PDA

View Full Version : use crutchfield stereo

stevo2deep
11/12/2010, 06:39 PM
Not spammin here lol

I've had my first VX for 1.5 weeks now (99 Astral Ironman) and just received my first upgrade from Crutchfield. I've been trolling for a few weeks on this forum since I had to wait almost a month to fly and pick up my favorite vehicle ever. Anyway I'm turning this little asteroid into a ground-pounder so after feeling good about the drive-train I ordered the stereo-system, all told about 5000 watts RMS. I bought the DVD receiver through Crutchfield online using the vehicle specific filter and what do I get? They actually send you a cubby to replace the cd changer! And without specifying whatsoever they sent the speaker wiring adapter and of course the appropriate harness. What blew me away was that there were also detailed photo instructions for the front and rear speakers as well, and I already knew about their detailed dash removal/deck installation instructions. Anyway I'm prolly a bit too drunk and excited to work on my VX to be posting, but F*** it. I was going to get started in the morning (Saturday) but I found out 15 minutes before the end of day that I would be working.:mado2: Can't wait to dig in and thanks in advance for all the tips and info that everyone has provided on this bad-*** forum. BTW where do I find a user manual??

vt_maverick
11/12/2010, 08:13 PM
It's probably under your beer. :D

vt_maverick
11/12/2010, 08:14 PM
Btw, motorized flip-out or double-DIN in-dash?

stevo2deep
11/13/2010, 08:24 AM
Well then where'd my beer go? Should've been more specific. I'm looking for a download or linky for the VX owner's manual. Not quite as enthusiastic as I was last night since I'm at work now but I'm sure I'll be drunken posting again later:yeso: Most of my enthusiasm truly is for the vehicle. I'm here in Utah and have only seen one before, turns out the guy works just down the street from me and same trade (machinist). Small world I guess, just glad I found this forum!

joshi
11/13/2010, 08:35 AM
there is the download link from this forum to the workshop manual : HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/misc/vx_manuals/IV00_01.pdf) It is labled for 2000 VehiCROSS but should be useful for all..
Also check out the download section (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads):)

vt_maverick
11/13/2010, 08:37 AM
I assume you'll be going to Moab in the spring then?

Bob Barker
11/13/2010, 09:11 AM
I didn't know Ironman's came in Astral.

mdwyer
11/13/2010, 10:42 AM
The Crutchfield instructions miss one little important point: The ground wire in their harness doesn't actually do anything. VX radios get their ground through their chassis. What this means is that when you test fit everything and the radio doesn't work, DON'T PANIC.

The radio will probably work fine once it is screwed back into the dash.

Other than that, Crutchfield kicks butt.

vt_maverick
11/13/2010, 04:25 PM

Good catch Bob, must be getting old not to see that one lol.

stevo2deep
11/14/2010, 08:38 AM
Btw, motorized flip-out or double-DIN in-dash?
Kenwood flip-out. Didn't know you could double-DIN???

I assume you'll be going to Moab in the spring then?
Moab FTW! But there are many awesome places to explore in Utah. I'm up north and usually find my way to the bottom in the summer a few times.

Well pardon me, I am an uninformed noob. Is the Ironman basically and edition with extras??? All I know is I have a silver VX with Ironman on the hood insert and leather red seats, overhead rack, etc. I was under the impression that these were some of the upgrades with this edition??

The Crutchfield instructions miss one little important point: The ground wire in their harness doesn't actually do anything. VX radios get their ground through their chassis. What this means is that when you test fit everything and the radio doesn't work, DON'T PANIC.
Other than that, Crutchfield kicks butt.

Thanks a bunch:winkgray:

Also thanks to who posted the manual link.

The deck and changer came out surprisingly easy, and I replaced the blower resistor and lubed the blower, all working well now. Hopefully I'll get the rear view camera and runs of heavy wire run to the rear today. Thanks again for everyone reachin' out..

vt_maverick
11/14/2010, 09:40 AM

Not without serious dash customization (for US models at least) so you're correct, most members go with the flip-out option.

Well pardon me, I am an uninformed noob. Is the Ironman basically and edition with extras??? All I know is I have a silver VX with Ironman on the hood insert and leather red seats, overhead rack, etc. I was under the impression that these were some of the upgrades with this edition??

The Ironman Edition is distinguished only by cosmetics; factory Ironmans came only in Victory White with special badging for the hood insert, C-pillars, and rear door. On the interior, the floor mats and front seats have the Ironman logo stitched/embossed into them. There are no actual options (roof rack for example) that are unique to Ironmans. So more than likely your previous owner swapped his insert with someone who had a real Ironman, or he just ordered the stickers through a dealership.

stevo2deep
11/14/2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks for clarifying Bob and VT Maverick:thumbup:

Got the dash all back together now with deck and rear view camera installed, as well as the runs of wiring to the rear. I wound up using a relay to reverse polarity from the remote lead to trick the dvd player into thinking I am always in park:biggringr I also installed a switch in one of the spare dash pop-outs which switches the rear-view camera on and off, rather than having to be in reverse. I went for a cruise and was surprised how wide the camera angle is. Really helps with that big blind spot. . .

pbkid
11/14/2010, 06:59 PM

done and done...... and its theft proof because as long as the keys are out of the ignition, the gear selector is locked in 'park'....
no way to get the radio out with the gear selector in park :naughty:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/IMG_2142.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/IMG_21411.JPG

Bob Barker
11/15/2010, 05:50 AM
I've got to be honest, that looks like trash! Is there no way to make it look finished?

vt_maverick
11/15/2010, 06:06 AM
Got the dash all back together now with deck and rear view camera installed, as well as the runs of wiring to the rear. I wound up using a relay to reverse polarity from the remote lead to trick the dvd player into thinking I am always in park:biggringr I also installed a switch in one of the spare dash pop-outs which switches the rear-view camera on and off, rather than having to be in reverse. I went for a cruise and was surprised how wide the camera angle is. Really helps with that big blind spot. . .

As we often say around here: Pics or it didn't happen! :D

pbkid
11/15/2010, 05:30 PM
I've got to be honest, that looks like trash! Is there no way to make it look finished?

bob-
that was before it was completely done....
i had a fiberglass piece made that snapped into the factory clips around where that radio is... it looked flush with the dash when i was done. unfortunately, i dont have pics because it was right before i sold it (in order to sell my VX)

tjh
11/15/2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for clarifying Bob and VT Maverick:thumbup:

Got the dash all back together now with deck and rear view camera installed, as well as the runs of wiring to the rear. I wound up using a relay to reverse polarity from the remote lead to trick the dvd player into thinking I am always in park:

I grounded that particular wire . Yep movies on the go .

Ldub
11/15/2010, 06:51 PM

bob-
that was before it was completely done....
i had a fiberglass piece made that snapped into the factory clips around where that radio is... it looked flush with the dash when i was done. unfortunately, i dont have pics because it was right before i sold it (in order to sell my VX)

When you seek criticism, rather than praise, that's what you get...:smilewink

Triathlete
11/15/2010, 08:08 PM
When you seek criticism, rather than praise, that's what you get...:smilewink

Awww, but you are wise beyond your years grasshopper!:bwgy: