000
12/15/2010, 12:57 PM
I hope who ever is he fellow VX'er have a full recovery. :(

I wonder if in the future auto manufacturers will stop building cars with front or rear wheeldrive only

In the north region isn't worth to drive such vehicules,but more importantly drivers shall take road conditions more seriously,i say so because with snow and water together on the road the last thing you shall do is find you self speeding no matter how good you can be behind the wheel.

This guy sustainted MAJOR injuries which makes me believes the mazda driver was going at a considerable speed.

vt_maverick
12/15/2010, 02:36 PM
There's not really a reason to believe the other driver was going that fast since the VX driver was standing outside his vehicle. Even a 5 MPH impact from a 3500 lbs. car is enough to kill someone if (God forbid) he was trapped between the two cars.

Last year was the first time I had traveled to Wisconsin in the dead of winter, and I was stunned at how many people drove front wheel drive cars, even when there was significant snow falling or already on the ground. What I learned after two weeks was that you don't really need 4WD or AWD to get around, provided you're careful and conservative in your driving. They actually scoff at people who think 4WD is a prerequisite to drive in winter weather; the way it was expressed to me was that the only really dangerous conditions are white outs or icy roads, and if that's going on you shouldn't be driving ANYTHING. If anything 4WD gives people the false confidence that they can drive in any conditions.

etlsport
12/15/2010, 04:28 PM
Yikes.. My best wishes to Robert..

VX KAT
12/15/2010, 04:49 PM
Wow, this is horrible to hear. Hope he's going to be OK. Wonder if those monster tires he just put on had any part in him ending up in the snowdrift. That would be absolutely terrible to hear. All fingers are crossed and positive juju going his way for a good recovery!

PittVXr
12/15/2010, 06:59 PM
Wishing a speedy recovery. He mentioned that the firefox was his winter ride.

Grif
12/15/2010, 08:10 PM
Hrrm.. wonder if passing a collection plate for some get well trinkets is in order...?

Hiredgoon
12/16/2010, 12:28 AM
If anything 4WD gives people the false confidence that they can drive in any conditions.

Agreed. When I see something upside down in the ditch 9/10ths of the time it's 4WD or AWD. People forget that stopping an SUV is just as difficult as stopping a RWD vehicle--we're all in curling rocks if it's icy enough, and the extra weight on most of them is just that much tougher to halt.

Gussie2000
12/16/2010, 01:06 AM
There's not really a reason to believe the other driver was going that fast since the VX driver was standing outside his vehicle. Even a 5 MPH impact from a 3500 lbs. car is enough to kill someone if (God forbid) he was trapped between the two cars.

Last year was the first time I had traveled to Wisconsin in the dead of winter, and I was stunned at how many people drove front wheel drive cars, even when there was significant snow falling or already on the ground. What I learned after two weeks was that you don't really need 4WD or AWD to get around, provided you're careful and conservative in your driving. They actually scoff at people who think 4WD is a prerequisite to drive in winter weather; the way it was expressed to me was that the only really dangerous conditions are white outs or icy roads, and if that's going on you shouldn't be driving ANYTHING. If anything 4WD gives people the false confidence that they can drive in any conditions.

I can agree with the fact that much people are over confident when it comes to 4wd or awd,but you can't deny the fact that under that sort of weather conditions awd and 4wd vehicules are much safer to drive.

I also agree that many drivers are concious enough to drive with care front or rear wheel drive vehicules.

If the police reports says that the VX'er sustained mayor injuries i doubt the mazda driver could be going under 20mph,especially for the same fact that the driver must felt confident driving a mazda 6 awd.

Anyways,hope this guy can make it back to his house and be with his family.

What a sad way to spend the holidays :(

vt_maverick
12/16/2010, 10:26 AM
AWD/4WD can be safer to drive in snow if the driver is responsible. Nothing is safe on ice.

samneil2000
12/16/2010, 11:02 AM
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way Mr. Roward.

Mile High VX
12/16/2010, 02:28 PM
Broken shins and a broken leg of the compound variety. Had to create a tourneqet out of his hoodie and call 911. The other car pinned him against his driver side cladding and tire but he managed to free himself and survive.

He said he needs some steering components and suspension parts. Other items to be determined. Can't believe he's worried about the VX at this point...

He had just finished his upgrades...bummer! Running 38s' (he pulled the 40's off due to the rubbing/gearing issues), and a custom lift system.

He should leave the hospital tomorrow and go home and recouperate.

If you would like to call he could use the encouragement, as any of us would, the number 814-877-7007 and ask for Robert Roward's room.

etlsport
12/16/2010, 02:37 PM
thank you for the update! glad to know he is okay enough to go home at least!

