PDA

View Full Version : Optima Red Top Batteries, who's got em?

nfpgasmask
11/23/2010, 04:30 PM
Hey gang,

Just wondering, who out there is using a Red Top? I bought one just over a year ago for my VX and it is DEAD after I let my VX sit for about 2.5 months while I worked on the tranny.

Now, part of me thinks it is my fault, but last weekend I buttoned up the VX and tried to start her up, and she had NO CRANK at all. The battery was toast. So I jumped the VX, and then took her for a 30 mile ride on the hwy. Got back in the garage, parked, shut off, and immediately tried to start again. NADA. Totally dead. My previous Red Top lasted for like 5-6 years, so I am puzzled. I have heard that the quality of the Optima batteries went downhill, but...

If any of you are using a Red Top, can you tell me the part number on top and what your CC, CCA, and RC numbers are? I just want to compare the type I am using versus what you all have.

Optima's site lists this one for the VX:
Part Number: 25 (9025-160)
RedTop®; Battery; BOXED; Group 25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.

But I am using this one because I use the side posts for my lights:
Part Number: 34/78 (9004-003)
RedTop®; Battery; BOXED; Group 34/78; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; Ampere Hour 50; Dual Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in

The specs are close. The one I am using is only a little stronger. That shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks!!
Bart

Mile High VX
11/23/2010, 04:48 PM
Part 34/78-OR
CA - 980
CCA - 800
RC - 104

Top post

If I don't run the VX every few weeks it will also be dead.

Ldub
11/23/2010, 04:52 PM
Should be replaceable under warranty...:yesgray:

Or at least pro rated.

My first one lasted until about a month after the warranty expired...:upsetgray

My current one is still all good.

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 04:54 PM
FWIW, I've had no such problems with my Diehard Platinum. I park the VX for a few weeks each Christmas while we take the wife's Axiom to Wisconsin, and it's always fired right up. A few days ago I left the interior lights on all day with no slow start or dead battery either. I bought it in April 2008, so it's a little over 2 1/2 years old.

VX KAT
11/23/2010, 04:58 PM
My Redtop is the 34/78 too.
23 months old.
Never gone dead.
Sat for over 2 weeks, no problem.

CA - 1000
CCA - 800
aH - 50
RC - 100

Would a BlueTop be better for you since it's deep cycle and can handle being completely depleted over and over?

VXorado
11/23/2010, 05:05 PM
Red Tops don't recover like conventional batteries when completey discharged, hopefully this info from the optima website will work for ya.
:grino: Good luck

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

If an OPTIMA is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts) most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind an OPTIMA will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+V) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to either battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents) then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.

For normal charging a relatively low current, such as one or two amps can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.

If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2V) by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged the time would be less.

In most cases these steps will recover the AGM battery. It’s okay for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

Marlin
11/23/2010, 05:08 PM
Red Tops don't recover like conventional batteries when completey discharged, hopefully this info from the optima website will work for ya.
:grino: Good luck

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

If an OPTIMA is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts) most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind an OPTIMA will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+V) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to either battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents) then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.

For normal charging a relatively low current, such as one or two amps can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.

If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2V) by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged the time would be less.

In most cases these steps will recover the AGM battery. It’s okay for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

x2, when the alternator died on the wife's RS, I ran the trooper back until the gage on the dash was somewhere less than 10 volts. I had to use an old charger, no problems. I have a red top in both Zus, and a yellow top in the previous F150/expedition/explorer for about 5 years. I had killed that battery several times with no problems.
I would guess you need to do the parallel charge trick, or just exchange it. My VX sat for almost 6 weeks for the tranny swap, and it started right up with no problems. Take it to autozone and they can tell you if the battery is bad...

nfpgasmask
11/23/2010, 06:43 PM
Got it swapped under warranty today, thanks folks. I'm gonna invest in a trickle charger going forward. I don't drive my VX every day any more so I need to keep the battery good. Any suggestions on trickle chargers?

Thanks for the input.

Bart

VX KAT
11/23/2010, 07:00 PM
Got it swapped under warranty today, thanks folks. I'm gonna invest in a trickle charger going forward. I don't drive my VX every day any more so I need to keep the battery good. Any suggestions on trickle chargers?

Thanks for the input.

Bart

CTEK- Optima recommends them, have settings specifically for AGMs.
Don't be cheap.....get the good one. :thumbup:
We have the 7002, keeps our two BlueTops in tip top shape for our RV.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CTEK-7002-12-Volt-Lead-Acid-Battery-Charger-Optima-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b659b5bbQQitemZ17056 3057083QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100#ht_1849wt_969

Marlin
11/24/2010, 05:38 AM
CTEK- Optima recommends them, have settings specifically for AGMs.
Don't be cheap.....get the good one. :thumbup:
We have the 7002, keeps our two BlueTops in tip top shape for our RV.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CTEK-7002-12-Volt-Lead-Acid-Battery-Charger-Optima-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b659b5bbQQitemZ17056 3057083QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100#ht_1849wt_969

I just use a solar tender.. 30 bucks at Northern Tool, no problems.

vt_maverick
11/24/2010, 05:57 AM
I just use a solar tender.. 30 bucks at Northern Tool, no problems.

