PDA

View Full Version : U-joint replace how to

Marlin
10/19/2010, 07:09 PM
Anyone have a U-joint replacement how to. Just ordered em for the VX and the Trooper RS (same parts). This looks fairly simple, but I have never messed with em before...I tried the planet, didn't see anything.

rowhard
10/19/2010, 07:38 PM
Here you go Chris.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/aa102602a.htm

It's pretty straightforward, but the first time can be a pain. You have a autoshop on base don't you? Go there, plenty of experts around to help out:)

Ascinder
10/19/2010, 07:50 PM
They're easier than you think. I don't know if that guide mentioned it or not, but you must install the new ones in the same orientation that the old ones were in. What I mean is that the shaft must line up with the yokes the same way it came out on both ends or you will get a nasty driveline vibration. As with everything mechanical it's a good idea to take pics before you take anything apart and mark indexing lines on what goes where. It is especially true of this. They can be surprisingly easy to screw up. Seen it happen way too often.

Marlin
10/20/2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks guys, I know about match marking anything that spins. Its strange that my auto experience is relatively new, yet I have been working on multimillion dollar 8MW turbine generators for 13 years. I have set fire to equipment that cost more than two brand new VXs put together...yet I hesitate to do something simple like U joints w/o instructions? LOL. Maybe I will do a VX specific write up with pics. We shall see. I don't even know if they need new ujoints, but at 13 bucks a pop, why not?

etlsport
10/21/2010, 06:08 AM
marlin, i got a printout through my works shop manual database that gives a step by step with specs. i dont have a scanner, but i can drop it in the mail for you if it would be helpful

tom4bren
10/21/2010, 08:27 AM
Eric,

I can scan it & post it to the DL section.

Tom

LittleBeast
10/21/2010, 09:51 AM
The place that did mine a month ago did a high speed balance on the driveshaft after they replaced the U-Joints, I don't know if this is necessary but it sounded like a good idea to me, they replaced and slightly repositioned the balancing weights to get it right.

rowhard
10/21/2010, 10:39 AM
The place that did mine a month ago did a high speed balance on the driveshaft after they replaced the U-Joints, I don't know if this is necessary but it sounded like a good idea to me, they replaced and slightly repositioned the balancing weights to get it right.

Yes, always worth it. When I do U-joints, I change them take to them for the balance to save a few bucks labor

etlsport
10/21/2010, 02:45 PM
ok tom, print-outs are on their way.. 7 pages

Marlin
11/01/2010, 07:21 PM
marlin, i got a printout through my works shop manual database that gives a step by step with specs. i dont have a scanner, but i can drop it in the mail for you if it would be helpful

Thanks, I am still on the road, I was gonna shoot you a PM, but if it gets scanned and added to our database, all the better.

vxfocus
11/01/2010, 08:25 PM
marlin,
where did you get the u joints for 13 bucks?every where i looked they were 30 or more.

Marlin
11/02/2010, 05:16 AM
marlin,
where did you get the u joints for 13 bucks?every where i looked they were 30 or more.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2001-Isuzu-Vehicross-4WD/U-Joint/_/N-jfq1pZ6o242?filterByKeyWord=universal+joint&fromString=search

vxfocus
11/02/2010, 03:44 PM
thanx are 2001 u joints the same for 99 vx?

Marlin
11/02/2010, 04:18 PM
thanx are 2001 u joints the same for 99 vx?

I dont see why not, but just go to the autozone website and put in a search for a 99, my wifes 93 Trooper RS took the exact same parts as well.

jmayer40
11/03/2010, 09:04 AM
it comes up up not available...

Marlin
11/03/2010, 10:01 AM
I just did a check on Isuzuparts, they list em as the same part. Weird that autozone doesn't offer it in the 99 model. I could not see there being a difference. I will be buying the driveshaft off the yard VX for a spare, I guess I can compare it then.