PDA

View Full Version : Vicki's back!!!!

MSHardeman
10/25/2010, 08:59 AM
After going a week and a half without my baby, I finally got to pick her up from the mechanics this morning and she's running quieter than she has in a long time.

For those who have been following, and those who haven't, I had a bad vibration/grinding noise at highway speeds that made my teeth itch. It felt like it was coming from right below the drivers seat and I could feel it in the floor board through my feet. I chased down the usual suspects; checked engine and transmission mounts (OK), greased the zerk fittings on the drive shaft (good to go), and checked the transfer case fluid level (honky dory). None of that solved the problem. I knew that I had a split inner drivers side CV boot, but I didn't think that that would make all that racket. The CV was clicking in four wheel drive, but other than that didn't make any noise.

Got Vicki into the mechanics (because I just didn't have the time to do it myself), and when they tore the CV down and found that the outer race was boogered up. Since it, obviously, needed to be taken care of and it would help to eliminate one link in the chain of possible noise producers, we sent the axle off to a CV place and they refurbished the outer race. Everything was put back together (with new boot, axle seal, axle bearing, etc.) and now the noise is gone. WOOHOO!!:dan_ban:

Who would have thought that a bad CV would have made that much of a racket. I guess since the center section of the axle is hard mounted to the frame the noise and vibration was traveling back through the frame (and possibly the torsion bars) and showing up under the seats. Now I know.

Just as a back up plan I have a driver side axle that I found in a salvage yard on it's way, and as a back up to the back up plan I now have all of the part numbers from EMPI to replace everything.

A HUGE thanks to Triathlete, Marlin, Tom4Bren and BigMeatVX for all of their help through this ordeal. You guys are the best!! I love this family.:thumbup:

tom4bren
10/25/2010, 09:16 AM
Grats Dude.

Not that I want to pee on your charcoal but ...

When they reworked your outer race, they also had to compensate for that loss of material by installing over sized bearings (bigger balls).

That's what was done when mine was reworked. I noticed during installation that the bearings would slightly bind in the cage. I've not noticed any vibrations or anything & it's been over a year.

But ... I'm waiting for mine to bind up & explode. That's why I'm so interested to see what RCV comes up with for a replacement.

Maybe everything will be fine & I just worry too much.:)

MSHardeman
10/25/2010, 10:16 AM
Tom,

Not peeing on my charcoal by any means (interesting turn of phrase by-the-way). It's always nice to be on the look out for things.

Actually I talked to the mechanic and asked him what the CV place did to refurbish the outer race. Apparently what they did was to weld up the pits and scars in the outer race and then machine that back down to original specs so no need for larger balls (in the CV anyway :bwgy:). Everything in there is still stock Isuzu size. Guess we'll see how it holds up over the long haul.

vt_maverick
10/25/2010, 10:20 AM
Congrats, I was grounded all last week waiting on a transmission mode switch so I know the frustration of being without your baby. Have fun! :)

tom4bren
10/25/2010, 10:34 AM
Tom,

Not peeing on my charcoal by any means (interesting turn of phrase by-the-way). Quote shamelessly stolen from Henry Blake on MASH. It's always nice to be on the look out for things.

Actually I talked to the mechanic and asked him what the CV place did to refurbish the outer race. Apparently what they did was to weld up the pits and scars in the outer race and then machine that back down to original specs so no need for larger balls (in the CV anyway :bwgy:). Everything in there is still stock Isuzu size. Guess we'll see how it holds up over the long haul.

It sounds like they work some very nice magic at that shop. Only 1 remaining concern: Bearing races are hardened (see CV for Dummies pdf I posted a long time ago), does that shop do anything to ensure that the finished product is hardened as well?

MSHardeman
10/25/2010, 10:38 AM
Hmmmm.... I somehow doubt that they could guarantee that the fix is hardened too. I'll have to get the number of the CV joint from my mechanic and give them a call to see what's what.

Thanks for the heads up.

vt-mav - being without the baby IS frustrating, but it get's even worse when the second mode of transportation (the motorcycle) goes down with a broken axle bolt at the same time.:_mecker: Ain't nuttin' like busin' it.

tom4bren
10/25/2010, 10:44 AM
... being without the baby IS frustrating, ...

How 'bout paying too much for your VX but having your dream vehicle delivered to your driveway ... & there it sits for 3 weeks waiting on clear title so you can register/drive it.

Frustrating doesn't even come close.

Triathlete
10/25/2010, 01:26 PM
Glad to hear you got her up and mobile again! And just think of all those nice new friends you made on the bus!:bwgy:

tjh
10/25/2010, 04:53 PM
Another VX back home !

Ldub
10/25/2010, 06:12 PM
:dance:

That's the happy dance "ala' dub" for you Bro...:_wrench:.:thumbup:.:yesgray:

Glad she's back on the road.

pbkid
10/25/2010, 06:51 PM
:thumbup:

ZEUS
10/25/2010, 10:39 PM
Just in time for snow!!!

MSHardeman
10/26/2010, 07:29 AM
Exactly Justin. I was thinking of just driving her in two wheel drive, but we have been getting snow for the past couple of days, and with the short wheel base that little girl will switch ends on you faster than you can even think about it. I know the T.O.D. has saved my bacon more than once so I just put up with the separation anxiety (and a lighter wallet) to have her fixed up right.

VXIRONwoMAN
10/26/2010, 09:41 AM
:thumbup: Glad she's back home! Time to put her to work! :_snowplow

VX KAT
10/26/2010, 10:31 AM
Glad it all worked out Mark! I love your Plan A, B and C type approach too! Great minds think alike! :goof: