PDA

View Full Version : Bump stops

SouthJ1
11/13/2010, 08:22 PM
Went to see how far I was from the bumpstops today and well somehow they are not there :o

VX KAT
11/13/2010, 10:06 PM
If they were there (on the rear), there would only be about 1/2" clearance, if that! Many owners find they're actually touching the axel. I'm guessing the PO removed them.

Had the Rancho 9 way adjustable shocks for over a year, made ride better, but still really slamming down in the rear. Caused my rear door to need re-aligned 3 times so far in 2 yrs. Hatch popper gets whacked out of line too.

Finally decided to cut the rear stops in half. They're a figure 8 shape rubber and easy to lop off right in the middle of the "8".
Gained about 1.5" for a total of about 2".
No more slamming/jarring bumps.....it's way better!!! Best and cheapest mod I've done. :thumbup:

Told vt_maverick about it, sent him my spare pair of full stops, so he could still go back to OEM if wanted. He cut his in half about 2 weeks ago...he was equally impressed and happy with result.

Also, for the level of wheeling I do, it won't be any problem.

p.s...here's what they're supposed to look like:
REAR: Looks like mine were touching.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN04351.JPG

FRONT: I think there's 2 sets up front, this is only one of them.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0439.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN04381.JPG

vt_maverick
11/14/2010, 09:45 AM
Also, for the level of wheeling I do, it won't be any problem.

Hopefully others with trail experience will weigh in here, but I have to believe our OEM bump stops actually inhibit the articulation needing to do serious rock crawling. I would think that more clearance between the axle and bump stops allows for more suspension travel, and therefore better wheeling capability.

On the other hand, cutting the bump stops down probably allows for more body roll through corners (body isn't able to "sit" on the stops anymore when leaning) as well as wears your shocks out faster.

Regardless, I have no plans of ever going back to factory bump stop settings. The improvement in ride quality is simply amazing.

ZEUS
11/14/2010, 11:44 AM
Went to see how far I was from the bumpstops today and well somehow they are not there :o
I assume you are talking about the rear bumps? Did the rubber separate from their brackets or have the brackets been removed as well?

Lizardmen3477
11/14/2010, 04:20 PM
So how easy is it to cut these in half would anyone have pics of what they look like atfer cutting

vt_maverick
11/14/2010, 04:26 PM
So how easy is it to cut these in half would anyone have pics of what they look like atfer cutting

I used a hacksaw to cut mine, probably took about 10 minutes per stop due to my dull blades and obsessive-compulsive desire to make them perfectly flat on the bottom. :)

I don't have a pic handy, but it's easy enough to visualize. Just imagine that the lower part of the "figure 8" below (just to the right of the red coil spring) has been removed, leaving only a round/oval rubber piece bolted to the undercarriage.

vt_maverick
11/14/2010, 04:28 PM
And just to be clear, we are talking about the REAR BUMP STOPS ONLY.

Lizardmen3477
11/14/2010, 04:44 PM
How did you get them out to cut them? And this doesnt have any visual side effects? just smoother ride?

VX KAT
11/14/2010, 06:19 PM
I used a hacksaw to cut mine, probably took about 10 minutes per stop due to my dull blades and obsessive-compulsive desire to make them perfectly flat on the bottom. :) http://forum.thescubasite.com/happy/happy0008.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com) http://forum.thescubasite.com/happy/happy0008.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com)http://forum.thescubasite.com/happy/happy0008.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com)

How did you get them out to cut them? And this doesnt have any visual side effects? just smoother ride?

My mechanic used a Sawzall while up on the lift. Allowed the wheel/axle to drop down, gave him more space to work in.

The rear bump stop is the black thing. At the bottom of the figure 8 you can see a tan colored area (that's AZ desert dirt!). Can also see it's basically touching my axle! The bottom half of the figure 8 is what we cut off, so that tan part is no longer there.

Can also see the hardware attaching it to the truck, right above it, you can see the bolt head, also tan colored. There's 2 bolts holding it on, one on each side of the 8.

Absolutely nothing visually is changed by doing this. Just a nicer ride!

Lizardmen3477
11/14/2010, 06:23 PM
SO i can basically jack the rear end up and unscrew then hack away then screw back and im good to go!! O.O Sounds way to easy...

VX KAT
11/14/2010, 06:38 PM
Yup, that's it. I know, it does sound too easy....so little effort for such big gain....

Mav told me he found some rust on his brackets where it's catches and holds water. Might want to assess your brackets while you're there. I didn't have any rust, but my mechanic recommended to leave the bracket on, don't disrupt anything. Just cut them while still on. Course he had it on a lift, so it was way easier to do it that way. I just recall him telling me that. :_shrug::_shrug:

WILLY
11/15/2010, 03:00 AM
SO i can basically jack the rear end up and unscrew then hack away then screw back and im good to go!! O.O Sounds way to easy...

you dont have to take them off to cut them,Just jack ur truck up a bit and pull ur wheel off and they are right in front of u,very easy access for the sawzall.

vt_maverick
11/15/2010, 06:14 AM
you dont have to take them off to cut them,Just jack ur truck up a bit and pull ur wheel off and they are right in front of u,very easy access for the sawzall.

I think you have to pull/push the inner wheel well cover out of the way for it to be right in front of you. If you've got something powered this is definitely the easiest way. If you have to do it by hand, you're going to want to unbolt them, cut them, then bolt them back on. The rust KAT mentioned on mine didn't represent a structural issue; the mounting plate has a depression between the bolts that faces up, which makes a perfect place for water to pool. In that depression I had rust "scales" but they didn't impact the integrity of the mounting plate. It didn't really matter anyway, I cut up a spare set of bump stops that KAT sent me and mounted those in place of mine. (I generally buy extra of anything that I intend to mod so I don't screw up my original part.)

Lizardmen3477
11/15/2010, 09:19 AM
Awesome I may try to tackle this sometime this week.

VX KAT
11/15/2010, 10:36 AM
Mav- I think we've started a bump stop revolution!

vt_maverick
11/15/2010, 11:58 AM
Awesome I may try to tackle this sometime this week.

It's well worth your time, trust me. :)

Mav- I think we've started a bump stop revolution!

I hope so, I can't believe I've been putting up with the harsh ride for more than 2 years when a $0, 30 minute mod would have fixed it a long time ago. Thanks again Sue! :D

ZEUS
11/15/2010, 12:29 PM
Mav- I think we've started a bump stop revolution!Yeah and I wish you wouldn't have...:p What I get a kick out of in this thread is that the OP looked at his bump stops in hopes of improving his ride even though they were not even there to create a "harsh ride". So the ride has not changed. Yet what follows is... everybody saying hey you could get a better ride by chopping them up IF you had them. :confused:

So... Um... Maybe the rest of you should just remove them entirely... :slap::dan_ban:

vt_maverick
11/15/2010, 12:40 PM
So if a guy starts a thread and then doesn't come back for two days you honestly expect us to stay on topic? :p

VX KAT
11/15/2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah and I wish you wouldn't have...:p What I get a kick out of in this thread is that the OP looked at his bump stops in hopes of improving his ride even though they were not even there to create a "harsh ride". So the ride has not changed. Yet what follows is... everybody saying hey you could get a better ride by chopping them up IF you had them. :confused:

So... Um... Maybe the rest of you should just remove them entirely... :slap::dan_ban:

Now to be fair...the OP only said he went to look to see how much space there was....he didn't mention harsh ride.....prolly was thinking that! Maybe he has blown OEM shocks giving him a crummy ride??

Lizardmen3477
11/15/2010, 01:24 PM
How did one go about figurin this out and that it would provide a better ride lol

VX KAT
11/15/2010, 02:23 PM
Many trucks have a ton more clearance between the stops and the axle (Hubby's FJ has about 7"), and I've been told that most VXs have around 1/2" or less...so I think it arose from folks exploring why the ride was so slammin', knowing that many trucks have more space, and wondering why in the world the VX had so little.

ZEUS
11/15/2010, 08:34 PM
Now to be fair...the OP only said he went to look to see how much space there was....he didn't mention harsh ride.....prolly was thinking that! Maybe he has blown OEM shocks giving him a crummy ride??Yeah that's what I was wondering... perhaps the lack of bumpers created some worn or blown shocks and sagging springs leading to a low enough ride height. Maybe it causes the shocks to bottom out and create a harsh enough ride that one must check bump stop gap? :confused: Very mysterious post by SouthJ1..... you still with us? :smilewink

SouthJ1
11/16/2010, 02:26 PM
my ride is pretty good no problems

VX KAT
11/16/2010, 03:49 PM
my ride is pretty good no problems
well there ya go! Less bump stops the better!.....although it may be important to have something there so the axle doesn't hit whatever the stops were attached to?

