PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof idea

eternal21
11/01/2010, 06:06 AM
I'm really wanting one, but I'm a budget-minded DIYer. Instead of paying for an aftermarket roof, it would be more economical (and logical) to find a sunroof assembly from a junked Passport or Rodeo and use OEM equipment. I imagine I can get my hands on the assembly for a couple hundred bucks at most.

Has anyone else ever tried this?

circmand
11/01/2010, 07:41 AM
I'm really wanting one, but I'm a budget-minded DIYer. Instead of paying for an aftermarket roof, it would be more economical (and logical) to find a sunroof assembly from a junked Passport or Rodeo and use OEM equipment. I imagine I can get my hands on the assembly for a couple hundred bucks at most.

Has anyone else ever tried this?

Manual sunroof new doesnt cost much, has no parts to break and replace and no wires to run in the installation. That being said the roof headliner in the vX is not the best for a sunroof.

vt_maverick
11/01/2010, 07:47 AM
I hear you on saving money, but are you prepared to take a band saw to your roof? That gives me chills just thinking about it... :freek:

eternal21
11/01/2010, 07:54 AM
I hear you on saving money, but are you prepared to take a band-saw to your roof? That gives me chills just thinking about it... :freek:

Compared to my Legend build, that's not a big deal *lol*. I'll post that over here one day to give y'all an idea. I completely gutted that car, interior and engine bay, and trunk, to rebuild it. With time, preparation, and patience, yeah, I'd take my Rotozip to the VX w/out much hesitation.

Manual sunroof new doesnt cost much, has no parts to break and replace and no wires to run in the installation. That being said the roof headliner in the vX is not the best for a sunroof.

I'm assuming I can take the Rodeo/Passport headliner and transfer it over?

Riff Raff
11/01/2010, 08:27 AM
Eternal21--- My VX has a professionally installed aftermarket Electric Moon-Roof (approx $1,500 installed) and I can't imagine owning a VX without it. To my knowledge; no one here on this forum has ever done a "transplant" from a Rodeo/Passport, and you would be venturing in unchartered waters.

The most inexpensive route and with the least amount of installation headaches, would be to install a simple non-electric "Pop-Top" version manual sunroof using the existing headliner.

:bgwb:

Luna X
11/01/2010, 08:40 AM
Factory sunroofs have little holes in each corner attached to lengths of tubing for the purpose of water extraction.

I wouldn't recommend going the factory transplant route, unless you want to replace the whole roof skin.

It would be much easier to go with an aftermarket one... ;)

eternal21
11/01/2010, 01:42 PM
Eternal21--- My VX has a professionally installed aftermarket Electric Moon-Roof (approx $1,500 installed) and I can't imagine owning a VX without it. To my knowledge; no one here on this forum has ever done a "transplant" from a Rodeo/Passport, and you would be venturing in unchartered waters.

The most inexpensive route and with the least amount of installation headaches, would be to install a simple non-electric "Pop-Top" version manual sunroof using the existing headliner.

:bgwb:

Negative, full electric or bust. Budget minding yes, cheap, no. Every car I've owned save 2 had electric units, and those 2 didn't b/c they were targa tops (both del sols).

And venturing into uncharted waters is something I do. I think *WAY* outside the box (currently I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to put 4 piston calipers on this thing ;))

Factory sunroofs have little holes in each corner attached to lengths of tubing for the purpose of water extraction.

I wouldn't recommend going the factory transplant route, unless you want to replace the whole roof skin.

It would be much easier to go with an aftermarket one... ;)

Yes, the run channels that flow down the A and C pillars. I've replaced the entire assembly on the Legend, so I'm familiar with them. I don't see how the whole roof skin would have to be replaced. I have a competent welder, so I think I'll visit a couple @ the junkyard to see what I can see and make a determination based on that.

Where there's a will, there's a way ;)

circmand
11/01/2010, 03:22 PM
Negative, full electric or bust. Budget minding yes, cheap, no. Every car I've owned save 2 had electric units, and those 2 didn't b/c they were targa tops (both del sols).
;)

I have had a few with the manual pop up. I enjoyed them and had no leak issues or repair bills. The last cost me $189 installed (many years ago) if I could find an installer I would do the manual again.

