PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Preferred Oil?

fotomaker
10/15/2010, 11:58 AM
I am wondering if there is a consensus as to what oil is best for my new VX... Opinions Please!

Ascinder
10/15/2010, 02:07 PM
Mobil1. Seems like most people run this with a few running Royal Purple and maybe a handful(if that) running AMsoil. Use the search, this has been posted/polled/argued/debated for years now.

circmand
10/15/2010, 02:11 PM
Mobil1. Seems like most people run this with a few running Royal Purple and maybe a handful(if that) running AMsoil. Use the search, this has been posted/polled/argued/debated for years now.

Maintainance and regular oil changes any name brand oil is fine. Just make sure to change your PVC filter regularly and check your oil level more often than you think is necesary

ZEUS
10/15/2010, 03:30 PM
I personally noticed a difference between Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. Mobil 1 disappeared faster than RP so felt more comfortable using RP even tho it is more expensive.

johnnyapollo
10/15/2010, 04:30 PM
Mobile 1

Mile High VX
10/15/2010, 04:33 PM
I switched from AmZoil to Mobile One. It's less expensive, more available, and I have not seen and added consumption since the change. The VX uses about 1/4 of a quart between changes.

atilla_the_fun
10/15/2010, 05:45 PM
Shell Rotella 15w40 regular (or synthetic blend) - one trip halfway across the US and 1000 more miles, never lost a drop. Cons: diesel like chatter from the heavier oil (not actually a problem).

Riff Raff
10/15/2010, 07:27 PM
Penzoil regular "conventional" oil (not synthetic) is the only oil I will ever use. Unless it's a brand spanking new car with super low miles, I would never use synthetic oil.

On engines with a decent amount of miles, the varnish build-up deposits of conventional oil actually helps "seal" the engine between the seams of various components and helps prevent oil leakage. Sometimes switching from "conventional" to "synthetic" can cause more harm than good as it removes the varnish build-up deposits that help seal the engine, thereby causing oil leaks.

Just ask VX member "HYPERKID" who switched from conventional to synthetic in his VX and it caused major oil leaks. His VX eventually leaked oil out of various engine seams at an excellerated rate and his engine fried due to lack of oil. He had to replace his VX engine for $$$. Before he switched, his VX ran fine on normal conventional oil with never a problem or leak. Lesson learned.

Plus, conventional oil is way more inexpensive than synthetic!!!

Grif
10/15/2010, 08:05 PM
I switched over to Valvoline Maxlife which is a synthetic blend. No problems so far, it was recommended by one of my mechanics.

In fact i just drove in there yesterday to get topped off to prep for some highway miles (they top off all my cars for free) because I thought for sure with less than 1000 miles till my next oil change that I'd be low. Only took 1/2 qt and they gave me the rest of the qt "to go". So far I wouldn't categorize my engine as one of those problematic oil eaters at all. Knock on wood.

Y33TREKker
10/16/2010, 09:10 AM
Maintainance and regular oil changes any name brand oil is fine. Just make sure to change your PVC filter regularly and check your oil level more often than you think is necesary
X2 And it's possible there was a flaw in the VX's PCV system design, because there's no reason any PCV valve should need to be changed out as often as it seems to take to keep VX owners comfortable.

For that reason, replacing the PCV valve with a simple breather filter setup removes the potential for it causing oil usage problems.

JHarris1385
10/16/2010, 09:18 AM
Yup regular oil here and its been way better after about 3 changes of reg.

crotchrocket
10/16/2010, 11:35 AM
Halfords Own.......... :D

JoFotoz
10/16/2010, 01:00 PM
Why Johnsons Baby Oil of course.

Lighly warmed, some candles, red wine....:eek:

jo

FlyingV77
10/16/2010, 09:32 PM
im on my first run with amsoil. i drive alot usaly 500-600 miles a week. after 6,000 miles ive used less than 1/4qt. so far im happy. my shop sugested i use amsoil after remplaceing my motor a week after geting the vx

rowhard
10/17/2010, 12:54 PM
for those that like Mobil 1, Costco has a 9.00 off coupon going right now off of a 6qt case

stangri
10/18/2010, 06:44 PM
for those that like Mobil 1, Costco has a 9.00 off coupon going right now off of a 6qt case
Do you happen to know when the coupon expires? I'd like to stock up, but not sure when I'm going to the Costco in US next.

