PDA

View Full Version : Engine confusion... .

tjh
11/22/2010, 05:59 PM
I would like to rid my VX of the oil-burner that is located under it's hood.

Would I be gaining anything buy getting an 04 Axiom block ? Would I need a short block or a long block .

Should I look into rebuilding the current oil-burner ? This Idea does not appeal to me .

Junkyard motor does not strike me as a solution.

I read that a motor with the update pistons can still develop an appetite for oil, is this true?

I have many more question ,but I would like to start with these .

blacksambo
11/22/2010, 08:01 PM
I'm not completely sold on the engine being designed poorly. I own two '99's and they do a quart every 2000 miles/each. Is that bad, and I'm running Mobil1? I believe the culprit is the PVC valve and oil filler gasket. By keeping these items under control and at spec the oil use problem is subdued. Give it a whirl and see what happens. Much cheaper than what you are talking about.

Mile High VX
11/23/2010, 05:49 AM
What does your oil usage look like? I don't use hardly any in my '01 and most of the members that completed the poll on oil usage used 1/2 quart or less in 1000 miles.

Since you have an '01 it would be strange if you used oil like some of the '99s do. Just trying to figure out where you are and what you want to gain by such an expensive and time consuming effort.

circmand
11/23/2010, 07:20 AM
I use no oil the first 2000 miles after I change the oil and PVC. I then use a quart in the last 1000 miles before the next oil change. Has it occured to anyone that Isuzus recomended oil change duration of 15,000 miles (from memory I may be wrong but it was huge) was a bit scary

atilla_the_fun
11/23/2010, 07:31 AM
I use no oil the first 2000 miles after I change the oil and PVC. I then use a quart in the last 1000 miles before the next oil change. Has it occured to anyone that Isuzus recomended oil change duration of 15,000 miles (from memory I may be wrong but it was huge) was a bit scary

If you buy a new or remanufactured engine, does it come with 5 free quarts of oil already inside it?

MSHardeman
11/23/2010, 07:48 AM
Travis, let me know what you find out if you decide to try some of the less expensive methods. My little girl goes through 3/4 of a quart of oil between fill-ups (about 330-350 miles). YES that's excessive, but that's what she's always done. It would be nice to cure her thirst (at least a little).

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 08:10 AM
I can tell you from experience that an '04 Axiom engine will not solve your problem. We have an '04 Axiom and it burns oil at least twice as fast as my VX. I usually buy 6-7 quarters per change just to have extra lying around for the inevitable top-offs. And that's with changing the oil every 3500 miles.

phines
11/23/2010, 12:37 PM
I have my rebuilt engine installed now. So far, so good... I'll let you know what the oil consumption is after a few hundred miles. I got it from a company only does import engines. They claim to meet better-than-OEM specs, but we'll see.

tjh
11/23/2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not completely sold on the engine being designed poorly. I own two '99's and they do a quart every 2000 miles/each. Is that bad, and I'm running Mobil1? I believe the culprit is the PVC valve and oil filler gasket. By keeping these items under control and at spec the oil use problem is subdued. Give it a whirl and see what happens. Much cheaper than what you are talking about.

My other car shows no signs of oil burn @ 5000 miles between changes , it is also a 2001 ,but a Toyota . 110,000 + miles on the Odometer.

I removed the PCV some time ago , no change in consumption . air-filter in its place.

What does your oil usage look like? Just trying to figure out where you are and what you want to gain by such an expensive and time consuming effort.

It depends some times undetectable between fueling up and then it can range from 1/8 of a quart up to 1/2 quart . some times a wee bit more than half.

What I stand to gain is, hopefully a hassle free reliable motor, at least for a few years .

Travis, let me know what you find out if you decide to try some of the less expensive methods.

PCV removal no change . Well actually I no longer get a little puff of blue smoke when I punch the accelerator.

I can tell you from experience that an '04 Axiom engine will not solve your problem. We have an '04 Axiom and it burns oil at least twice as fast as my VX. I usually buy 6-7 quarters per change just to have extra lying around for the inevitable top-offs. And that's with changing the oil every 3500 miles.

I was afraid of this .

I have my rebuilt engine installed now. So far, so good... I'll let you know what the oil consumption is after a few hundred miles. I got it from a company only does import engines. They claim to meet better-than-OEM specs, but we'll see.

Please !Please! let me know.

nfpgasmask
11/23/2010, 04:10 PM

Sorry man, I disagree. I have been DILLIGENTLY (some say to the point of insanity) changing my oil every 3000 miles. I've been doing that since day one of ownership. Along with using Mobile-1 oil, and Mobile-1 oil filters exclusively, I have been changing the PCV valve every or every other time I change my oil. I have used about 4 different brands of PCV valve and NOTHING has changed with my oil burning. I burn about a quart, sometimes a little more, every 3000 miles. I've done numerous Sea Foam treatments as well, with NO CHANGE AT ALL to my oil consumption.

Bart

nfpgasmask
11/23/2010, 04:17 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You wanna hear my theory? I think it could be switching to synthetic oil that might cause it. Just a theory though. :rolleyes:

Bart

blacksambo
11/23/2010, 04:30 PM
I use PCV 1061 from purolator, completely different design to the OEM type. It has a a heavy weight inside. Also, the oil filler gasket is a critical link in the chain. You need a positive seal there or the PCV won't work right. Try it you'll like it. Besides, it costs practically nothing.

Ldub
11/23/2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry man, I disagree. I have been DILLIGENTLY (some say to the point of insanity) changing my oil every 3000 miles. I've been doing that since day one of ownership. Along with using Mobile-1 oil, and Mobile-1 oil filters exclusively, I have been changing the PCV valve every or every other time I change my oil. I have used about 4 different brands of PCV valve and NOTHING has changed with my oil burning. I burn about a quart, sometimes a little more, every 3000 miles. I've done numerous Sea Foam treatments as well, with NO CHANGE AT ALL to my oil consumption.

Bart

I'm kinda in the same floating thingy as Bart...even after deleting my pcv valve completely, & straight shooting crankcase gases, fumes, vapors, & what have you, into a catch can that's then vented into my air box, I still use about 1 qt+ every 2k.

The thing that amazes me is this, even though I put baffling ( stainless chore boy dish scrubbies) inside the catch can & the vents inside the airbox are uphill from both the catch can & the valve covers, there is still NEVER any accumulation in the catch can, just a bit of residual residue (like that one?) inside the air box...:_thinking

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 05:39 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You wanna hear my theory? I think it could be switching to synthetic oil that might cause it. Just a theory though. :rolleyes:

Bart

Lol... But now don't complain when those people show up to argue with you. :p

Ldub
11/23/2010, 05:40 PM
Lol... But now don't complain when those people show up to argue with you. :p

Cue up the rr...:rolleyesg Oh wait, he'd agree.

I just switched hunny girlz van to Mobil 1 last spring, no change in oil consumption or anything else, just a lot less valve train noise.

Gussie2000
11/23/2010, 05:54 PM
I'm kinda in the same floating thingy as Bart...even after deleting my pcv valve completely, & straight shooting crankcase gases, fumes, vapors, & what have you, into a catch can that's then vented into my air box, I still use about 1 qt+ every 2k.

The thing that amazes me is this, even though I put baffling ( stainless chore boy dish scrubbies) inside the catch can & the vents inside the airbox are uphill from both the catch can & the valve covers, there is still NEVER any accumulation in the catch can, just a bit of residual residue (like that one?) inside the air box...:_thinking

I am on the same situation as yours larry,i got rid of the PCV and also got rid of the hose coming from the other valva cover,yet still have same oil burn
I guess that's what is all about we can do and must live with it. :(

tjh
11/23/2010, 05:59 PM
:badhorse:

Ldub
11/23/2010, 06:03 PM
:badhorse:

Next time ask a question with a definitive answer?

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 06:07 PM
Next time ask a question with a definitive answer?

Sounds like circular logic to me. :p

Ldub
11/23/2010, 06:12 PM
Sounds like circular logic to me. :p

More like pretzel...:yesgray:

I just figgered...only page two & already the horse croaked...:confused:

tjh
11/23/2010, 06:22 PM
Is their an Isuzu V6 that I can put in the VX that will not burn oil ?

nfpgasmask
11/23/2010, 06:38 PM
Funny how this thread went funny and now it is really funny. :p

OK, just pulled my log book. Here are all the PCVs I have used, with NO CHANGE in oil consumption.

Deutsch PCV 193
Purolator PV1061
FRAM FV384
Luber-Finer PCV-1193

None of those made a lick of difference.

:rolleyes: Bart

nfpgasmask
11/23/2010, 06:39 PM
Is their an Isuzu V6 that I can put in the VX that will not burn oil ?

Short answer? I'd say no. I wonder though, if there is a GM V6 that would fit. Probably, but the issue is all the electronics, the ECU, the TOD, etc. Its a big hairy mess, imo.