I wish you could still get manual transmissions, manual roll down windows, manual seat adjustments, Manual radio tuners, cars you could do a manual tune up without a computer, manual mirror adjustments etc. The automobile operations system remains pretty similar to what it was in the 70s with a few changes. New cars used to sell for $3,500 now the VX sold for almost $35,000. That is a hundred times more expensive for butt warmers and other namby pamby accesories. They arent worth $30,000.

eternal21
11/01/2010, 04:09 PM
I wish you could still get manual transmissions, manual roll down windows, manual seat adjustments, Manual radio tuners, cars you could do a manual tune up without a computer, manual mirror adjustments etc.

*lol* Well, I have the manual tranny and we all have the manual seats, so I'm partway there ;)

vt_maverick
11/01/2010, 05:58 PM
...currently I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to put 4 piston calipers on this thing ;))...

You let me know when you get that figured out... that's been on my dream sheet for awhile. :)

eternal21
11/01/2010, 07:08 PM
I have a set from an FD that are currently sitting in my garage, a wild imagination, and a great machinist/welder ;) Given that the brakes seem to SUCK on this thing, that'll probably be one of my first mods.

Luna X
11/02/2010, 04:54 AM
What I should have said, is that a true factory sunroof is stamped as an option into the sheet metal from the factory...

So, yes, while anything IS possible, doesn't mean it's any easier/better.... to "splice" in a factory sunroof, you would have to cut out the original, cut a huge hole in your vehicle, then weld in the sunroof, then do lot's of bodywork, etc... That's why I mentioned replacing the roof panel. At least then all your welds and bodywork could be kept along the front windshield and down the drip channels.
(25 years in the autobody industry... I've seen a lot)

circmand
11/02/2010, 07:45 AM
What I should have said, is that a true factory sunroof is stamped as an option into the sheet metal from the factory...

So, yes, while anything IS possible, doesn't mean it's any easier/better.... to "splice" in a factory sunroof, you would have to cut out the original, cut a huge hole in your vehicle, then weld in the sunroof, then do lot's of bodywork, etc... That's why I mentioned replacing the roof panel. At least then all your welds and bodywork could be kept along the front windshield and down the drip channels.
(25 years in the autobody industry... I've seen a lot)

Was a sunroof even an option on the VX? And if not is it stamped?

Gussie2000
11/02/2010, 08:27 AM
An sunroof installed on VX it shouldn"t be a problem if you get that job done with a reputable/trusthworthy/affordable sunroof installer.

For example,i went over few months ago to an shop which the very owner stills does get his hands on the job even though he got two other workers.

After few minutes measuring the lenght-width of the avalaible area he went to his office and pull few models with the right size.

He suggested me an spoiler style instead of the one rolling under the roof which takes more headroom and because of the very sporty looking style of the VX.

Quote me with labor include : $ 600.00
Will be done in early spring season next year :)

Luna X
11/02/2010, 04:07 PM
Was a sunroof even an option on the VX? And if not is it stamped?

I don't think there was a sunroof option for the VX... I was thinking along the lines of the possibility of the Rodeo/Amigo roof-line being close. But, with that said, my original statement of suggesting aftermarket holds up... ;)

vt_maverick
11/03/2010, 10:25 AM
He suggested me an spoiler style instead of the one rolling under the roof which takes more headroom and because of the very sporty looking style of the VX.

Won't the spoiler style hit your roof cross bar?

RallyDude
11/06/2010, 10:18 PM
I've got a power sunroof the PO installed. He probably paid half as much for that as the supercharger. The sunroof is nice. The SC is badass.

Gussie2000
11/06/2010, 11:11 PM
Won't the spoiler style hit your roof cross bar?

Probably yes,but you can roll the glass as far as it can just not to touch the roof racks.

I barely use my racks,actually i only use one of them which has the off road lights that i mod

eternal21
11/08/2010, 01:43 PM
I've got a power sunroof the PO installed. He probably paid half as much for that as the supercharger. The sunroof is nice. The SC is badass.

I'm not overly-impressed with roots-style superchargers, more so with centrifugal. Installing one is very simple, it doesn't require the intake mani. to come off. One of the reasons I went w/the Rotrex and will probably do so if/when I decide to s/c the VX.

But, that is a topic for another post, this one is about sunroofs :)

lasturbo
11/08/2010, 01:59 PM
There must be a reason why the factory did not have the option for it besides the rippled roof line. I guess if you are a total DIY'er, fabricator, or sunroof lover, go for it. IMO, leave it be and save the dollars for other VX goodies, suspension , shocks, wheels, tires, etc.

vt_maverick
11/08/2010, 02:40 PM
There must be a reason why the factory did not have the option for it besides the rippled roof line.

My guess is cost. If they put a sunroof in Rodeos/Amigos/Troopers I can't see why it would be less safe on a VX. But I can see how it would have pushed the price tag even more out of reach for most buyers in 1999-2001.

I say go for it!

blacksambo
11/08/2010, 08:08 PM
If you're gonna go full-up custom why not go all the way and install a full length model, like a new caddy srx?

vt_maverick
11/09/2010, 07:57 PM
Now that would be suhweet! But you gotta figure structural integrity would be a huge problem, no? The Caddy was designed with that in mind; I'm sure full-length sunroofs were never even on the table for the VX.

Gussie2000
11/09/2010, 08:37 PM
Now that would be suhweet! But you gotta figure structural integrity would be a huge problem, no? The Caddy was designed with that in mind; I'm sure full-length sunroofs were never even on the table for the VX.

I will follow you on that.

Even though the VX's roof was capable enough for someone to go ahead with such mod i can't see so much luxury for a truck that doesn't come with a single cup holder :_crying:

eternal21
11/10/2010, 09:51 AM
I guess if you are a total DIY'er, fabricator, or sunroof lover, go for it. IMO, leave it be and save the dollars for other VX goodies, suspension , shocks, wheels, tires, etc.

If it only costs me $100, that's not much out of pocket. I haven't decided that I'm going this particular route, but I have every intention of having a sunroof. This just seemed the most logical way to do it: 1) it recycles parts that would just be sitting there, 2) it is a *lot* less expensive and 3) it could be another mod that other VX owners could incorporate due to the low entry cost.

Triathlete
11/10/2010, 10:53 AM
If you're gonna go full-up custom why not go all the way and install a full length model, like a new caddy srx?

The VX has several structural supports in the roof that without some serious modding for strength would prevent that. For that reason there are only certain sizes of sunroofs that can be installed.

pbkid
11/10/2010, 07:42 PM
:dan_ban:

seemed like this thread needed some excitement.

RallyDude
11/10/2010, 11:15 PM
All options on the VX had to be bolt on. There is no way they could charge what it would cost to recoup the engineering and change the assembly line to sell what, about 1,000 sunroofs? I know it was partially handbuilt, but we only got one tranny too. It certainly can be added, but it can be pricey. I agree with last turbo, performance mods result in more fun for the dollar. If you can competently do all the work yourself, and it will only cost you $100, I'd say go for it if you have the time, but it will be a lot of time. I'm impressed at how well my aftermarket job looks and functions. It definitely looks stock.

As far as luxury, most people add a cupholder, What, you don't like the square cupholder? Mod your truck however you want yours setup. If you have the time and the skills, it is a nice feature.

Nothing wrong with my SC performance either. I'm quite happy with it even at altitude. I couldn't tell you the brand of it, but it keeps me grinnin'.

circmand
11/11/2010, 06:51 AM
As far as luxury, most people add a cupholder, What, you don't like the square cupholder? .

that is the problem. The problem is you cant put anything larger than a 12 ounce pop can. I want something that can cold a 44 oz big gulp

eternal21
11/11/2010, 11:40 AM
Nothing wrong with my SC performance either. I'm quite happy with it even at altitude. I couldn't tell you the brand of it, but it keeps me grinnin'.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong w/the performance, I wasn't implying that. I'm just not a big fan of the way roots have to sit on top of the mani. If you don't have a mani-specific roots, ie, designed for your vehicle, it isn't easy to slap it on. If you have to have it rebuilt, you can't just pull it off for servicing w/out taking the truck down. With a centrifugal, all you do is take off the belt, remove a bracket and you're done. It also allows for more mounting location options.