VXR
10/18/2010, 06:52 PM
Do you happen to know when the coupon expires? I'd like to stock up, but not sure when I'm going to the Costco in US next.

I sent him a PM with the same question

he said the coupon expires Nov 7th:yesb:

Triathlete
10/18/2010, 06:56 PM
That coupon comes out about once every 3 months or so. I always buy a case when I get one!:yesy::bwgy:

Triathlete
10/18/2010, 07:01 PM
Why Johnsons Baby Oil of course.

Lighly warmed, some candles, red wine....:eek:

jo

...seran wrap!:bwgy:

Knigh7s
10/18/2010, 08:28 PM
Eneos...

I started off using M1 and then switched to RP, but now use Eneos. Been using Eneos for almost a year now with very little oil consumption. I'll be switching out all other fluids on the bottom end with Eneos soon as well...

vt_maverick
10/19/2010, 09:26 AM
I switched to Castrol Edge (another synthetic) from Mobil 1 in both vehicles (VX and Axiom) about 6 months ago, because it supposedly has better wear protection than M1. The VX consumes about the same oil as before, but the oil seems clearer/cleaner now whenever I change it. The Axiom, which is a much bigger oil guzzler than my VX ever thought of being, seems to consume less though. But I recently changed from a M1 filter to a K&N filter on the Axiom, so that might be it too. Castrol Edge never went on sale when it first came out and ran like $8 a bottle. :eek: But now AutoZone/Advance seem to alternate their sale prices on Castrol Edge and Mobil 1, with 5 quarts of either + a K&N filter running about $30.

FWIW, I personally have come to believe that checking your oil frequently (every fill-up or even after every drive) makes a far bigger difference in preventing a problem than any oil/filter combo you choose.

fotomaker
10/21/2010, 10:26 AM
Thank you all for the opinions.

RIFF RAFF:

I have 27K. Does that affect your opinion?

Also...

I am going to use an additive called Xcel plus:

http://lubrilon.com/products/automotive.asp

I put this in my Celica AllTrac 100K miles ago and my milage increased and I've had NO engine or turbo problems at all. Many AllTrac owners cannot make that statement.

I'm a believer!

Riff Raff
10/21/2010, 06:19 PM
Thank you all for the opinions.

RIFF RAFF:

I have 27K. Does that affect your opinion?

Nope, way too many miles on yours for sure. I'm stickin' with normal regular "conventional" motor oil. It's more cost effective and does the same job without the fear of causing more harm than good. Like my Dad used to say-- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

:bgwb:

Viatcheslav
10/21/2010, 11:30 PM
Xenum oil, http://www.xenum.be/, and some russian VX's use it too.
Did you see this oil in your country?

fotomaker
10/22/2010, 02:31 AM
Nope, way too many miles on yours for sure. I'm stickin' with normal regular "conventional" motor oil. It's more cost effective and does the same job without the fear of causing more harm than good. Like my Dad used to say-- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

Thanks RR... I'm going with your advice!:)

fotomaker
10/22/2010, 02:36 AM
Xenum oil, http://www.xenum.be/, and some russian VX's use it too.
Did you see this oil in your country?

According to the website... No.

Thanks anyway!

hyperkid
10/25/2010, 04:11 PM
I use Penzoil on my new motor. Actually i think i used Penzoil on my last motor too before i switched to synthetic and it blew up. An experience i hope i never have to go through again. My new motor runs smooth and strong. I swear i have an obession now with checking my oil.

Triathlete
10/25/2010, 04:24 PM
Like my Dad used to say-- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

I guess we should all still be riding horses then!:bwgy:

By the way...I switched from conventional oil to mobil1 at 70,000miles. 70,000 miles later no leaks and running strong.:thumbup:
Also burn zero oil between changes!

circmand
10/25/2010, 04:28 PM
Who is more reliable on oil suggestions? The guy who uses 1-2 or the person who tries a new oil every time they change it? Frankly I do not think you can reliably judge an oil you use for just one cycle of oil.

raybob
10/25/2010, 04:30 PM
Rotella 10w40.

Unless you have a mutant 6Ve, you will burn a quart every 600-1000miles after the first 1000 of your oil change.

Catepillar Tractor honors their warranty on their $60k engines with Rotella.

It's cheaper than Mobil, Amzoil and the purple stuff. Don't forget that any oil is better than no oil.

Raybob::disturbed

Ldub
10/25/2010, 04:40 PM
FWIW, I personally have come to believe that checking your oil frequently (every fill-up or even after every drive) makes a far bigger difference in preventing a problem than any oil/filter combo you choose.

