PDA

View Full Version : Diesel VX, Possible?

CoastieCosta567
12/10/2010, 03:18 PM
Has anyone on here done a research on swapping in an Isuzu turbo diesel 5 speed, any other kind of diesel engine? I have been wondering if its not to complicated to do this. If it's an easy task and not to complicated, what would work best and how much do you guys think it will cost to do such an amazing Modification?

Bob Barker
12/10/2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure on if it's possible (anything is possible with a big enough bank account) but for the cost, just the engine, comp and fuel system, then depending on if our trans would mount to it, the labor is up to you. I'd guess a few grand or more if you can find dependable parts used somewhere, and fabricating your own mounts/brackets where necessary.

circmand
12/10/2010, 03:40 PM
Has anyone on here done a research on swapping in an Isuzu turbo diesel 5 speed, any other kind of diesel engine? I have been wondering if its not to complicated to do this. If it's an easy task and not to complicated, what would work best and how much do you guys think it will cost to do such an amazing Modification?

In addition to the motor you need to mounts new tranny new fuel system etc I doubt it can be done for under $10,000. Unless you can do it by yourself and since you had to ask the question my guess is you would need a mechanic

ZEUS
12/10/2010, 04:27 PM
Come on, Coastie, seriously...? You're not even a newb...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16636&highlight=diesel
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12258&highlight=diesel
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7840&highlight=diesel
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2800&highlight=diesel

VXorado
12/10/2010, 04:38 PM
Possible but expensive.

I was looking into getting an H2 SUT for a while (don't ask why) and those should have come with a diesel option because of their massive size and weight. Anyways, despite all of the benefits of swapping a diesel into an H2, few people have because the cost is around $20-30K. It may be cheaper for the VX but would still cost way too much with little benefit.

CoastieCosta567
12/10/2010, 10:23 PM
thanks bro, i was looking for those threads but i couldn't find them, and i knew i saw them before. well i really want a diesel on my lady, hmmmm what to do.

Come on, Coastie, seriously...? You're not even a newb...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16636&highlight=diesel
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12258&highlight=diesel
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7840&highlight=diesel
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2800&highlight=diesel

CoastieCosta567
12/10/2010, 10:34 PM
:confused:So just wondering, is there a diesel VX running wild yet or is it still a mythical beast yet to show proof of existence?

RamAirZ
12/10/2010, 10:58 PM
Swapping one into a VX shouldn't be much different than some Rodeo's/Trooper's I've seen. You could use the 2.8 mechanical injection Isuzu diesel which would make things MUCH easier, I know a guy that can get them imported fairly cheap. Getting the fuel system set-up really isn't that hard especially on a mechanical injection diesel. If you can do the work or have someone to help I bet you could do it for under 5K easy if you know where to look for the parts.

CoastieCosta567
12/11/2010, 06:06 AM
Well here is the thing guys, I have a job offer that requires me to deploy to another country for 5 months at a time,(No guns involved, I think ;) ) well anyways, because of the sacrifice, I get well paid thanks to God. So if i take the job I will do two tours, so ill be back and done this time next year and when done, i will want to do this if its under 10K, so all help would be needed, i will hire a mechanic, so the price is more then if do it my self. So I'm really serious not fluffing anything.

circmand
12/11/2010, 09:22 AM
Well here is the thing guys, I have a job offer that requires me to deploy to another country for 5 months at a time,(No guns involved, I think ;) ) well anyways, because of the sacrifice, I get well paid thanks to God. So if i take the job I will do two tours, so ill be back and done this time next year and when done, i will want to do this if its under 10K, so all help would be needed, i will hire a mechanic, so the price is more then if do it my self. So I'm really serious not fluffing anything.

Is check out mechanics and get estimates from those who seem to know what they are doing and can supply references that they can do it. After all the mechanic will set the price

CoastieCosta567
12/11/2010, 11:36 AM
Is check out mechanics and get estimates from those who seem to know what they are doing and can supply references that they can do it. After all the mechanic will set the price

thank you, i know its 1 year away from now, but gives me plenty of time to find all i need, plus your guys help would be the best, so please all input would be great, good or bad.

