PDA

View Full Version : 'Help a VX Noob' Foundation

Lightproof
09/06/2003, 10:28 AM
Hello All,

I'm thinking about buying a VX... I've been lurking here for a while, reading through the threads, building up my 'knowledge base'.

What a great bunch of people!!

Anyway, I'm a little concerned about quality. With all the posts about binding windows, water leaks, banging transmissions, crappy dealers, etc. - I'm wondering what I might be getting myself in to. I would drive this car every day, and take it off-road occasionally.

So, if you had it to do over again, would you buy? Should I buy (in your opinion)?

Thanks, Rick

the-barman
09/06/2003, 10:57 AM
I have a 99 Ironman. It has 101,000 miles on it now. The only complaint I have it that it uses a bit of oil. 1.5 - 2 Qt / 3000 miles. The dealer looked it over multiple times and stated that the consumption was within spec. Never have had a problem with it, other then a squeeky hood (thanks to whoever recommended raising the little rubber things...that fixed it) and the headlight seal problem (fixed with a little silicone stuff). I drive it everyday...alot. I hope it lasts a couple more hundred thousand miles. :p

Anita
09/06/2003, 11:32 AM
My answer would be "absolutely, yes." There is nothing like a VX on the road. But I would make sure of a few things:

1) Make sure you have reputable dealer/service department or independent repair shop within an acceptable driving distance. IMHO, this is MOST important when considering buying a VX.

2) Since only used VX's are around now, a complete diagnostic look-over of the VX is essential. If you do find an VX for sale, if possible enlist the help of VX owners on this forum who live in the area to take a look at it with you. I dont think there is anyone who could boast knowing more about a VX than those who own a VX and follow this forum.

Best wishes with your decision!

;Dr;

Navigator
09/06/2003, 11:33 AM
The windows bind for the same reason an engine will eventually sieze...LACK OF LUBRICATION. As for the weather striping around the headlights, be prepared to glue it. Truthfully, the issues mentioned are of a service nature, NOT defects :D

I have never owned a vehicle that was perfect, but with the minor serviceable issues of the VX it is sure close :D Remember the VX is not for everybody, it has a very stiff sports car ride, and if you have kids/back seat passengers older/bigger than 10 year olds consider it a 2 seater. Emphasis on SPORT off roadster of sorts :D

paultvx
09/06/2003, 12:55 PM
Actually when I fixed my window (per instructions posted here) I watched the window go up and down a few times with the door panel off. The cause of the bind is due to incorrect placement of the lift point. It needs to be moved directly under the center of mass of the glass. It isn't. If I remember correctly, it is aft of the center so when the window moves up, the glass pivots (dives forward and down) as it travels upward... the further it goes the more resistance it meets from the rubber seals. Spreading the window track slightly with a pair of channel lock pliers solved the problem. Less friction between the glass and seal. The glass still pivot but the amount of resistance is less so no binding. My drivers side window actually moves a little quicker than my passenger side now (didn't need fixing)... just a little. Before, the passenger side would be completely up while the driver side is less than 1/4 way up.

I've had mine for a year now. My dealer, the only one in Portland now, is OK. I find that as long as I don't go in for reasons other than general maintenace, things go very smoothly. Anything beyond that, I try to take care of myself... and the info archived here is very helpful for that.

Other problems fellow members have mentioned above are all common problems... basically resulting from lack of research and attention to detail in the production engineering phase... which is to be expected on any limited production vehicle. All are minor problems and most of them can fixed on your own within a few minutes. The window fix took 20 minutes at the most. I haven't had any water leaks yet, knock on wood, but I think that is more common among the '99 and some '00.

One other thing people have had problems with is the hood inserts developing hairline cracks. While they have met some varying degrees of resistance from the dealer, I think most of them eventually got the dealer to replace it under warranty. The consensus on the cause is overtightening of the mounting fasteners. Something to keep in mind and to relay to the dealer if you ever find yourself at the dealer for this issue.

Good luck with your search. www.autotrader.com and ebay motors are good places to look.

Joe_Black
09/06/2003, 03:22 PM
As you can see the VX is all-in-all a great vehicle. As mentioned previously, some quirks are to be a expected from a limited production vehicle that's hand-built. I've owned four Isuzu vehicles since the mid-'80's, three of which have been Troopers, and have put well over 150,000 miles on each with little trouble if any at all. The VX comes from that same lineage and is essentially constructed of proven off-the-shelf components. I've had mine since new in November and the only problem experienced is the number 3 CD slot won't accept a disc. Big whoop, it's the same changer in all Isuzu products and has nothing to do with the quality of the VX.

Just be sure to shop around, get a FULL CarFax report and use due diligence and common sense as you would with any vehicle purchase. Other than that I don't think you'll find a better support group than the folks here!

SGT.BATGUANO
09/06/2003, 04:27 PM
I'd have to say that I would buy it again. Price / performance ratio is good compared to what else is out there. A unique , limited availability, underdog. Ignore any visual comparisons to RAV-4's or Santa Fe's . This is a full- framed TRUCK. I haven't had any major problems and the minor ones have been resolved to my satisfaction, by the dealer. Several members here do have problems with service on their VX's . So do have it inspected by a local member if possible. Try to locate a competent dealer or other service facility near you due to the fact that many dealer service personel are as unfamiliar with this limited production model as is the general public.