Gussie2000
12/16/2010, 09:38 PM
AWD/4WD can be safer to drive in snow if the driver is responsible. Nothing is safe on ice.

Yes,i agree,nothing is safe on ice,but 1 by 1 i'll stick to a 4WD/AWD

samneil2000
12/17/2010, 07:12 AM
thank you for the update! glad to know he is okay enough to go home at least!

x2

ibmx2
12/17/2010, 07:29 AM
Just talk to Robert this morning seems to be in good cheer
But he will need some of us to be parts hunters
Also he should be released from the hospital within a few hours

And will update us when he gets internet access
Are thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery

tom4bren
12/17/2010, 09:28 AM
So this was SuperStang?

Hope all goes well for Ya son. Prayers for a quick recovery for both you & the VX.

Tom

ibmx2
12/17/2010, 09:36 AM
So this was SuperStang?

Hope all goes well for Ya son. Prayers for a quick recovery for both you & the VX.

Tom

Yes

superstang460
12/18/2010, 09:22 AM
Hey guys, Thank you all for contacting me directly and for the concerns and willingness for help! I'm Absolutely amazed that MILE HIGH VX from Colorado and IBMX2 from Chicago found out about me and contacted me before friends in my own home town were aware. Just proves the closeness of us here!!

Well, as you know, I was in a severe motorcycle accident a few years back when I was messing around on my track bike on the street by my house. I had a compound femur fracture, a replacement hip, rod in my femur now, a rib removed, and a spinal injury that led to a fusion of 5 vertebrae. I made my recoveries from that over the years.

Now to this accident, also less than a mile from my home...The northeast has been hammered with snow lately. The roads had normal amounts of managable snow(3-4 inches). There was a clear field up ahead and the snow was drifted in that area on the road taller than the mailboxes. I figured "I'm bad *****, I have 38's" and went right into it. I came to a sudden stop when it was about headlight height on my lifted VX. My VX was positioned with my front passenger side off the road and my rears both on the road. I attempted to free it, but the packed snow was up to the cladding and it did not move.

I put my flashers on and called my tow truck buddy and decided to get out to see if I could dig out while I waited for him. I walked around my VX and to the front pass. tire and heard a horn honk. before I could fully turn around, my body was wedged between a Mazda 6 and my wheel well and tire. She attempted to back up but just spun tire. I could hear the blood trickling down her headlight and saw my tibia and fibia(both shin bones) sticking out. I pulled myself free by grabbing her hood and dislocating my ankles.

The driver was in shock I assume because she went into her vehicle cause "it was cold outside". I crawled into her backseat and elevated my legs, tried to remove my sweatshirt to tie off my legs to reduce bleeding. I called 911 myself after wrapping my legs with my hoodie and pulling it tight with my teeth, looked for the closest address to tell the operator my exact location.

I am now home from the hospital and have 34 stitches in my right leg, 2 pins and a plate in one ankle and 1 pin in the other. I will not be able to put weight on my legs for 3 months.

MY prior spinal injury gave me limited feeling in my legs so I am in great spirits and ready to rebuild myself and my VX again.

Thanks again for contacting me and for the genuine concerns You guys are great!

Bobby Roward

Marlin
12/18/2010, 10:16 AM
Wow, I hope you make a complete recovery. Good luck and god speed.

VX KAT
12/18/2010, 11:06 AM
:freek: Good GAWD man! We're so glad you survived and are home now ready to get better! :thumbup: I'm sure it must be a shockingly horrifying thing for any driver...but come on....call for help, go get some help, go knock on a door, help the victim!! :freek:

superstang460
12/18/2010, 11:28 AM
My thoughts exactly!! Both my ankles were backwards and my shin bone exposed and still army crawed in the snow to get in her car to get warm, tied off my own legs with my own shirt off my back, and called 911 with my own phone in a calm manner after searching for a house address for location. The whole time she was just staring at me like a scared child.

Maybe I held it together because this was the third time in my life I've had bones exposed and my spinal injury has limited my feelings in my lower legs. By all means does this NOT make me feel like I'm Billy Bad ***** but I am aware that keeping cool in trauma keeps heart rate and blood flow down, allowing more time for rescue personnel.

I also had a hard time with the language barrier and had trouble understanding her due to her heavy (African?) accent, so even in this much going on, I acquired her info in writing to submit to authorities.

I do wish I could have received a little more assistance or at least comfort. She seemed upset that her daughter's jacket was back there and I was getting blood on it. I said "I'll buy her a new one for crying out loud, help me out!"

some people just freeze up in a traumatic situation I suppose. I'm alive and will recover over the next few months so I can live with that.

