PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting raped on milage. any suggestions that might get me a better MPG?

highfall
11/27/2010, 05:59 PM
Any one? Bueller?

don moore
11/27/2010, 06:02 PM
This will sound funny but you'll get great mileage ..Tape a tennis ball under your gas pedal......I did not say you would have performance....but you will get better mileage.

Mile High VX
11/27/2010, 06:17 PM
What are you getting for mileage?

I found that driving like you're carrying eggs is a great start (thanks for the tip Riff). You might also run your tire pressure higher (I'm running 45 psi) and make sure you have a great tune up.

I started out getting about 13 mpg. After about a year of using Lucas fuel treatment, doing a tune up, doing two seafoam treatments, higher tire inflation, and a few oil changes, I'm up to about 16 mpg.

If you're looking for much better than 16 mpg combined city/highway you're going to be disappointed...:(

vt_maverick
11/27/2010, 06:48 PM
Buy a Civic.

vt_maverick
11/27/2010, 06:49 PM
Btw - are we talking about a VX here? Your signature says you don't have one...

Mile High VX
11/27/2010, 07:10 PM

From September 22nd:

New VehiCross Owner

My Name is James and I just bought a 1999 VehiCross in Dallas and my best friend is probably gonna drive it out to LA for me.

I am very excited. My brother in Dallas handled the deal for me and as a result is now a dedicated VehiCross enthusiast. Which makes me even more excited about the VehiCle because he's a car freak.

So another week or so with the Wrangler and then it's VehiCross heaven.

vt_maverick
11/27/2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks Mile High.

highfall - Quick Links menu -> Edit Profile when you get a chance, just makes it easier for us to keep track of all the VX's that have been registered here. (Which amongst other things makes it easier to trace the history of a VX on this site.)

Just "joshin'" with you a bit. :)

Grif
11/27/2010, 07:26 PM

Not having a VX is a great place to start if your concerned about mileage!

"Get out and push" is another idea if you do. Not only does it remove the VX of its most fallible component, it may also improve the performance of that component by reducing the mass of its lard *** to a more manageable size.

Srsly tho, get a tuneup, change all fluids, run stock tires and rims at stock air pressure, remove aftermarket items, (intakes, additional lighting) avoid overuse of the environmental controls (yes heating and cooling your vehicle interior takes energy) avoid accessory abuse including running yer fog/driving/parking lights 100% of the time and don't forget that 1000watt amp you may have pushing your tunes which can sit idle sucking about 10 amps of juice across multiple devices when not even playing.

Some of this is in jest, some of it not. Common sense should distinguish the two.

:bgwo:

VX KAT
11/27/2010, 07:34 PM
MPG is never going to be your friend in a VX...better get used to it, or I guess maybe get a civic like the others said...:p

There's many threads and posts about MPG, many before you have asked, and I'm sure many after you will too. The "search" function will be your best friend on all matters. Luckily, this forum is very active and has numerous knowledgeable owners that have documented and answered a ton of questions here and make it a fantastic resource.
Here's a few I found. Read Read Read.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17357&highlight=gas+mileage

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17870&highlight=gas+mileage
Specifically post #9

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18533&highlight=gas+mileage
Specifically read post #11, Eric gives some good general tips.

Riff Raff
11/27/2010, 07:50 PM
I agree with what has already been said. Personally, I specifically don't use my VX as a DD because of the MPG issue. My VX is only used for pleasure outings, highway cruises, inclement snowy weather or the infrequent trip to the mountains to venture off-road. My DD is a 1980 Ford Fiesta that gets 41+ MPG and I only paid $1K for it.

For the very best possible "highway" MPG in a VX, get a set of lightweight P255/70R18 (32" O.D.) tall & skinny tires with an H/T tread pattern that has a center tread rib and inflate them to the Max PSI Per Tire Sidewall Panel. Drive your VX like you're hauling fragile eggs, lift-off early before coming to a stop, put your transmission lever in Neutral while sitting stagnit at a traffic light, and gently ease onto the gas when pulling away. In addition, try not to disrupt the sleek aerodynamics of the VX with roof racks or exterior-mounted fullsize spare tires. You'll be amazed at the differance in MPG you'll get.

:luck:

vt_maverick
11/27/2010, 07:55 PM
...put your transmission lever in Neutral while sitting stagnit at a traffic light...

Anybody worry that this wears out the shifter/tranny faster due to all the extra shifting? I do this to kill the vibration I get when sitting still in drive, but it worries me that I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul.

joshi
11/27/2010, 08:06 PM
Install a HHO generator (http://www.fuelfromh2o.com/hhogenerators.php), and let us know is workin or not :) Some people says they can get a better milage , some says not...
The people who say this technology have not tried it for themselves and instead do all the math and mumbo jumbo instead of actually building an electrolysis unit to produce HHO gas.