ZEUS
11/16/2010, 04:16 PM
man of few words

vt_maverick
11/16/2010, 04:33 PM
Lol... here we all go assuming things, when apparently this thread was just an announcement. Maybe this board is too helpful. :p

Triathlete
11/16/2010, 04:50 PM
well there ya go! Less bump stops the better!.....although it may be important to have something there so the axle doesn't hit whatever the stops were attached to?

If your axle goes up that far your shocks will be toast (and probably your inner wheel well as well)!:yesy:

vt_maverick
11/16/2010, 05:44 PM
If your axle goes up that far your shocks will be toast (and probably your inner wheel well as well)!:yesy:

Which begs the question, why are they even there to begin with? :confused:

RickOKC
11/16/2010, 06:14 PM
Maybe this board is too helpful. :p
Then again... maybe not. I was pretty sure it had something to do with his ABS light.

:smilewink

ZEUS
11/16/2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah I still think the rest of you should just remove your bump stops instead of cutting them because... ride is pretty good no problems. :D

VX KAT
11/16/2010, 07:07 PM
Then again... maybe not. I was pretty sure it had something to do with his ABS light.
:smilewink

Yeah I still think the rest of you should just remove your bump stops instead of cutting them because... ride is pretty good no problems. :D

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Laughing/lol-047.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/facebook-smileys.html) You 2 are killin' me here! Zeus, yer on fire tonight boy! http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Laughing/lol-047.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/facebook-smileys.html)

Ldub
11/16/2010, 07:40 PM
So...exactly WHEN (with regard to rpm, not calendar date or phase of moon) do the muffler bearings start to squeal?...:confused:

ZEUS
11/16/2010, 11:31 PM
Well while laying down naked on my back after eating chili my bearings act as mufflers and there is a steady squeal just after the sub-dued pfffftt sound subsides. Why do you ask?

Triathlete
11/17/2010, 08:25 AM
That picture in my mind is making my eyes hurt real bad!:bwgy:

ZEUS
11/17/2010, 06:09 PM
HAHA! I forgot I posted that! I gotta stop with the posting when fugged up! That's pretty foul! HAHA!

SouthJ1
11/17/2010, 09:32 PM
Leave me alone I use my iPhone to check the forums :p I checked it while in school when I typed that short quick message but I'm ordering low profile bumpstops next week hopefully cause I just spent 1,000$ to fix a exaugst leak on the catalytic converter :( flow master exaughst coming in monday

ZEUS
11/17/2010, 09:43 PM
HAHAHA! YAY! He's not a robot! Just razzing you man. ;) Are you getting rear stops or front stops or both?

vt_maverick
11/18/2010, 03:30 AM
Leave me alone I use my iPhone to check the forums :p I checked it while in school when I typed that short quick message but I'm ordering low profile bumpstops next week hopefully cause I just spent 1,000$ to fix a exaugst leak on the catalytic converter :( flow master exaughst coming in monday

Holy crap, how much did the parts cost vs. the labor? That seems like an incredibly high price! :eek:

Marlin
11/18/2010, 04:48 AM
Holy crap, how much did the parts cost vs. the labor? That seems like an incredibly high price! :eek:

Damn, you could come close to buying an entire VX for that cost.

deermagnet
11/18/2010, 06:14 AM
I just spent 1,000$ to fix a exaugst leak on the catalytic converter
They probably ordered the cat from Isuzu for ~$900. I had it done years ago when the cat flange broke and it cost me over $1000. It was so loud it was almost undriveable. I got it to a nearby GM dealer. They told me how much and I said do it. I had the money and I wasn't gonna drive it around town trying to get it welded or find an aftermarket cat. It's my only vehicle and I wanted my VX back asap.