One major thing to note: The rear vision is difficult. If you've ever driven a panel -van or other truck where you use the side view mirrors to back-up, it won't be a problem. Otherwise convex mirrors, van-eyes or rear camera setups can help.

colmhd
09/06/2003, 05:27 PM
Buy Buy Buy
This is the best motor I've ever had, and tops the DISCOVERY and the RANGEROVER AND THE MITSUBISHI,all of which ,although stating the best 4x4 by far etc, never quite lived up to their expectations.
With the Rover and the Discovery it was the maintenance or lack of it on behalf of the dealers.
Put aside small things like the window and you are looking at a reliable manouverable and agile machine,not an urban attack vechile.
Join the VX family

tiggergreen
09/06/2003, 05:43 PM
Do not buy a VX!!! We do not want anyone else in on our little secret... If everyone wants one of these amazing vehicles, the price will go up and I will have a hard time buying a second and third VX for myself ;O)

By the way, I now have over 58K miles on the speedo and this vehicle has never been to a dealership. I have done all the preventative maintenance at other auto service shops. I had a little problem with the window binding, but after using the silicone spray, I haven't had a problem since. I also broke an internal plastic piece on the driver side door. But I just ordered the part and installed it myself. I love Isuzu vehicles - I have owned one since 1988.

Brent

Lightproof
09/07/2003, 02:14 PM
I said it once and I'll say it again - what a great bunch of folks!

I know you're all biased, but THANKS for all of your feedback - you've helped me address my concerns. I think I can handle the small issues that may arise - and go forward with my desire for something unique.

I'll be replacing my WRX, which used to be unique. But now they're a dime-a-dozen (at least here in the northwest). I wish I could afford both!

I'm now on the hunt for a black 2001 - I've got a couple on the line...

BTW, what really sent me over the edge on a VX were the pictures of of Daver's and Wormgod's black beauties... Here's one:

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Ebony/vx02.JPG

SWEET!

Swordy
09/08/2003, 12:31 AM
Heck yes I'd do it again!!!
Andy

geshaw30
09/08/2003, 04:21 AM
Local "Auto Trader" mag has one (black) for $18K with 10.5K miles
________
Vaporizer Wholesaler (http://vaporizerwholesaler.com)

paultvx
09/08/2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Swordy
Heck yes I'd do it again!!!
Andy

Wonder if Isuzu is listening... too bad if they're not.

Anita
09/08/2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by geshaw30
Local "Auto Trader" mag has one (black) for $18K with 10.5K miles

Only 10.5K miles??

Yikes, check that one out!!!!! ;Dr;

:luck:

Lightproof
09/10/2003, 11:27 AM
Only 10.5K miles??
How does .9K miles sound!?! ;eekb;

Dallas4u
09/10/2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by VX?
How does .9K miles sound!?! ;eekb;

For how much? I can't believe there would still be ANY around with less than 1k miles... much less 10k miles. If the price is right, it could be a good deal. The one with 10.5k miles for $18k is DEFINITELY a good deal.

Lightproof
09/10/2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
The one with 10.5k miles for $18k is DEFINITELY a good deal
I called on that one (10.5K miles in Houston) and talked to the guy. He said the vehicle was his wife's and kids. I came away from the converstation thinking 'no thanks' - it just didn't feel right to me - considering that I can't see the car.

The one I'm buying (.9K miles) is in Florida. Can't see that one either (other than one exterior photo), but I have a high level of confidence that the car is in PERFECT shape. With those miles, it's like buying a new car, which I happily will pay a premium for. The final cost of the car was more than $18K, but less than $20K. :) It's going to cost a grand to ship it... :(

Some may not agree, but I think that's a pretty darn good price for a new, semi-luxury, off-road capable SUV! And, I won't have to look at everyone else driving the same car!

Anyone want a WRX to go with their VX?

WyrreJ
09/10/2003, 07:04 PM
Speaking from experience trying to buy a car remotely (in Florida in fact) - you should see if you can find some local volunteers here to go take a look at it for you. Dealers, and even regular people, are all quite capable of "forgetting" about certain problems with a car.

Furthermore, make the seller demonstrate proof of ownership, best if you can actually talk to the prior owner and confirm transfer from him to the dealer. I've learned the hard way that a dealer can sell you a stolen car and as long as they had good reason to believe that the car was not stolen (and "good reason" ain't much at least in Florida), you will be left holding the bag. Or rather the bill, while the FBI returns the car to the rightful owner. Once you take delivery of the car, its history is all your responsibility and none of the dealer's. You can sue, but you can sue for anything in the US anyway and man is that a hassle compared to the 30 minutes or so upfront that it takes to track down the prior owner and verify that he really sold it to the dealer.

In my case I even went so far as to contact the prior owner, but I did not verify that he had sold it to the dealer that was selling it. In fact, the car had been stolen from him via a forged cashier's check and when I talked to him, he had not yet discovered the forgery (his bank took a whole month before letting him know there was a problem) meanwhile the thief had resold it to the dealer using forged documents and in Florida at least, the dealer had zero responsbility to register the car with any government agency before selling it.

geshaw30
09/11/2003, 12:34 PM
Theres gonna be a group of us in Houston on the 20th. I'm sure it wouldn't a problem to go check the $18k one out for you if you (or anyone) has an interest in it.
It would be kinda fun...the seller will freak when he sees a line of VX's heading to his casa!!
________
Motorcycle Tires (http://www.motorcycle-tech.com/tires/motorcycle-tires)

Lightproof
09/11/2003, 02:33 PM
What's the BEST cupholder solution?

Pictures would be great too...

Anita
09/11/2003, 03:00 PM
I remember someone saying something about a cupholder from Pep Boys.

To save the center console from spills and potential problems, there is nothing like the tried and true "between the legs" holder. Not for the faint of heart...

;Dr; :smack:

FeatherFoot
09/11/2003, 03:50 PM
The last time I used the ol' tween the legs holder I tested my roasticles and had to drink soda pop for a while.

I guess the second seat could be equiped to hold most anything.

In Texas the second seat is for the 'party of the second part' to "hold my beer and watch this".

JK