PDA

View Full Version : Hood insulation

Travelin2
11/09/2010, 04:47 AM
The insulation blanket under my hood is looking discolored and an area over the battery is deteriorated due to acid I suppose. Has anyone come up with a good solution without spending the $185 I see they are asking,if indeed it is available?

tom4bren
11/09/2010, 05:02 AM
I think the consensus is that the insulation is not needed. There should be absolutely no issues if you just remove it.

or

If you're not worried about 'pretty', I've 'fixed' several on other cars in the past with pretty good results. Home Depot or Lowes should carry aluminum tape (for duct work) that's easy to apply & holds up well. This is probably the only application where Duct Tape (the fiber kind) can't fix it. That stuff will break down & fall apart in the hot environment of the engine bay.

Here's a thread where it's discussed:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16514&highlight=engine+blanket

WormGod
11/09/2010, 07:04 AM
I think the only real advantage to having the liner was noise and vibration damping. My battery exploded a while back and it turned it into pudding and I haven't used it since. Without it, it's kinda nice hearing more of the S/C whine anyways. ;)

circmand
11/09/2010, 07:04 AM
Dynamit would work well for heat and noise with no issues of stuff falling into the bay

WormGod
11/09/2010, 07:24 AM
Dynamit would work well for heat and noise with no issues of stuff falling into the bay

Dynamat turns to soup when it gets too hot though. I would be careful with that. (heat gun is a Dynamat installers dream.) ;)

Luna X
11/09/2010, 07:34 AM
Dynamat and others make mats specifically for high-heat areas such as under hood...

circmand
11/09/2010, 09:25 AM
Dynamat turns to soup when it gets too hot though. I would be careful with that. (heat gun is a Dynamat installers dream.) ;)

was specifically recomended for blocking drive shaft heat from the cabin

Travelin2
11/09/2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys... I'm not up on the Dynamat stuff. I'll look into it. Heat wise I suppose a guy should expect what under hood maybe 250 degrees?

rowhard
11/09/2010, 03:09 PM
John, did you get the photo's I sent you?

Travelin2
11/09/2010, 03:55 PM
Yes John, I did. Thanks. You said I could post them with my questions but you were not fully aware of my ineptitude on this machine.:o I really do have some redeeming qualities though....honest!

vt_maverick
11/09/2010, 04:03 PM
I think the consensus is that the insulation is not needed. There should be absolutely no issues if you just remove it.

I think the only real advantage to having the liner was noise and vibration damping. My battery exploded a while back and it turned it into pudding and I haven't used it since. Without it, it's kinda nice hearing more of the S/C whine anyways. ;)

Doesn't the excess heat have a negative effect on the insert? I think I've read theories on here that over time engine bay heat contributes to the cracking problem.

Travelin2
11/09/2010, 05:27 PM
With everyones help I found the solution I think. 1/3 the cost of the Isuzu part if it was available.
http://www.b-quiet.com/hliner.html

rowhard
11/11/2010, 02:30 PM
With everyones help I found the solution I think. 1/3 the cost of the Isuzu part if it was available.
http://www.b-quiet.com/hliner.html

look at the spec's, their product spec's out just as well as the dynamat at half the cost. Get some extra and do both skins of your door's. Make alot of difference. I used almost also hundred foot of it so far.:)

circmand
11/11/2010, 02:55 PM
look at the spec's, their product spec's out just as well as the dynamat at half the cost. Get some extra and do both skins of your door's. Make alot of difference. I used almost also hundred foot of it so far.:)

I didnt pay even a quarter of that for my dynamat. Either price has quadrupled or some one is playing loose with the facts.

Ascinder
11/11/2010, 06:48 PM
On many cars and trucks, the insert is used for noise dampening yes, but I think more so for blocking heat that actually causes paint discoloration on the top of the hood. You could easily use some lizardskin to block heat the same way and block noise as well. Obviously it won't fall off either. I have also seen sheets of aluminized insulation similar to what we have available from most auto parts stores. It would be attached in the same manner as our stock insulation.

rowhard
11/11/2010, 07:32 PM
I can't seem to be able to insert any photo's, but I just loaded a photo in my gallery of how I dealt with the hood insert issue.

vt_maverick
11/11/2010, 07:38 PM
Here you go...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_044.jpg

Grif
11/11/2010, 07:59 PM
That should work ok. Its not dynamat for sure but should be much lighter. In that application its prolly much more appropriate than dynamat.

Ascinder
11/11/2010, 09:06 PM
Foil: it's not just for hats any more:smilewink

WormGod
11/12/2010, 07:09 AM
Ya, and the weight of Dynamat alone is NOT worth adding to your hood. Nice to pop you hood up and be done, but to have to call your neighbor over to help you lift it.... ;)

If it came down to it, I would just go without. Haven't had a liner in years and it doesn't bother me at all. Couldn't imagine the S/C pulley grabbing ahold of it and winding it through anyways.... would liike like roadkill and do Gof knows what kind of damage, heh.

rowhard
11/12/2010, 09:00 AM
Here you go...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/Picture_044.jpg

Thanks Ashley, not sure what my problem is. Anyway, this isn't the B-quiet or Dynamat stuff. This is just aluminum covered jut, weights nothing with aluminum tape on the edges.