PDA

View Full Version : whats reasonable?

Maverick
12/11/2010, 08:09 AM
hey all,

Ill apologize in advance, this is not a for sale post, but its definitely a whats it worth post. mods should delete it if it is not appropriate , I though it was better to put it up in general as im seeking some advice.

I dont get on here nearly enough, and ive been out of touch. But, ive been struggling a bit lately and just became unemployed. Soo, that being said, it looks like the VX has to go. still crunching numbers, and some really good job options ive put in for, but not enough liquid cash in the mean time.
I just have no idea what my vx is currently worth, this is where im hoping you all can help me.
those of you whove been on here years may remember my ebony vx, which was upgraded a bit with a custom overhead console, tow package, led supplemental running lights, rear back up cam, and bunch of other little things.

As it sits right now, its got 185k+ on the odo, 98% highway miles. I was driving 500 miles plus per week for quite awhile, with only a couple miles of local driving each day. The drivers seat is a bit worn, she needs power steering pump lines, they're leaky. The a/c needs charge, and there is a small rust spot under the luggage rack rail. I just replaced one coil pack about a month ago, and shes gone maybe 5k in the past three years (when i got a Honda insight to commute with) she needs tires. there is a small dent in the hood, and the cowl and wipers need touching up. maybe a few other flaws, but over all, still in nice shape. mobile one every 5k or less since 55k, cant say what happened before that, im the second owner as far as i know.
Id drive it anywhere as it sits, we took it for a day trip, about 400 miles round trip last month and she drove beautifully besides the a/c not being fully charged. there is an abs light on, been that way for four years and resets itself occasionally, CEL comes on occasionally as well, maybe a vac leak, cruise control doesnt always want to work.

So not perfect, just a well used, very functional VX with a few minor issues that I dont have the resources to address. Family comes first though, and im cash short. what do you all think would be a reasonable asking price thats fair to all , considering the current conditions? Im not desperate yet, just trying to think ahead .

thanks again,

circmand
12/11/2010, 09:20 AM
hey all,

Ill apologize in advance, this is not a for sale post, but its definitely a whats it worth post. mods should delete it if it is not appropriate , I though it was better to put it up in general as im seeking some advice.

I dont get on here nearly enough, and ive been out of touch. But, ive been struggling a bit lately and just became unemployed. Soo, that being said, it looks like the VX has to go. still crunching numbers, and some really good job options ive put in for, but not enough liquid cash in the mean time.
I just have no idea what my vx is currently worth, this is where im hoping you all can help me.
those of you whove been on here years may remember my ebony vx, which was upgraded a bit with a custom overhead console, tow package, led supplemental running lights, rear back up cam, and bunch of other little things.

As it sits right now, its got 185k+ on the odo, 98% highway miles. I was driving 500 miles plus per week for quite awhile, with only a couple miles of local driving each day. The drivers seat is a bit worn, she needs power steering pump lines, they're leaky. The a/c needs charge, and there is a small rust spot under the luggage rack rail. I just replaced one coil pack about a month ago, and shes gone maybe 5k in the past three years (when i got a Honda insight to commute with) she needs tires. there is a small dent in the hood, and the cowl and wipers need touching up. maybe a few other flaws, but over all, still in nice shape. mobile one every 5k or less since 55k, cant say what happened before that, im the second owner as far as i know.
Id drive it anywhere as it sits, we took it for a day trip, about 400 miles round trip last month and she drove beautifully besides the a/c not being fully charged. there is an abs light on, been that way for four years and resets itself occasionally, CEL comes on occasionally as well, maybe a vac leak, cruise control doesnt always want to work.

So not perfect, just a well used, very functional VX with a few minor issues that I dont have the resources to address. Family comes first though, and im cash short. what do you all think would be a reasonable asking price thats fair to all , considering the current conditions? Im not desperate yet, just trying to think ahead .

thanks again,

Estimates on averbal description and no photos are worthless. If you want an estimate that matters at all fill out the questionaire done by VXKAT (do a search) and post pics showingt he aforementioned areas. It doesnt sound like this will be worth a lot as you mentionedquite a few problems and some lack of maintainance. I would bet your best option is to part it out.

VX KAT
12/11/2010, 10:52 AM
Since this is a group of enthusiasts we recently put together a very detailed checklist/questionnaire, (what cirmand was referring to) very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average. Maybe supplying some of this info would help you evaluate it's value and sell it. Also, detailed pictures pictures pictures are always desired!!

Many of us have followed recent VX sales $$ for quite some time. IMHO, after reading all your details & mods and with 185k miles, I'd estimate your looking at maybe $4,000 tops...remember that's just my opinion based on what I've seen sell. You do have some advantage because you've owned it so long, and no doubt have service records etc...

COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE /CHECKLIST FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS

~Any service history records?

~How long have you owned it?

~Electric windows work properly or bind?

~Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

~Look behind door panels to see if vapor barrier is present - (may indicate previous work on windows)

~Window regulator /motor been replaced?

~SBC brackets ever installed on windows?

~Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions? (some seem to consume a little when on prolonged highway driving)

~Chrome wheels peeling? (many peeled on the inner side)

~ABS - Any ABS light problems? Make sure ABS light comes on when key is first turned to ON position. If not, could a problem and / or bulb has been removed. Note, many have disconnected ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and truck seems to function fine (just no ABS).

~OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

~Any problems with TOD?

~Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating?

~Brand & model of tires & approx tread remaining-

~Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model, AIR PRESSURE & wear? (TOD system will often make severe clunking noises if all 4 aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms)

~How long have these current 4 tires been on?

~Timing belt changed?

~Original OEM brake pads or replacements?

~Any fluids dripping, ever?

~Last time & what fluids have been changed?

~What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

~Evaluate/describe condition of all cladding - scrapes, holes, deformation, dryness, chalky appearance, any evidence of being "painted" in any way?

~Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

~Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel (often break off)

~Condition of inside door opening handle/levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

~Any unusual /excessive vibrations - very subjective of course

~Any problems with motor mounts?

~Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, potential rust, desert sun (UV), etc)

~Inspect thoroughly for rust!!
Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere?
Is rear gas tank skid plate or tail pipe showing rust?

~Status of front bumper reinforcement bar? (Often rusts off completely)

~Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -will give indication if it was in a rust belt area

~Condition of paint - Describe. (fading, chipping, scratches, repainted areas)

~Condition of hood insert - Describe. (very often cracked)

~Condition of plastic headlight housings - any crazing, fogged, cracked, etc...or been restored/polished, etc....(very often cloudy/fogged)

~Rubber headlight gaskets- present at all?, ripped, condition

~Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids (old or new) of any type?? Evaluate fluid levels.

~Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

~Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

~Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

~Ever been lifted or torsion bars cranked?

~Condition of CV joints? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

~Battery- status, condition and age

~Any unusual flashing of any lights on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

~Any odors inside, such as smoke?

~Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

~Condition of center console padded armrest -(very often cracked and split where driver's elbow has rested on it)

~Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up)

~Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

~Does it have an OEM roof rack?

~Are OEM rail caps in place and/or available?

~Ever taken off road?

~OEM or after-market tail pipe?

~Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

~Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

~Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, etc... may indicate off road use

~Any known repairs?

~Any extra parts on hand?

~Any modifications done previously that have now been removed? Describe.

list last modified: 6/8/10 11:09 am

Maverick
12/11/2010, 12:20 PM
thanks for the advise and reply's. Truck is in far to good to part out, it is essentially the same as the pics in my gallery, just add a small hood ding. No serious off road use either, and before the past 2.5 years was garaged daily. even wear on all the tires, Ive always run Khumos or michellins. it had the left side head replaced at about 87k by the dealer due to a stripped spark plug hole (it was installed cross threaded and eventually blew out, instead of a helicoil, i had them replace the whole head. ) Suspension, 4wd, tranny, diffs all clean and tight, and no under body rust , still looks new besides the few items mentioned above. the original six disc cd change is still installed and even work's most of the time :)
ill take some new pics and get them up , its not mint, but its pretty nice for a truck with high miles and still runs like new.

Maverick
12/13/2010, 01:23 PM
unwashed, but taken yesterday as she sits.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/my2porsche/vehicross/th_DSCF0378.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/my2porsche/vehicross/?action=view&current=DSCF0378.jpg)
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/my2porsche/vehicross/th_DSCF0376.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/my2porsche/vehicross/?action=view&current=DSCF0376.jpg)
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/my2porsche/vehicross/th_DSCF0379.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/my2porsche/vehicross/?action=view&current=DSCF0379.jpg)

full album:
http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/my2porsche/vehicross/