Marlin
12/18/2010, 12:05 PM
I also had a hard time with the language barrier and had trouble understanding her due to her heavy (African?) accent, so even in this much going on, I acquired her info in writing to submit to authorities.

I do wish I could have received a little more assistance or at least comfort. She seemed upset that her daughter's jacket was back there and I was getting blood on it. I said "I'll buy her a new one for crying out loud, help me out!"

some people just freeze up in a traumatic situation I suppose. I'm alive and will recover over the next few months so I can live with that.

I hope she was at least an american citizen, if not, your insurance will be paying for the damages. If she has insurance, I would think you will get enough money out of the deal to get a whole new VX, and you can order that sweet suspension setup from overseas...

What can I say, I am a silver lining kind of guy.

SouthJ1
12/18/2010, 12:08 PM
dang man glad to hear your doing okay a few days ago i was crapping myself looking at your vx hope to hear that its back on the road when you recover

vt_maverick
12/18/2010, 01:49 PM
Ditto on the well wishes, hope you make a speedy recovery! :luck:

JoFotoz
12/18/2010, 03:48 PM
So Cal healing vibes a'ccomin your way...
...good on you for keeping cool.

:_beer:

jo

ZEUS
12/18/2010, 06:14 PM
OUCH!!! Sorry to hear of the pain man. Sending good vibes your way...

Ldub
12/19/2010, 07:43 AM
Ditto on the well wishes, hope you make a speedy recovery! :luck:

So Cal healing vibes a'ccomin your way...
...good on you for keeping cool.

:_beer:

jo

OUCH!!! Sorry to hear of the pain man. Sending good vibes your way...

X2

X2

X2

Very sorry to hear of this...:(

Wishing You & Your VX a speedy recovery...:yes:

VX crazy
12/19/2010, 08:53 AM
Wow, incredible, so glad your doing well, people freakin amaze me, how they can freeze up like that......sheeesh I wont even get started....

samneil2000
12/19/2010, 08:18 PM
You are a MAN!! Way to keep your crap together in such a trying situation. Good luck with the healing process. Let us know if we can help in any way.

MSHardeman
12/20/2010, 08:04 AM
That is an amazing story on many levels. So glad that you are alive and, now, in one piece. Here's hoping that you have a speedy recovery.

Like others have said, please let us know if we can help out in any way.

Triathlete
12/20/2010, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you are well equiped in the bouncing back department and you have a positive attitude. Good luck on a speedy recovery to you and your VX.

gergmon
12/20/2010, 02:49 PM
Wow! That is an amazing story! Glad to hear you are alive! Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

vt_maverick
01/21/2011, 05:58 AM
Hey superstang... I was looking through the Rims & Tires thread this morning and seeing a picture of your VX reminded me of this thread. How's your recovery coming along? I think you said 3 months to walking, but did you get all the stitches, pins, etc. out?

Hope you're doing well buddy! :thumbup:

VXjunky
01/21/2011, 09:37 AM
what an incredible group of people in this community

samneil2000
04/20/2011, 08:23 AM
How's the recovery going? Has anyone heard from him?

ibmx2
04/20/2011, 10:25 AM
i was just thinking of this post last night 2

Mile High VX
04/20/2011, 10:49 AM
Been keeping up with him a bit.

He's walking again after having the pins in his ankle removed a few weeks ago. Said he walks like a toddler...:bgwo::bgwb:

He's hoping to be back to work and driving and such in about another month.

Send him an e-mail and tell him your thinking about him. He'll appreciate it.

Gussie2000
04/20/2011, 02:30 PM
[quote=superstang460;214450]

I can't believe the driver was SO worried about a jacket :mad:

I born in southamerica,never had ice road experience 'till i came to live in the US,i understood i must adquire some experience my self before i can feel confident in driving out there.

Man i so happy you were able to keep your self together,you certainly handle the situation way better then many would did in fact.

Wish you speedy recovery and hope to see you and your VX back on the road :yesgray:

Mile High VX
04/20/2011, 02:57 PM
Forgot to mention that he says the VX is all fixed and ready to roll...as soon as he can get back in...:grino:

Gussie2000
09/13/2012, 12:36 PM
Forgot to mention that he says the VX is all fixed and ready to roll...as soon as he can get back in...:grino:

Good news !!!

Hopefully the driver of the mazda got her license revoked

CowboyErik
09/13/2012, 04:57 PM
Sweet! and the VX is rolling!

tom4bren
01/30/2013, 08:50 AM
Did anyone ever hear how his long term recovery went? He hasn't been on in a loooooong time.