PDA

View Full Version : Linex VS paint VS undercoat spray.

valenki
09/06/2003, 06:30 PM
HEy folks. My VX is in perfect shape other than I dontlike the color of the cladding goindg ligter and loosing good looks. I was wondering if you guys can reccomend line-x or undercoat or paint spray? What are your opinions on this ?? any ideas?

line X is 8.5 for every square foot. so any idea how much it will be for the cladding and hood insert? or maybe some other finish is a better idea? let me know please....

I appreciate everyones input. Happy VX driving to everyone

SGT.BATGUANO
09/06/2003, 11:28 PM
What ever you decide, try to avoid undercoating. Most good ones either stay in a semi soft state or will pick up dirt easily. I think that most people who have colored theirs have used Line-X, due to the likelyhood of regular paint chipping and requiring touchups.

Other options? Well, I did see a VW bug that was completely covered in a nice tri-colored indoor-outdoor carpeting............:eek:

zadam123
09/07/2003, 07:25 AM
I line x mine blue, cost me like 500 for everything including hood insert,
2 problems you may incounter

1 will be much cheaper and neater if you take the cladding off and bring it off the car,

2 if you do color and get into an accident the color cant be matched perfect,

If your looking for cheap and no problems, take off the cladding and do it in black, then go out and get some spray paint and prymer and do it what ever color you want. The whole thing may cost you like $200.

adam

Raque Thomas
09/07/2003, 08:50 AM
I was told by a body shop guy that when they mold the plastic like we have on our cars, there is an oil residue that stays behind. According to him, no matter how well you clean it, some of this oil is going to remain and paint will not stick well in a few areas. He says it will begin to chip, and then you will have a real mess. Too bad, cause I would love to paint mine and avoid the constant conditioning. I saw a picture of a yellow one with the cladding painted to match, and it looked great! Anyone have better/different info? BTW, it appeared on that yellow VX (and an Explorer Sport Trac with his cladding painted) that they had somehow made the plastic smooth, rather than the normal rough finish - how'd they do that??

Jonnie
09/07/2003, 09:02 AM
Rubber bumpers are the same way but you seem them painted. They key is using a fixative in the paint, which shops skimp on because its expensive.

Jonathan

TDAWG
09/07/2003, 09:28 AM
Well I'll add my .02. I've seen the Line-X in blue on one of VX brothers here at the Mohegan sun and must say it is tight! I also know the Rickster has his cladding painted Black. I would say that it all comes down to 2 things.
1. Persoanl taste. and 2. if you are gonna paint the cladding PPG had some specs about how to prep your cladding the right way for paint.