PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Question

Buffy
10/15/2010, 06:28 PM
When you pull the rear axle out, do you have to replace the seal or can you slip the axle back in?? I knew my dust shields were rusty but when I hit them with the sand blaster today, I could see all the way through them. I was wondering if I replaced the dust shields could I just slide the axles out, install the new shields and slide the axles back in. Thoughs or suggestions???

Ascinder
10/15/2010, 08:38 PM
It really depends on the condition of your seals, but given the condition the rest of the VX was in, I'd recommend replacing them just because you already have everything apart. They shouldn't be that expensive.

BigSwede
10/16/2010, 02:00 PM
They are not expensive, but in my experience I will say it is worth the extra buck or two to get Isuzu seals...the aftermarket ones I have tried leaked, but the OEMs did the trick.

PK
10/16/2010, 04:30 PM
I haven't had the VX rear axle apart, but in other cars I have done, to replace the axle seals you had to press the bearings off the shaft.
If you are going to the trouble of pressing the bearings off, you may as well replace them to.

Just depends if you have to press them off???

PK

BigSwede
10/18/2010, 07:35 AM
No, you don't have to remove the bearings...or I should say, they go with the axle shafts when you remove them. The seal stays in the end of the axle tube.