This is the cost from a few years ago-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx3/cat.gif

Sometimes people just want stuff done now, asap and don't care how much it costs. :cool:

Mark Griffin

vt_maverick
11/18/2010, 06:46 AM
Been there done that, glad we have two vehicles and the wife doesn't work so I can park the VX and research parts when it breaks. :yesy:

TheGanzman
11/24/2010, 05:06 PM
Well, not to get this thread TOO much "back on topic" - I jacked up my VX today and cut my bump stops with my Sawzall. Nuthin' to it, really - I didn't even have the the rear end "hanging", and still had no problem accessing the stops. Took the wheels off, of course. Some backline: My VX is pretty much stone stock, including the original shocks (which seem to be working fine, and with no leaks), stock size wheels and tires, no lift - 72K miles, never off-roaded, etc. My stops were within 1/2" to 3/4" of the top of the axle, and showed CLEAR evidence of hitting. Afterwards, I did my usual "test ride" - I would say that the extra travel DID produce a smoother ride, though it was most evident on larger dips/bumps - the kind that caused the ENTIRE axle to move at the same time. Cornering was not effected in the LEAST; nor did I expect it to - keeping a vehicle "flat" during corners is by and large the job(s) of the front and rear sway bars, respectively. I can see no "downside" to this mod; frankly, I'm at a loss as to why Isuzu oriented the bump stops SO close to the axle on a vehicle of this type, ESPECIALLY considering its short wheelbase and predisposition to a rough ride. Makes me wonder if the original design of the bump stops intentionally ALLOWED for this mod - the second "loop" of the figure 8 almost LOOKS like the stop was designed to possibly be "relieved" if necessary/desired...

Marlin
11/24/2010, 05:29 PM
Good thought, I would go a step further and say that I wonder if it is because all the Zus have that same rear bump stops (at least as far as the rodeos and troopers,Iwould assume the axiom as well?) Why reinvent new parts?

Ldub
11/24/2010, 05:47 PM
Good thought, I would go a step further and say that I wonder if it is because all the Zus have that same rear bump stops (at least as far as the rodeos and troopers,Iwould assume the axiom as well?) Why reinvent new parts?

That was my first thought too...:yesgray:

Isuzu is well known for sourcing parts from other models.
The VX, with an orig sticker price of $30k-+, I doubt they were gonna spend any time re-engineering new bumps for a model with a known production run of less than 6000.

As per u$ual corporate...slap something on it & send it to the masses...:upsetgray

Bob Barker
11/24/2010, 05:49 PM
I don't understand how so many people can have issues with hitting the bump stops so much. With the 912's and daystar spacers I have at least 4 inches of space between the axles and bumps, and they are the whole bumps, not cut, not shorter than factory. I can't imagine that the factory suspension parts had them closer than an inch.

Ldub
11/24/2010, 05:52 PM
I don't understand how so many people can have issues with hitting the bump stops so much. With the 912's and daystar spacers I have at least 4 inches of space between the axles and bumps, and they are the whole bumps, not cut, not shorter than factory. I can't imagine that the factory suspension parts had them closer than an inch.

Maybe yours were already cut?

I've never seen a stock/non lifted VX with more than 3/4" between the stop & the axle pad, with 1/4-1/2" being far more common...:_confused

Triathlete
11/24/2010, 06:48 PM
Dub, I think he was being funny...he says he has 912's plus spacers!

Bob Barker
11/25/2010, 03:51 AM
No I was sayin that before the suspension mods, I can't imagine them being closer than an inch... The bumps aren't cut either. The whole "Figure 8" is there.

vt_maverick
11/25/2010, 05:19 AM
In any event, going from anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2" of clearance to 3 or 4" will make a huge difference.

Bob Barker
11/25/2010, 07:08 AM
fo shizzle!

SouthJ1
11/25/2010, 02:31 PM
HAHAHA! YAY! He's not a robot! Just razzing you man. ;) Are you getting rear stops or front stops or both?

I'm only getting rear stops for now since those are the only ones missing so far lol but on the exaughst note flow masters sound weird my isuzu kinda sounds like a diesel? Lol kinda a weird sound to hear from this thing but I have so many dtc codes right now I just sent all my injectors off to get cleaned hopefully it will give me some gas pedal cause right now my Vx bogs down when I give it past half throttle

Marlin
11/25/2010, 03:17 PM
but on the exaughst note flow masters sound weird my isuzu kinda sounds like a diesel? Lol kinda a weird sound to hear from this thing but I have so many dtc codes right now I just sent all my injectors off to get cleaned hopefully it will give me some gas pedal cause right now my Vx bogs down when I give it past half throttle

I have the flowmaster 40, I love that it sounds like a diesel. One of my favorite mods...of course, I love my Diesel F250 as well. It may sound like a diesel anyway, the 3.5L valve train is very noisy.

Maddawg
09/13/2012, 03:29 PM
Mine were touching the rear axle without a lift and I sawed them to half height. With my three inch lift I just took them off. We don't need no steenking stops!