PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new Heater Core & Evap Core??

tysamigo
11/04/2010, 12:02 PM
I had a new stereo installed in my VX and while installing the guys put a bluetooth box behind the radio near the DAMPER DOOR for the ac/heat. Because of the way it was installed, the damper door broke off and I had to get a new one from Jerry.

Now that everything is taken apart and they are replacing the damper door, the shop called me and asked me something I had not thought about?

"While we have this apart do you want to go ahead and replace the Heater Core and Evaporatore Core? The labor is free (parts are extra) for us to do this since it's our fault, so do you want to go ahead and replace them?"

I told him I'll have to get back with him. I just wanted to ask you all about this. Would you replace them? They both appear to be in good shape by looking at them and there is no problem, however I have 89k miles on my proton and was wondering should I go ahead and do this? If the census is yes, then can I get these cores from a trooper or something? I'd rather not replace them if its not needed or if its unlikely I'll have a problem with either of them in the future. I do plan on keeping this truck forever though. If anything I'll park it and get something else but I do want the vx forever...

Any advice PLEASE???

Thanks
Tyler Ramage
Louisville, KY

tom4bren
11/04/2010, 12:22 PM
Neither part is on scheduled maintenance for replacement. Typically they are only replaced if they fail.

If it were me, I would not replace them at this time.

If those $$$ are worth your peace of mind though - now would be the time.

BTW, I've only heard of 2 VXs that have had to have the heater core replaced.

ibmx2
11/04/2010, 12:31 PM
Neither part is on scheduled maintenance for replacement. Typically they are only replaced if they fail.

If it were me, I would not replace them at this time.

If those $$$ are worth your peace of mind though - now would be the time.

BTW, I've only heard of 2 VXs that have had to have the heater core replaced.

X2

rowhard
11/04/2010, 12:52 PM
I don't know, IF the parts aren't that expensive and you plan on keeping your VX forever and a day, it could be money well spent. Call a few shops and dealers and get a quote on what it would cost to do the heat and evap core and how long it would take then decide.

You ever install those skid plates?

tysamigo
11/04/2010, 01:23 PM
Wow, thank you for responding so fast lol!!

I just called them and told them I'll pass on replacing both units. They were really pushing for me to do it but I told them I'll pass for now and that both units appear to be reliable.

Thank you VERY much for your help :)

TYler

tysamigo
11/04/2010, 01:29 PM
No, on the skid plates. I still haven't done that yet. My mother and father both are not doing so well with their health and my brother and I have had to leave our other jobs to come back home and take over the family business.

It's on my mind constantly, but I haven't had the time yet to do it. I still have an entire desk of accessories and just all kinds of stuff that is just sitting there in its box... :/

I need to paint the VX, then I'm going to put some RHINO bedding on the cladding ($450 total if I take the parts to them). Then I was going to add the skid plates and stuff. I still haven't figured out the whole "rivot thing". A few of the cladding pieces are attached by rivots. I've heard to drill them out and replace them but since I've never done it I was going to try and find a video online or something to help show me how to do that. Then I can move forward with everything else.

I did, however, get a really nice sound system installed. And happy with it...outside of the truck first, then I'll go back inside. I'm talking with a guy here to make a CF dash and center console (a whole new shape and look) ($2kish) and maybe replace the interior walls with fiberglass... one thing at a time.

My ABS Module (the refurbished one I bought 4 months ago) just went out. I only paid $150 but still... Jerry quoted me $750 and I'm still debating on if it's worth the hassle or not of having it fixed. I really want it but ya know...

circmand
11/04/2010, 03:31 PM
Wow, thank you for responding so fast lol!!

I just called them and told them I'll pass on replacing both units. They were really pushing for me to do it but I told them I'll pass for now and that both units appear to be reliable.

Thank you VERY much for your help :)

TYler

These are not pars that usually break on any car. The fact that they suggested it and did so aggresively would cause me to stop using them. This is like them asking if you want to replace the windshield when it is not broken. Sure they break but they do not wear out usually and replacing them before they brake does not mean you wont need to replace the new part in the near future.