PDA

View Full Version : Reduce the Rough Ride?

redcarl
09/05/2003, 05:46 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the rough ride? I realize it is essentially made for off-road and that is why it rides rough. However, I just got my VX and my wife hates the way it rides because it rides so rough and now she wants me to get rid of it. I want to get the best of both worlds and compromise, so any advice would be great.

Cptnmorgan
09/05/2003, 06:05 AM
Get the Rancho 9 way adjustable shocks!!! Put them on 1 when shes in the truck, and on 9 when you are off roading. On level 1 it will bounce a lot, but it will be a lot smoother!!!!

deermagnet
09/05/2003, 06:10 AM
The best thing you can do for the VX ride is get the Rancho 9000 9-way adjustable shocks. Then you can dial in a ride to suit your wife. It will never ride like a luxury car, but it will be a tremendous improvement. These shocks are the best thing I ever did for my VX. Knowing what I know now, the stock shocks would've been in a trash bin three days after purchase, where they belong. The Rancho shocks will change your entire driving experience for the better.

Mark

Cyrk
09/05/2003, 06:22 AM
Around how much do the Rancho costs with installation?
Were is a good place to buy them on-line?

how do you adjust them? is it a knob inside or do you have to pop the hood?

Can you dial in a nice firm ride like stock to a softer luxury ride?

Thanks
-Dave

Raque Thomas
09/05/2003, 06:45 AM
I must admit - I really like the stock ride. Rides about like a Vette - an SUVette, maybe. Now if I only had a supercharger, maybe I'd have the power to go with the ride!

Yefim
09/05/2003, 09:10 AM
Sams Off Road (http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/rancho.htm) had a great deal on Ranchos (see my original thread here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1162&highlight=rancho)). They where offering a "4 for the price of 3" special so you get a set of four new Rancho RS9000X Nine-Speed shocks for $209.85 with FREE shipping. That was the best deal around I believe.

That deal is now over. I contacted them about a week ago to see if they still offer it "off-line" but they said they no longer do; however, they said they will most likely run the same deal next year so if you are willing to wait you'll save some money. I will get a set myself the next time I think.

kpaske
09/05/2003, 05:38 PM
SPAZZ - You can get the Rancho's in either the stock lengths, or longer to match with lifted VX'es. If you do a search you should be able to find the part numbers.

When I installed mine, I originally set them to 1, but the ride was way too bouncy. I've been riding with them set to 8 and the ride is similar to stock - fairly stiff, especially in the rear. I'm wondering if anyone has played around with setting the front different from the rear to get that "perfect" ride? I'm thinking stiff in the front (like 6-8) and soft in the rear (like 2-5) might take away some of the overall stiffness, especially over speed bumps and such. Any suggestions?

paultvx
09/05/2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
are the 9,000's longer than stock shocks??? if so, how much ????

They come in different sizes... just like the rest of the aftermarket shocks.

Ice Cream Man
10/01/2003, 02:30 PM
Read the responses to shock advise: sounds like Rancho 9000 are best way. I am totally new to the VX world: bought my '99 from Son In Law

hchen
10/01/2003, 11:38 PM
the rough ride is why i like it so much, very good for handling =) it's all about the handling...plus the more you feel the road the more you feel like youre actually driving. imma make mine stiffler....soon.

Raquet thomas....if you dont have the loot for a supercharger now..just buy a nitrious express kit and shoot a 75 shot when you racing someone. of course it's not gonna be like Fast and Furious with you pressed all the way back...unless maybe you do a dual nitrous but then it'll probably blow the engine...but 75 extra hp to the wheels will give you more speed...for now...than the supercharger. of coures for no longer than 15 seconds or else it might cause some damage. but yea...50 to 75 shot will do just fine. you can get a used one with purge for about 300-350.

sveltax
10/02/2003, 07:17 AM
I have the Ranchos in my Axiom. I have the front on 4 and the rear on 1 as I replaced my stock springs with OME 912s. I can really tell the difference with the front shock settings, I've been up to 9 and down to 2 to see how they all feel on road and off road. Anything less than 4 off road and the front is too bouncy.