Riff Raff
11/27/2010, 08:16 PM
Anybody worry that this wears out the shifter/tranny faster due to all the extra shifting? I do this to kill the vibration I get when sitting still in drive, but it worries me that I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Nah, the transmission was designed to be shifted. Just watch your RPM's significantly drop when shifted into Nuetral (thus, saving gas) while sitting stagnit at a traffic light. A word of caution-- NEVER press the "detent button" on the transmission lever when going into/out-of Nuetral, and always keep your foot on the brake pedal at all times. Just gently "push/slide" the transmission lever into/out-of Nuetral by not pressing the detent button. This method will prevent you from accidentally shifting into Reverse (very dangerous while sitting at a traffic light) or shifting into a lower gear below Drive. After shifting back into Drive, pause momentarily before taking off. Simple.

:bgwb:

Ldub
11/27/2010, 08:25 PM

I drive mine like a manual shifter around town...including a throttle blip in the false neutrals between gears when downshifting...:naughty:
It's even worse since GT-5 launched...:laughing:

If you're REALLY worried, take it all apart & goober up all the possible wear areas with Mobil 1 grease.

Install a HHO generator (http://www.fuelfromh2o.com/hhogenerators.php), and let us know is workin or not :) Some people says they can get a better milage , some says not...
The people who say this technology have not tried it for themselves and instead do all the math and mumbo jumbo instead of actually building an electrolysis unit to produce HHO gas.

There's been a couple around here that have tried, but for some odd reason, positive results were never posted. (use search for moron that)

I think they were MLM's...:smilewink

(Multi Lingual Males)

Mile High VX
11/27/2010, 08:30 PM
Interesting post from long ago...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6917&highlight=stats+VX+mileage

Luna X
11/28/2010, 07:24 AM
hey, at least be thankfull that you can run "regular" unleaded and don't have to put premium in her to be happy...

shoot, I leave the "power" button on at all times... 'tis more fun that way ;)

Mile High VX
11/28/2010, 11:16 AM
There's been a couple around here that have tried, but for some odd reason, positive results were never posted. (use search for moron that)

That, my friend, is hilarious...:yeso::yesb::yesgray::yesy:

SomeoneElse
04/12/2013, 04:29 PM
Since I live close to work, I'll probably give the VX a basic tune up (new air filter, check/replace all fluids, clean/replace the spark plugs, etc...) and get myself a Motorized bicycle for $500. 49cc doesn't need any special endorsement and rocks close to 180mpg. At least we have lots of nice weather in CO during the summer months. That will be a nice balance to the absolutely hideous MPG I'm getting so far (50 miles and I'm sitting on 3/4 tank) But hey, I didn't buy the VX for its never-ending fuel supply to begin with!

Marlin
04/12/2013, 06:57 PM
With all my crazy add ons and mods, I get 12-14ish around town, 17ish on the highway. I would guess OEM tires, lose the roof rack (that costs me a solid mpg), neutral when at lights (thanks Rif for that one, think how much you have to hold the brake when sitting, all that energy is gone while in neutral) windows down at low speeds, ac at higher speeds, etc...I got 21 mpg on my trip with her when I drove from Columbus, Oh to Charleston, SC. That was bone stock with bad wheel bearings, bad ac compressor bearings, no exhaust.
That is why we have a brand new ford fusion for running around town, my wife's trooper RS does much better on mpg around town, but about the same on the highway.
Good luck with the mpg, those motorized bikes are nice, my parents have some for their RV.

blacksambo
04/12/2013, 09:15 PM

Don't worry about it. The PRNDL was made for shifting...out.

blacksambo
04/12/2013, 09:20 PM
Also, think about replacing your oxygen sensors. Probably the most mileage sensitive component on the car.

SomeoneElse
04/13/2013, 09:26 AM
Also, think about replacing your oxygen sensors. Probably the most mileage sensitive component on the car.

Will do, hadn't thought of that, thanks!

89Vette
04/13/2013, 10:28 AM
The gas guages aren't linear. You probably showed full until about 40 miles were driven. Then, BOOB, drops to 1/4 tank. Just because it shows 50 at 1/4 tank, you'll still probably get somewhat more than 200m tank.

One thing I want to try this summer is increase the (adj) FPR. If I read the service manual correctly, mine (and many others) aren't as high as designed.

Sometimes people think less pressure gets better mpg. I think more pressure MIGHT atomize fuel better. It's worth a try...especially since a select few have reported better results...making me thing 16 city 20hwy isn't impossible.

(I'm at 14.5/17 now)

RodL
04/13/2013, 12:08 PM
My first trip with my NTM (new to me) VX was from Tampa to West Palm. Got about 12 to 13 mpg. First thing I did when I got home was change the Air filter. Still didn't change the mileage much. Getting 12 to 14 in town. Took a trip to Ft. Meyers after getting the A/C repaired and being real easy on all the pedals and got 16. On the trip to Orlando for the "Florida Meet" I got 17. Again easy on the pedals and using the cruise. Still getting 15 on a in town tank. Haven't had any more road trips.

Rod

FlyingV77
04/14/2013, 04:31 AM
I've notest the the cruse is very active and just hits hard (hi revs) and breaks hard. I have stedy foot so I never use cruse.