Ding-Ding-Ding...:yes:

We have a winner...:_wrench:..:thumbup:

That's the most sensible thing that's been posted in this entire thread.

I'm still very happy with Amzoil in every orifice that requires lubrication...:yesgray:

Usually choose Mobil one filters.

RickOKC
10/25/2010, 06:11 PM
I swear i have an obession now with checking my oil.
Woo hoo! I finally drove my first 3,000 miles and was less than 1/4 quart low. Mostly city driving with a few hours of low speed dirt roads and about 600 miles of highway at 80MPH. I wouldn't be surprised if half of the oil I lost wasn't simply wiped of the dipstick due to checking the oil level every day or two. :p I inherited my "new-to-me" VX with Mobile 1.

hyperkid
10/25/2010, 08:21 PM
I think the point to be made here was correctly stated by Raybob and Riff - any oil is better than no oil and if it aint broke don't fix it (synthetic conversion). Wish i had a time machine. Hmmm my VX would make a good future version of the back to the future car since i can get to 88 mph alot faster than a delorean.

circmand
10/26/2010, 08:28 AM
I'm still very happy with Amzoil in every orifice that requires lubrication...:yesgray:

You want to clarify that remark?

tom4bren
10/26/2010, 08:31 AM

I REALLY wish he wouldn't!!!

DogBoneVX
01/17/2011, 12:10 PM
Amsoil is cult oil. LOL

Sorry for grave digging this thread.

Ldub
01/17/2011, 05:32 PM

In the words of Clark W Griswold...

"Bend over, I'll show you"...:laughing:

Ldub
01/17/2011, 05:35 PM
Amsoil is cult oil.

:yesgray:

BeeVenom
01/28/2011, 07:15 PM
I've been using Castrol's europeon formula 0W30 synthetic with 'Made in Germany' on the bottle label. It's their Group IV full synthetic oil, while their other synthetics are really only Group III oils, and I have zero complaints or concerns about their product. And no oil usage either....... but who cares.....:bgwo: And the debate goes on! It always will!

Breezy
11/21/2011, 08:25 AM
Triathlete, I have about 70-80 grand on my engine too. I am thinking about swapping to Mobil1 synthetic. Is it worth it? I can't seem to make up my mind. Opinions just go back and forth about this. I am not sure what to do, but I go on a 700 mile trip tomorrow morning and I'm 300 miles overdue for an oil change. It HAS to be done today. Help?

tom4bren
11/21/2011, 09:39 AM
Breezy,

I recommend synthetic. It does not break down as fast as petroleum so I think it's better for a long haul like 700 miles of highway. It may or may not help with the longevity of an engine but if you are like me & don't follow the regularly scheduled maintenance the way you should, then synthetic is definitely the way to go.

Tom

atilla_the_fun
11/21/2011, 09:57 AM
I would be weary of switching to synthetic if you don't have the previous owner's documented work. Anyone disagree or agree?

I just switched to my winter weight 10W-30 oil. I normally run 15W-40 Shell Rotella, but because Walmart only has Rotella in a synthetic blend 10W-30 (and I don't really need the extra cost in the synthetic blend) I switched to Mobile "Super" 10W-30 high mileage, and I must say that it smells GREAT! It actually smells exactly like castrol high mileage, so it must be the additives and seal conditioners.

We'll see how this oil holds up.

Scott Larson
11/21/2011, 10:12 AM
I changed out all lubricants to Amsoil when I got my VX with 150,000 miles and have had no issues in 4000+ miles. I have no idea what the previous owner was using, as it came with no records...

VXobsession
11/21/2011, 12:48 PM
Rotella full synthetic

Breezy
11/21/2011, 12:52 PM
I just had Mobil1 full synthetic put in. I hope it was a good decision lol.

VXjunky
11/21/2011, 03:28 PM
I'm still very happy with Amzoil in every orifice that requires lubrication...
how ya get the stains outta the sheets?

H3_VX
11/21/2011, 04:06 PM
I currently run Royal Purple in my Hummer. When I do the first oil change on my VX (have not even put 200 miles on her since July) i'll be using RP most likely.

Ldub
11/21/2011, 04:59 PM
I'm still very happy with Amzoil in every orifice that requires lubrication...
how ya get the stains outta the sheets?

I've got an account @ sheets-R-us...:yesgray: