PDA

View Full Version : Blockheater help needed

ben-man
11/19/2010, 10:00 AM
Hi all,
Checked the online manual and did a quick thread search but I can't find any info on blockheaters for the VX.
I have a '99 that I just bought this spring from someone in West Virginia. Never thought to check for a block heater when I bought it, of course, it probably never needed it before. Now temps are going down to -10 at night up here in Canada and it would be nice to have something to keep my baby warm at night.
Anyone ever install a block heater in their VX?
I can't seem to find any definitive info on where the frost plug is on these things. The instructions that came with it said right front of the block, but the guy at NAPA, where I bought the heater from, said he checked their online database and it says left rear???
Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.
Ben

tom4bren
11/19/2010, 10:10 AM
Ben,

If you can't find what you're looking for, can't you use a dipstick heater instead. I'm not real familiar with them but it's worth checking into.

Mile High VX
11/19/2010, 03:31 PM
I have a oil pan heater on mine here in CO. It stick to the bottom of the oil pan and keeps it nice and warm. Plug it in at night and it's warm in the morning, even if it sits outside.

Ran the plug to one of the "holes" in the front cladding next to the front license plate area.

Ldub
11/19/2010, 03:38 PM
I have a factory Isuzu block heater, but since I just moved, I can't find it or the instructions that came with it...:(

But what I can tell you, is that it's threaded, & sealed with an O-ring.

A call to Merlin may help shed some light on this for you.

I know that you're looking for the heater warmth to come on sooner in the morning, but FWIW, mine has always started without much hesitation in temps as low as -35.

IMO, synthetic oil & an Optima red top help with that...:luck:

vt_maverick
11/19/2010, 05:34 PM
What viscosity/weight do you use up there Dub? Maybe a 5w30? Or even a 0w30?

Ascinder
11/19/2010, 05:45 PM
They also make recirculating coolant pumps that heat your coolant and pump it through your engine. They get plumbed right in line with your radiator hoses. I am planning on putting one in my Nissan Patrol since it doesn't like starting up when cold. Here's a link (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339137_200339137) to the one I'm getting. From reading reviews, they work the best out of the several types of heating systems.

vt_maverick
11/19/2010, 05:58 PM
T/J... How'd you get a Patrol in the States Ascinder?

Grif
11/19/2010, 05:59 PM
From reading reviews, they work the best out of the several types of heating systems.

Agreed. When I lived in Alaska I had used various types of heaters on several different vehicles. (alas, not on a VX) but those types IMHO are far superior to the others and easy to install as well.

Ascinder
11/19/2010, 06:41 PM
T/J... How'd you get a Patrol in the States Ascinder?

Popped up on my local craigslist about 5-6 months or so ago. It's one of about 2,200 ever imported into the US before Nissan and Toyota came to a "closed doors" agreement that Toyota would get the american jeep market and Nissan would get the sports car market. It's not a modern Patrol like you're probably thinking, it's a 1967. There's a couple of pics in my gallery. Yes, I have the top and doors too:smilewink It's a giant PITA because stuff is always breaking, but on the bright side, it's extremely simple to work on so all you really need is a screwdriver, pliers and a hammer:yesgray:

vt_maverick
11/20/2010, 04:14 AM
You're right, I was thinking one of the cool new ones that we see pics of on Euro forums from time to time. That thing looks like a cross beween an old FJ40 and a Willy's Jeep. (a good thing).

Back to your regularly scheduled thread conversation...