PDA

View Full Version : Rock Sliders need refinished

Mile High VX
11/23/2010, 01:39 PM
So my Stric 9 sliders are starting to show wear and some rusting.

I primed and painted them last Spring and they looked good for a while but they are starting to show signs of wear again.

If I have them powder coated will this take care of the problem, or should I just hit them with the rattle can again?

They are removable...:bgwb:

Thanks for the help.

tom4bren
11/23/2010, 01:53 PM
It depends if you are just going to tear them up again.

Powder coating does have it's advantages but it is expensive. It looks great and does look good much longer than paint. It isn't bullet proof though. You'll still get scrapes & gouges. The good part is that they won't spread. You'll still have to touch up the scrapes with paint so that area won't rust.

You'll be able to paint them 8-10 times for what it costs to have them powder coated.

SilverBullet75
11/23/2010, 03:54 PM
A cheap upgrade to standard spray paint is Rustoleum Texture (spray) paint. The black texture paint is GREAT. Very strong... well, stronger than standard spray paint, and looks like powder coat, and is "off-road" looking. :)

I get mine from Lowes. Under $8 each.

Ldub
11/23/2010, 04:04 PM
I like plasti-cote truck bed liner, or any other brand of rattle can truck bed liner.

It's a little more scuff resistant than plain ol' paint.

Might be a good idea to prime & paint with a rust prohibitive like por 15 or rust bullet, then a top coat of bed liner...:_confused

Since most of what gets scraped off isn't visible, it could be touched up with a brush or roller...:smilewink
(Most bedliners are available in qt's & half gallons)

SilverBullet75
11/23/2010, 04:21 PM
(Most bedliners are available in qt's & half gallons)

Brush on is much stronger than the spray on. I've used the DupliColor one both ways. The spray on version scratches off easily.

VX KAT
11/23/2010, 04:32 PM
Brush on is much stronger than the spray on. I've used the DupliColor one both ways. The spray on version scratches off easily.
Somewhat along the same lines.....wonder if that's also true for the GatorBack coating....rolling on vs. aerosol spraying on....:_thinking

Ldub
11/23/2010, 04:48 PM
Somewhat along the same lines.....wonder if that's also true for the GatorBack coating....rolling on vs. aerosol spraying on....:_thinking

Not even close...:ot:

LOL...:laughing:

Who :heart:'s ya Suzee...:flower:

VX KAT
11/23/2010, 05:10 PM
Not even close...:ot:

LOL...:laughing:

Who :heart:'s ya Suzee...:flower:

There you go again....crackin' yerzelf up! :p

Ldub
11/23/2010, 05:17 PM
There you go again....crackin' yerzelf up! :p

It'z whut I do...:yesgray:

Mile High VX
11/24/2010, 07:37 AM
Got a quote today for $80 per side plus the cost of media blasting them clean...ouch that buy lots of rattle cans!

Guess it's sand, prime, and spray again for me...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

I do think that I'll try some of the hammer finish products and see how that looks.

Thanks for the help.

Bob Barker
11/24/2010, 08:05 AM
Why not get the Rhino-lined? They can't be that expensive from the size.

Marlin
11/24/2010, 11:16 AM
I would agree with the rattle can option. Even powder coat gets scratched up on the rocks, then you wasted 80 bucks and you are back to touching up with rattle can again!!
I just found there is a guy here that does powder coat on the side. Its a company that does big commercial jobs, and he will do your items crazy cheap. The only catch is he can't guarantee color. Its whatever current order is being processed. He said 75% of the time its black,but if you want something other, you might have to wait a while, or pay extra. Guy got a 200 gallon aquarium frame/stand blasted and coated for 65 bucks. Good deal. I might take control arms in to him, cross members, and any other small stuff that is easy to remove/install. I wonder how long I would have to wait for pink....LOL.

vt_maverick
11/24/2010, 11:41 AM
Yellow body + gray trim + "wet look" Herculiner + red under carriage pieces, now + pink cross members, etc.? :confused: You're crazier than your VX looks. ;) :p

Marlin
11/24/2010, 12:35 PM
Yellow body + gray trim + "wet look" Herculiner + red under carriage pieces, now + pink cross members, etc.? :confused: You're crazier than your VX looks. ;) :p

Herculiner doesnt look so wet anymore, I havent put the top coat on yet. I was kidding bout the pink:)