PDA

View Full Version : Finally Weapon-R Secret Weapon intake installed.

Grif
11/20/2010, 04:26 PM
After some frustration, finally got it installed.

Just FYI, if DrAutomotive on ebay says they have a said model that fits the VX, they dont. And they are not too willing to make it work either. They wanted pics and measurements and measurements with pics ect... all to get me an RMA for the intake setup which would not fit because EVERYTHING was too small.

I eventually called Weapon-R directly and spoke with thier lead tech Chris W. who was very, very helpful. He took a look at my pics and I told him my measurements and he said "Stop the RMA, we are going to make this work." So he express mailed me parts he felt would fit better, and gave me some install tips. He sent them at their cost, and a return postage paid box for parts that wont fit, told me to install it, let him know of any probs, and ship back what didnt work, all at their expense.

He was incredibly helpful, had no attitude at all and seemed legitimately curious why the intake that is in thier catalog does not in fact fit.

I installed it today with a bit of force and elbow grease and the tips from Chris really helped.

Worst part was trying to remove the damn Air Intake Temp sensor, (is that SUPPOSED to come out?) So I broke the damn thing in half.. hehe.

On startup, the CEL light came on, so I pulled the code with my droid and sure enuff, P0113 intake temp sensor. Went to Autozone, found a sensor that fit ($12), installed it right there in the parking lot, cleared the codes with the droid and its been happy ever since.

I love the sound of the intake, the Kaiser really likes to breathe like that and the butt dyno is pleased as well. It looks pretty mean too! Pics when I clean off my engine... lol its a mess in there.

Lessons learned:
1)ebay parts dealers who drop ship, really dont give a crap, at least "drautomotive" doesn't.

2) Always talk to the manufacturer. Sure they didnt know the product they were selling wasn't really compatible but they bent over backward to find out why and get me a product that does at no further expense to me.

3) Don't let forum posts discourage you from making things work. Before this, the Morgan-tec intake was the only intake I KNEW worked, and when I posted that I had bought the Weapon-R I caught flak about it.

An argument could be made that WR used me as remote R&D, but in the end, we all won. If you are interested in a Weapon-R "Secret Weapon" intake, I would avoid ebay and call Chris W. at W-R and have him ship you what we now know really works.

I love happy endings.

Hide
11/20/2010, 05:28 PM
Any pics?

Grif
11/20/2010, 05:33 PM
Any pics?

Like I said in the OP, when I clean out my engine bay, pics will be posted.

lasturbo
11/20/2010, 05:45 PM
How do you pull codes with your Droid? (Droid X, Droid Incredible??)

Grif
11/20/2010, 06:03 PM
How do you pull codes with your Droid? (Droid X, Droid Incredible??)

I have a Droid Incredible and interface with a OBDII reader via Bluetooth using a droid app called "Torque". It really works great. No probs at all.

So its http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/droid-incredible-review/ plus this http://uniquefindz.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-bmw-idrive-adapter-for-ipod-iphone?utm_source=google-product-search plus this http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/communication/torque_flre.html

Does real-time readings and even can upload all data to a webserver for graphical display via any web browser. Amazing, I know. Its inexpensive too, as long as you have a droid. Its a poor mans (or smart mans?) scangaugeII, but with better interface and more features.

Mile High VX
11/20/2010, 06:11 PM
That is awesome and you can get the USB tool for $50!

Grif
11/20/2010, 06:18 PM
That is awesome and you can get the USB tool for $50!

I paid $35 for the Bluetooth OBDII reader. Ebay.

Mile High VX
11/20/2010, 06:21 PM
I paid $35 for the Bluetooth OBDII reader. Ebay.

That's a great deal, but I don't have a phone that will work but I have several laptops that will...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Grif
11/20/2010, 06:23 PM
Yarp!! There ya go!

But srsly, its the cost of the software that makes it all economical. The Bluetooth OBDII reader shipped with demo software for laptops that run from 40-100 bux plus for the full versions. With a droid phone (which you should really have already for a myriad of reasons) the Torque software is a mere pittance ($5) to bring it all together.

Marlin
11/20/2010, 06:24 PM
Injen also made a perfect fit intake...zero problems. I do not recall having any problems getting the intake sensor out though...glad it all worked out for you.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/IMGP0954.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1460.JPG

Grif
11/20/2010, 06:34 PM
Injen also made a perfect fit intake...zero problems. I do not recall having any problems getting the intake sensor out though...glad it all worked out for you.

Yes I do recall that Injen setup from your pics. Very nice! I stand corrected. Are they still in production?

Lizardmen3477
11/20/2010, 09:50 PM
Is buyin an expensive intake rerally worth it how much would you gain over say a moderate non name brand one? Just a aftermarker ttube and cone?

Marlin
11/21/2010, 05:06 AM
Is buyin an expensive intake rerally worth it how much would you gain over say a moderate non name brand one? Just a aftermarker ttube and cone?

I would say your gains are zero either way. The only thing it does it make your engine louder:) If you look at our factory intake, its suction is inside the driver's wheel well, already pulling in cold air. As a matter of fact, the after market ones may reduce your performance since they take suction inside the engine bay!! If you were to drop a K&N factory replacement filter into the factory airbox, you would probably get the same effects, just not as loud. Only reason I got the Injen, it was on Ebay, no one else really had one...and it adds some bling under the hood. I already had a factory K&N drop in, so if it made a performance difference, other than sounding cool, I haven't noticed.

pbkid
11/21/2010, 08:44 AM
I have a Droid Incredible and interface with a OBDII reader via Bluetooth using a droid app called "Torque". It really works great. No probs at all.

thats f*#cking cool grif! im getting me one for x-mas for sure!

If you look at our factory intake, its suction is inside the driver's wheel well, already pulling in cold air. As a matter of fact, the after market ones may reduce your performance since they take suction inside the engine bay!!

unless you get creative like mr. dubski (ldub) and make your own 'cold air' system

Mile High VX
11/21/2010, 01:55 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens to you gas mileage...after you get over the need to hear that sweet new sound...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

I lost about 4 mpg in my V6 Accord when I put a K&N kit on it. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and touching the positive and negative CABLES to remove any residual charge. I reconnected everything and started it...making sure not to touch the gas pedal...and letting it run on it's own for 15 minutes.

It helped some but still not getting the 28 mpg's that I did before the install.

Grif
11/21/2010, 07:36 PM
If you look at our factory intake, its suction is inside the driver's wheel well, already pulling in cold air.

I agree, the location of the stock airbox is very very good. Half the reason I bought an aftermarket setup was indeed for the sound of it. Plus the less restrictive filter and whatever voodoo magic that WR insists is proprietary and patented for thier "secret weapon" intake. However my kit also came with a "ram air" tube which allows you to take your air from a wide variety of locations. I'm currently evaluating where to pick up my air from, and if i cant find a better place, then the stock location is still an option. I'm very open to suggestions in this regard! The previous thread indicated a possible "snorkle" setup... I'd entertain thoughts on that too.

Here is a link to that part of the kit. http://www.weapon-r.com/products/1830-universal-sw-intake-ram-air-kit-ii

Mile High VX
11/21/2010, 07:46 PM
Is there some type of part on that site...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

I'd figure out a way to snake that down to the oval area on the front cladding and then mod some type of reducer to make that portion of the cladding a "pick up" point for your air induction much like some of the other manufacturers offer a collector that mounts behind the headlights a makes that a collection point.

Grif
11/21/2010, 08:01 PM
Is there some type of part on that site...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

I'd figure out a way to snake that down to the oval area on the front cladding and then mod some type of reducer to make that portion of the cladding a "pick up" point for your air induction much like some of the other manufacturers offer a collector that mounts behind the headlights a makes that a collection point.

Was that first part a question? If so, then I do not understand what you mean. <edit> Oh I get it... lol takes a while, but it sinks in.... rofl

Nice idea about the oval area. However I hesitate to "reduce" anything as that will impede airflow.

Mile High VX
11/21/2010, 08:10 PM
You only want to reduce the oval shape to something the same circumference as the flexible tubing...something like the rectangular pick up from a vacuum that connects to the hose...same principle of changing from one shape to another but without losing any of the flow.

Grif
11/21/2010, 08:18 PM
You only want to reduce the oval shape to something the same circumference as the flexible tubing...something like the rectangular pick up from a vacuum that connects to the hose...same principle of changing from one shape to another but without losing any of the flow.

Correct, but that isn't a reduction, its simply changing the shape of the air pickup while maintaining the surface area of its cross-section. I do not know if that is possible using that oval hole, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

WormGod
11/22/2010, 07:00 AM
I re-installed my short ram Friday for the hell of it and must say, I now remember why I had gone back to my airbox. Full throttle w/ the S/C, it sounds like a jet helicopter, in a not so "cool" way. I will be going back to the airbox this coming weekend, heh.

vt_maverick
11/22/2010, 11:42 AM

So its http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/droid-incredible-review/ plus this http://uniquefindz.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-bmw-idrive-adapter-for-ipod-iphone?utm_source=google-product-search plus this http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/communication/torque_flre.html

Does real-time readings and even can upload all data to a webserver for graphical display via any web browser. Amazing, I know. Its inexpensive too, as long as you have a droid. Its a poor mans (or smart mans?) scangaugeII, but with better interface and more features.

Bit of a jack here, but does anyone know of a converter cable/box/thing that would allow you to direct connect your OBDII port to aux video input of an aftermarket head unit? I saw something like that installed on a G35 once, basically the guy ran a cable from the OBDII port behind the dash and into the aux port, then was able to see torque/HP/engine codes/etc. in real-time graphical displays. Pretty freakin' cool, but I can't find anything like that online.