PDA

View Full Version : Difficult start

Tookie
10/19/2010, 01:52 AM
Hey, hopefully this hasn't been discussed before, otherwise I fail at search ;)

But recently, pretty much just today, happened 2-3 times:

Tried to start my baby, and nothing. It didn't try to crank or anything, had an odd lower toned beeping when the key was in the ignition and door was open. Battery is still good, I jumped started my friends car this past Friday, but other than that nothing odd, lil offroading awhile ago but nothing recent to jar it. Opened up the hood and didn't seem like there was anything off kilter, jiggled the wires and it started up it again? The other two times it happened just kept trying to turn the key and eventually it worked. Junk thing is it keeps reseting my radio, aiya!

Help a Hawaiian day? :D

crotchrocket
10/19/2010, 03:27 AM
If its re setting the radio then its definately a power fault before the starter motor on the battery side. I'd say check your battery connectors first as jiggling them helped, look for any damage and possible hot wiring etc

etlsport
10/19/2010, 04:24 AM
agree with crotchrocket.. sounds like a loose connection or a bad terminal on the battery. what kind of battery do you have in there? sometimes batteries that have both top and side post terminals can have terminals that come loose and while it looks fine, a good hard pull will move the terminal enough to break connection

vt_maverick
10/19/2010, 09:05 AM
Better bring along a battery booster or at least jumper cables with you. If the connection to the battery is coming loose while driving it means your alternator can't recharge the battery. Maybe not right away, but sooner or later you're going to have a dead battery from cranking without recharging (happened to me on my last vehicle).

Tookie
10/25/2010, 01:34 AM
Easy fix, in theory I guess haha.

Was gonna get an Optima, but had no time until all the places closed. So had to go to Walmart cuz needed a battery...was offroading the next day so I "had" too hehehe.

Walmart's car computer told me to buy a 27S or something, but that thing looked huge. Bought it anyway cuz I "needed" it, it is too big, was an inch higher than the battery that was in there before, so it touched the top of the hood...fire waiting to happen hooray. Was fine for offroading though, went to Sams Club got a YellowTop Optima, they only had the universal fit one though.

Good news and bad news lol, Its the same size'ish as the older battery, but the bad news is that my battery hook thingies that hold it in don't have enough thread to go down enough hahaha, so I had to put the spacer in, which made it the same height as the walmart one, so more touching the hood until I can get different hook stuffs.

Hooray its alive! Now to just fix the windows that completely crapped out haha, one down tons to go.