PK
12/12/2010, 11:24 PM
Coastie, have a real good think about why you want to do this.
Any diesel engine is going to weigh more than our lightweight V6, and will totally change the balance of the VX.
It will also be less powerful and have less acceleration.
I used to own a 2.8L turbo diesel Isuzu MU.
Good steady old rattler, but no show off when it comes to power.

Ok, it will be cheaper to run, but if cost is the reason for doing it, you would be better off buying a diesel 4wd in the first place.

Yes it can be done, but would you be happy forking out $10k and then finding you didn't like it??

Just my opinion mate - your car, you do what you want.

PK

CoastieCosta567
12/13/2010, 03:00 AM
I understand that it's a lost in power and a downer in acceleration, but my reasons are simple and more humbling then trying to show off. You see, I want better Gas, better and stronger power for offroading. I'm not in for faster acceleration, If that was the case, then i would buy a faster and smaller car for that alone, but I want a reliable SUV, some thing that can get me to point A to point D with out a problem, even if it takes me longer to get there, at least i can get there cheaper and with a better and more reliable engine. I'm not saying the VX is not reliable or by any means has a crapy engine, I just personally think diesel is better. I know this may sound far fetch to some and may make me look crazy, But I believe in the day of tomorrow the world we know will change forever and we will be stuck in a world that we didn't see coming faster then we know it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the vx is not just a bad *** truck/puv that we all vx owners love, its also my get out of trouble and emergency vehicle. I know what you mean about just simply getting a different SUV or truck if i want a diesel, but you and I know that we didn't get our VX's just for simple engine power, it caught our eye because of it's beautiful style and unique engineering, as well as we VX owners are a unique weird bunch that not just the weirdness of the VX alone, but it shows that if you own one the owner gots to be weird as well.Thats why I'm not getting another truck/suv, nothing out there comes close to our VX, so my thought is. Why change vehicle, when you can just combine your amazing VX that nothing out there in the market or us average people can afford comes close with a nice little diesel eating monster. :bgwo: Thats my reason/s :yeso: . I know many here and yourself can somewhat relate to ;).

Coastie, have a real good think about why you want to do this.
Any diesel engine is going to weigh more than our lightweight V6, and will totally change the balance of the VX.
It will also be less powerful and have less acceleration.
I used to own a 2.8L turbo diesel Isuzu MU.
Good steady old rattler, but no show off when it comes to power.

Ok, it will be cheaper to run, but if cost is the reason for doing it, you would be better off buying a diesel 4wd in the first place.

Yes it can be done, but would you be happy forking out $10k and then finding you didn't like it??

Just my opinion mate - your car, you do what you want.

PK

Marlin
12/13/2010, 05:07 AM
Yes it can be done, and yes you can switch to the MUA5 to do it. We just had this talk at URE. Jerry Lemand can get brand new Zu diesels, the MUA5 can be had just about anywhere. Other than that, custom some mounts and away you go!!!

vt_maverick
12/13/2010, 10:11 AM
...at least i can get there cheaper...

I think you need to spend more time thinking that through. Let's say you get 17 MPG now and diesel boosts you to 34 MPG at a cost of $10K. Assuming both gas and diesel cost around $3/gal (a stretch, since diesel is often more expensive than gas), you'll need to drive well over 100K miles on the new engine just to break even. And that's assuming you have the $10K in cash (which you may very well have after your deployments) - if you have to credit-card the replacement cost for several months/years it'll take even longer.

HeckaTrebeka
09/10/2012, 01:08 AM
I think you need to spend more time thinking that through. Let's say you get 17 MPG now and diesel boosts you to 34 MPG at a cost of $10K. Assuming both gas and diesel cost around $3/gal (a stretch, since diesel is often more expensive than gas), you'll need to drive well over 100K miles on the new engine just to break even. And that's assuming you have the $10K in cash (which you may very well have after your deployments) - if you have to credit-card the replacement cost for several months/years it'll take even longer.

Well, maverick, now that gas prices are over $4/gal and are supposed to be going over $5 within a year, feel free to recalculate the mileage cost, if you will... Was the swap ever done? What happened with costa's ideas?

vt_maverick
09/10/2012, 07:20 AM
Around 70K miles at $5/gal or 87K miles at $4/gal. As I implied before you need to be in this swap to help the environment rather than your wallet, unless of course you plan to daily drive your VX for many, many years to come.