Bart

atilla_the_fun
11/23/2010, 09:31 PM
I guess the only true solution is an oil accumulator. Install that and never have to worry about the oil-burning, besides adding a quart at your own convenience. Look up oil accumulators, they save your *** if you lose all your oil... seems like the perfect remedy for our oil hungry beasts. Not too expensive either.

Paul_A
11/24/2010, 01:15 AM
Hi,
New here from the U.K!
Picking my first Vcross up this weekend!
First thing that's being done is an LPG conversion.
Apparently running on LPG (which is way cheaper and will give the equivalent of 30 or so mpg) helps a lot with oil consumption.
The engine runs a little cooler, and as its a gas it doesn't "wash" the oil off the bore walls.
Let you know how it goes!

Marlin
11/24/2010, 05:26 AM
Short answer? I'd say no. I wonder though, if there is a GM V6 that would fit. Probably, but the issue is all the electronics, the ECU, the TOD, etc. Its a big hairy mess, imo.

Bart

How come TOD always comes up when we talk about swaps? Who cares about that useless system. Scrap the TOD, then all you have to figure out is the BCM/ECU stuff.

tjh
11/24/2010, 04:24 PM
How come TOD always comes up when we talk about swaps? Who cares about that useless system. Scrap the TOD, then all you have to figure out is the BCM/ECU stuff.

What are some motor options that could be bolted up to the 4L30e ? That would offer the same if not more Hp and torque @ a low RPM .(and not consume oil )

What transfer case could be used to replace the TOD one?

This is mostly for entertainment, but hey maybe !

Marlin
11/24/2010, 05:26 PM
Well, all the Zus use the 4l30E and their transfer case. Get a regular old Zu transfer case, and if you are feeling ducky, go to the MUA5 vice the 4l30E. As for the engine, the 4L30E is used in dozens of models across the board. BMW, Chevy, Honda...fabbing the mounts would be the hard part.

Mile High VX
11/24/2010, 05:29 PM
Of the options I've seen talked about I like the Oldsmobile Aurora V8 option. It's a 4.0L DOHC engine...sweet!

Has great reliability, more HP and 260 ft/lbs Torque. You have to be careful if your keep the tranny as it's only rated to accept about 260 ft/lbs of Torque.

Ldub
11/24/2010, 05:36 PM
As for the engine, the 4L30E is used in dozens of models across the board.

Ummmmm...:_thinking

Are we into the T-day wine...:confused:...:laughing:

Marlin
11/24/2010, 06:24 PM
Ummmmm...:_thinking

Are we into the T-day wine...:confused:...:laughing:

Oops, as for our tranny, the 4l30e.....I am actually having eggnog :)

Ldub
11/24/2010, 06:25 PM
Funny how this thread went funny and now it is really funny. :p

OK, just pulled my log

None of those made a lick of difference.

:rolleyes: Bart

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/01_RIFLEMAN_WOOD.gif

Ok...first off I want to apologize to everyone who's ever inhabited the earth, then to Bart in particular...:yesgray:

But I tried...I REALLY tried...I just couldn't sit on my hands any more...:(

Triathlete
11/24/2010, 06:46 PM
Of the options I've seen talked about I like the Oldsmobile Aurora V8 option. It's a 4.0L DOHC engine...sweet!

Has great reliability, more HP and 260 ft/lbs Torque. You have to be careful if your keep the tranny as it's only rated to accept about 260 ft/lbs of Torque.

If you are going to fab a fit...I am kinda lik'n that new Mustang V6. Size would drop in nicely and 300+ HP.:yesy:

tjh
11/24/2010, 07:02 PM
Ldud = Awesome !

Grif
11/24/2010, 07:38 PM
So many ways to go with this hijack... the mind boggles....

NEXT!

Gussie2000
05/25/2011, 06:22 AM
Has anyone seriously researched the aurora V8 engine to figured out if is suitable for the VX.

If not i can ask my mech to get more info and how difficult a swap can be

Mile High VX
05/25/2011, 07:26 AM
Has anyone seriously researched the aurora V8 engine to figured out if is suitable for the VX.

If not i can ask my mech to get more info and how difficult a swap can be

Maybe some info here:

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/AuroraSwap.html

Gussie2000
05/25/2011, 07:59 AM
Maybe some info here:

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/AuroraSwap.html

Interested info mile high.

I'll print this and take it to my mech and see what he have to say.

I also have to gather info on rebuilding my engine with better aftermarket parts that can help get rid of the oil burn issue.

Junster
05/25/2011, 05:16 PM
Ya gotta love that Ford v6, 315hp 31 mpg. but getting all those electrics to work in a Isuzu wouldn't be much fun at all.