As long as you park outside. :)

etlsport
11/24/2010, 05:59 AM
I got my charger from sears.. Model 71222 for 45 on sale. Its fully automatic so don't have to check on it ever. Its got a 2 amp trickle charge, a 10 charge and a 50 amp jump start. Also has a setting specifically for agm batteries

BigSwede
11/24/2010, 06:38 AM
I have experienced this with my red top too. That's when I found out that most Optimas that people think are dead can be revived. Search the Interweb and you'll see some methods...

tom4bren
11/24/2010, 06:56 AM
I have experienced this with my red top too. That's when I found out that most Optimas that people think are dead can be revived. Search the Interweb and you'll see some methods...

Crap, that means that I trashed a yellow top last year that prolly could've been revived.

JAMAS
11/24/2010, 06:59 AM
I'm gonna invest in a trickle charger going forward.....
Any suggestions on trickle chargers?

I am assuming you are thinking the same thing, but be sure to get a "FLOAT" charger, not a "TRICKLE" charger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle_charging

oh....and I just bought a redtop about 2 weeks ago... Part Number: 25

I think YELLOW tops are supposed to be able to be deep discharged without affecting the battery....could be wrong though.

I use the Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A for both my Mitsubishi Spyder and my Yamaha R6. Both are winterized every year

tom4bren
11/24/2010, 07:27 AM
I use the Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A for both my Mitsubishi Spyder and my Yamaha R6.

That's what I use on the SeaDoos

JAMAS
11/24/2010, 08:36 AM
That's what I use on the SeaDoos

is it SeaDoos....or SeaDi

VX KAT
11/24/2010, 09:01 AM

Forgot about this, Yeah, we had to do this once, worked great. Optima cust serv gave us the directions.

One BlueTop was damaged in shipment, and was DOA. Optima told us to do this: Hook the CTEK charger to the good BlueTop, then connect the DOA to it. Charged for a few hrs, then once DOA has some charge, hook charger directly to the DOA, charge normally.
When the battery is completely dead, the charger detects it as defective and won't charge it, so you fool it with the 2 battery set up.

The CTEK also has a "reconditioning" mode, use this mode when battery has been dead or old, restores it to as good as it can be. After the DOA was charged, then we put it on the recon cycle. Turns out the damage suffered in shipping caused it to not hold a charge very well, so Amazon sent us a replacement.

Of note, none of the 3 BlueTops ever get warm at all during any charging on the CTEK.

tom4bren
11/24/2010, 09:26 AM
is it SeaDoos....or SeaDi

Duo SeaDoo

BTW the tag on the TLC is "SEADEUX" ... I thought of that one all by myself.

Sorry, TJ over.

Mile High VX
11/24/2010, 09:43 AM
Duo SeaDoo

Yee Haw...:bgwo::bgwb::smilewink:bwgy:

RallyDude
11/25/2010, 11:28 PM
You're correct on the Yellow Top, it is supposed to fully recover from being discharged, whereas a red top is like a conventional battery where it will only recover 80-90% after being fully discharged. So it is similar to a marine battery in that it is designed to recover from many full discharges, yet unlike a marine battery, it still has the power and cold cranking amps for automotive applications. I plan on buying a Yellow Top soon. If you run accessories while the truck is not running, like winching, stereo, or lighting; or even if you ever just forget and leave the dome light on; then it's worth the extra $20 over a red top as it will recover better and therefore last longer.

Personally, I'd either go with a yellow top or save some money and go with a conventional battery. They may allow you to upgrade seeing as you already had problems with a red top.

nfpgasmask
11/26/2010, 08:54 AM
Personally, I'd either go with a yellow top or save some money and go with a conventional battery. They may allow you to upgrade seeing as you already had problems with a red top.

I tried that, but they were very explicit about only replacing the battery for the EXACT same type. I guess that's how Optima's warranty works, which is understandable. Since my VX is not my full time trail rig any more, I'm not too worried about it, it was just an annoyance I didn't want to deal with. I just ordered a nice trickle charger, so I should be good in the future.

Now, if only I could sell the Falcon so my Impulse could rest in the garage with my VX. Such is the life of an auto addict. :rolleyes:

Bart

Dmitrikr
11/27/2010, 03:54 PM
I just got the yellow top too 75 series dual terminals.
Going to put winch behind front cladding so top terminals for truck& charging - side terminals for winch connection

yellowgizmo99
11/27/2010, 05:24 PM
that's my plan also

RallyDude
11/28/2010, 11:41 PM
What model # did you order? Were you able to use the stock VX cables?

I'm guessing a yellow top should last longer. How many times do you think a Red Top or a conventional battery are discharged and charged in the store, when you think you are buying them new? With a Yellow Top, you know the store couldn't damage the battery, and you don't have to worry about running accessories when the engine isn't running (provided someone can give you a jump if you run out of juice). I've got an inverter that warns you when the battery is getting low.

Anyone know of any reason not to buy a Yellow Top over a Red Top for the VX other than price? I'd think Proton owners would definitely want this one! I know Costco carries Optima, but I'm not sure if they have the right one? Any other cheap places to buy them?

RallyDude
11/29/2010, 12:44 AM
There were a couple comments like this from people who have bought batteries from Amazon. BEWARE:

My D51R went bad after a month. Optima says take it back to whom you purchased it from. I said Amazon, they said "oh no." Optima will not honor the 36 Month Warranty and Amazon said I'm stuck because I can't ship it back -it's hazardous material and it's beyond the 30 day return policy. "We are real sorry, but there's nothing we can do." So if you are going to buy a battery from Amazon - you will be stuck - without any remedy. Join the suckers club with me.

JAMAS
11/29/2010, 05:48 AM
How many times do you think a Red Top or a conventional battery are discharged and charged in the store, when you think you are buying them new?

There is a sticker on the battery (put on at the optima factory) that has a month and year. If you get one that is from the same month or right before, you should be fine. Mine was ordered in for me. brand new:)

Anyone know of any reason not to buy a Yellow Top over a Red Top for the VX other than price? I'd think Proton owners would definitely want this one! I know Costco carries Optima, but I'm not sure if they have the right one? Any other cheap places to buy them?

Only Red Tops are listed by Optima to be acceptable for the VX.

I tried that, but they were very explicit about only replacing the battery for the EXACT same type. I guess that's how Optima's warranty works, which is understandable.

VX KAT
11/29/2010, 07:23 AM
There were a couple comments like this from people who have bought batteries from Amazon. BEWARE:

My D51R went bad after a month. Optima says take it back to whom you purchased it from. I said Amazon, they said "oh no." Optima will not honor the 36 Month Warranty and Amazon said I'm stuck because I can't ship it back -it's hazardous material and it's beyond the 30 day return policy. "We are real sorry, but there's nothing we can do." So if you are going to buy a battery from Amazon - you will be stuck - without any remedy. Join the suckers club with me.

I bought a BlueTop for our RV from Amazon with free shipping. It got damaged in shipping because the packaging was insufficient. One corner was cracked and the blue plastic had a white streak in it (you know when you bend plastic). True, Amazon's policy is they will not take them back because they're hazardous. but I contacted Optima, asked if the damage could shorten the life, they confirmed it could. So I contacted Amazon Cust Serv with this info, they gave me full credit AND shipped me another one. 2nd one had proper packaging, everything was OK.

My situation was different I realize, but I can't understand why Optima wouldn't honor the warranty in the example above? Amazon must sell a gazillion of them so this had to come up over and over...:_thinking

etlsport
11/29/2010, 09:54 AM
I have had an optima blue top group 34 In my vx since 06 with no problems. I tested it a few months ago it was still over 1000 cca after being drained at least 30 times

Afaik the yellow and blue tops are identical except for the terminals.. The blue top has extra 1/4" threaded terminals that I use for my audio

newthings
11/29/2010, 04:14 PM
The yellow and blue are the same except for the terminals and are both deep discharge tolerant. The red is described as withstanding 3 or 4 deep discharges and blue as taking 20 to 50 deep discharges. Notice the yellow/blue have less capacity than the red, yet the outside is the same size. This is because more space is allowed between the wraps of lead electrode. Deep discharges and recharges grow lead crystals which stick out from the plates and can cause shorting. More gap means more life, but less surface area.
Roy

Marlin
11/29/2010, 04:46 PM
I bought a BlueTop for our RV from Amazon with free shipping. It got damaged in shipping because the packaging was insufficient. One corner was cracked and the blue plastic had a white streak in it (you know when you bend plastic). True, Amazon's policy is they will not take them back because they're hazardous. but I contacted Optima, asked if the damage could shorten the life, they confirmed it could. So I contacted Amazon Cust Serv with this info, they gave me full credit AND shipped me another one. 2nd one had proper packaging, everything was OK.

My situation was different I realize, but I can't understand why Optima wouldn't honor the warranty in the example above? Amazon must sell a gazillion of them so this had to come up over and over...:_thinking

Did you get to keep the original "damaged" one?
I would guess this is a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.